PDA

View Full Version : Subaru??

CVPP
01-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Alright...I got a question. I would like to know about the older subarus. Are they any good or are there alot of mechanical problems with them. I know my brother had one like 6 years ago and it was always fun to pretend I was shifting in it. But the thing was sweet it looked like a Nissian 240 or 300. I am not sure what type it was does anyone know anything about it?

Fuji
01-30-2003, 10:11 AM
SVX ... turbo

2000impreza
01-30-2003, 10:22 AM
i think the svx is non turbo flat 6 putting out close to 230hp.

Fuji
01-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i think the svx is non turbo flat 6 putting out close to 230hp.
I always thought they came in turbo as well?

Fuji
01-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Nope you are right..3.3L flat 6 @230HP

What a tank... 3600lbs !!!!

2000impreza
01-30-2003, 10:51 AM
the svx is not too bad. you can always get the forced air tech turbo kit for the svx.
http://www.forcedairtech.com/SUBARU-SVX.html

Ferio_vti
01-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Sux that SVX only came in auto.

m@+CH
01-30-2003, 11:46 AM
wow na engine pumpin' 230
i thought it was turbo??
made sense lookin at the current Wrx's and such

CLiVE
01-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Sux that SVX only came in auto.

I could be wrong, but didn't the SVX come in manual in the US, but only a FWD version. The SVX is actually a pretty boring car to drive day to day....It has to be one of the quietest cars on the market, thanks to the window design though. I almost bought one instead of my stealth.

I had an older Legacy, and had no problems with it whatsoever. Very reliable.

2000impreza
01-30-2003, 12:03 PM
yeah i agree, the svx is nothing special. they look kind of ugly if you ask me. haha.

___2PaC___
01-30-2003, 12:11 PM
I'd as RickDaTuner...sound like a subie guy

CLiVE
01-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
yeah i agree, the svx is nothing special. they look kind of ugly if you ask me. haha.

It's one of those designs you either really like, or really hate.

http://www.siue.edu/~efrankl/elf-svx1.jpg

Engine Specifcations:
3.3 liter 6 cylinder 24 valve DOHC Boxer engine.
230 horsepower @ 5400 rpm, Torque: 228 @ 4400 rpm
Multi-port fuel injection with dual spray injectors with Platinum-tipped spark plugs
Computerized management system with "Limp Home feature", incl. over-rev protection, monitors fuel injection and ignition.

Curb weight was around 3580 lbs.

http://www.subarusvx.com/

CLiVE
01-30-2003, 12:25 PM
ha ha. I thought this said "Subaru SUX" at first....:rofl:

http://www.subarusvx.com/images/homeslice.gif

szw
01-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

I could be wrong, but didn't the SVX come in manual in the US, but only a FWD version. The SVX is actually a pretty boring car to drive day to day....It has to be one of the quietest cars on the market, thanks to the window design though. I almost bought one instead of my stealth.

Pretty sure they are only automatic/AWD.

People have had success swapping a manual tranny ( from a legacy i think) into it.

I love the design...I think its more traditional sports-car'ish compared to the the last two generations of subaru's.

CLiVE
01-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by szw

Pretty sure they are only automatic/AWD.

Nope, they did come in a FWD version as well......

take a look at the specs.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

looks like the LS, and L models were FWD models offered until 1995. Looks like they were all automatic.

RickDaTuner
01-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ___2PaC___
I'd as RickDaTuner...sound like a subie guy Well I really don’t know Subaru Too well, i’m more of a Honda Guy like every one else. but I did do some research while back on this car

its a great car the LSI version cam with Front limited slip diff, a Viscous Limited Slip Diff in the Rear and a Multi Plate Clutch in the Middle which was Computer controlled to allow the car to go from its normal 60/40 to anywhere form 50/50 to 95/5 power distribution to the wheels

as other people have already mention the major Problems associated with his car wear the rear main bearings which would seize unexpectedly and a hard to maintain Automatic Transmission other than that its pretty reliable, if you could find one at a relatively good price then I say go for it in 94 I think it was they came out with two more models witch were FWD only the L and the LS

The tranny can be swapped out for another one. But it would be more head ach than anything; the cars computer controlled the engine and the Transmission. since the car had so much power Subaru Designed the CPU to marry the Tranny and the Engine into one fluent machinery, they achieved this by allowing one bank of the engine to go limp under hard acceleration, so if you were to Put he car under heavy acceleration when it released the gear and was in the Process of switch to a higher gear 3 of the Six cylinder would go limp to aid with Rev matching, so if you were to Switch over to a manual tranny you would not only have to add all the Hydraulic lines and Pedals and what not but you would also have to change the ECU, which would then render the Active Center multi plate Clutch useless

A better way to go would be have the tranny rebuilt with more reliable parts and add a tranny cooler; this would be a far better solution than loosing some valuable Electronics

Ben
01-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by m@+CH
wow na engine pumpin' 230
i thought it was turbo??
made sense lookin at the current Wrx's and such

New Porsche Carrera is 380hp na out of a small flat 6

GTS Jeff
01-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Multi-port fuel injection with dual spray injectors with Platinum-tipped spark plugs
Computerized management system with "Limp Home feature", incl. over-rev protection, monitors fuel injection and ignition. http://www.subarusvx.com/ lol....just about ALL fuel injected engines have those "features".

CLiVE
01-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
lol....just about ALL fuel injected engines have those "features".

:D The engine specs were just a straight copy/paste off of that site....:dunno:

hinggu
01-30-2003, 07:04 PM

It's one of those designs you either really like, or really hate.

http://www.siue.edu/~efrankl/elf-svx1.jpg

Don't know how i feel about the windows though

4wheeldrift
01-30-2003, 10:02 PM

I had an older Legacy, and had no problems with it whatsoever. Very reliable. There was never a manual version of the SVX produced anywhere. At the time they were produced, Subaru did not have a manual box capable of handling the torque of the flat six. Every SVX ever made has an automatic.

4wheeldrift
01-30-2003, 10:27 PM
lol....just about ALL fuel injected engines have those "features". That was quite advanced for a early '90s model. One thing the techincal specs don't mention is the ECUs ability to selectively shut down one bank of cylinders during shifting to lessen driveline shock.

GTS Jeff
01-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
That was quite advanced for a early '90s model. One thing the techincal specs don't mention is the ECUs ability to selectively shut down one bank of cylinders during shifting to lessen driveline shock. ok THAT is cool :)

but as for the other features...even my car has a rev limiter and a limp mode! and it also has platinum spark plugs too for that matter...haha not exactly stock though

4wheeldrift
01-30-2003, 10:32 PM
but as for the other features...even my car has a rev limiter and a limp mode! and it also has platinum spark plugs too for that matter...haha not exactly stock though Work with me here Jeff :D At the time, those were things that not a lot of cars had, depending on what sort of spec your OBD system featured. The fun thing about OBD1 was that there was no standard, so you could have everything from the absolute basics to systems that were extremely close to a modern OBD2 system.