PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys get?

CryoCarnage
08-07-2005, 03:16 PM
My Brother who is 19 is finally getting his 2st car. he was never interested in cars until i started showing him some car videos and he fell in love(i think) i taught him how to drive 5 and 6 speed(done on my celica and a 1.6 e.l :D) and he really likes it. He is now on the verger betwee 2 cars. We both went and checked them out and they were both in real good condition. 1` is a 1991 Toyota MR2 with 180 clicks from a dealership that can also add warranty to the deal. Seling for 7k. The other one is a GASP 2g Eclipse. 1997 TSi AWD for 6k. Its a private sale and the car neds a new clutch. Both are great condition. He wants a daily driver in winter and in summer. i know that the mr2's aren't the best and now way they can stack up to eagle talons in winter (awd of course) but they can be driven. He has a defense for the talon being the age. 97 vs 91 is a plus but my defense was that they dont have a great diff between clicks and the Talon was probably driven in winter. Also its got toyota reliability. Which car would you pick? Would you pick anthibng else? He doesnt want fwd so also keep that in mind. Finally Keep in mind that he is a student and gas prices arent helping :( .

FiveFreshFish
08-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Get a BMW E30 325is.

trikypenguin
08-07-2005, 03:49 PM
300zx tt

CryoCarnage
08-07-2005, 04:51 PM
7-8k dollars guys... and he doesnt want to import.

MiG_Master
08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Go for the Talon, the AWD does help in the winter, the MR2 is not too good if in snow without winter tires. Plus, the MR2 is only NA, and working in those engines bays is a pain.

schurchill39
08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
...is a GASP 2g Eclipse. 1997 TSi AWD for 6k. Its a private sale and the car neds a new clutch....He has a defense for the talon being the age. 97 vs 91 is a plus but my defense was that they dont have a great diff between clicks

where did the "gasp 2g eclipse" come from. What are the KM's on the Talon and from what i have heard talon clutches are expensive and a bitch to change. I am not a DSM expert nor do i even know a bit But i have heard they can run around the 1 grand mark.

He wants a daily driver in winter and in summer. i know that the mr2's aren't the best and now way they can stack up to eagle talons in winter (awd of course) but they can be driven. my defense was that they dont have a great diff between clicks and the Talon was probably driven in winter

Hmmm well if he wants a daily driver that is driven in the summer and WINTER then i dont really think your defense about winter driven is valid as it will be winter driven anyways.

I suggest the MR2 as they are a very stylish car and with a good set of winter tires and a good attitude he should be fine in the winter.

DonJuan
08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
any JDM Silvia, Supra, Skyline GTS-T, MR-2 Turbo, RX7 Turbo, etc... anything but a Talon...:thumbsdow

dave101
08-07-2005, 10:33 PM
^^^^lol i thot he said 7-8k range:rolleyes:

CryoCarnage
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
is there anyone here that drives a MR2 in winter?

heavyD
08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
any JDM Silvia, Supra, Skyline GTS-T, MR-2 Turbo, RX7 Turbo, etc... anything but a Talon...:thumbsdow

I agree. He is a student and not really interested in cars. Talon will pack too much performance. Silvia would be a better choice as Civic like performance would be better for him.

heavyD
08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
What are the KM's on the Talon and from what i have heard talon clutches are expensive and a bitch to change. I am not a DSM expert nor do i even know a bit But i have heard they can run around the 1 grand mark.

DSM clutches cost no more than any other import car and changing the clutch is not that hard a job either. $700 max which is about the same as a civic.

CryoCarnage
08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I agree. He is a student and not really interested in cars. Talon will pack too much performance. Silvia would be a better choice as Civic like performance would be better for him.

Talon pack too much performance? thats the first time ive ever heard that one :D No offence dsm guys :burnout:

heavyD
08-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Talon pack too much performance? thats the first time ive ever heard that one :D No offence dsm guys :burnout:

I was being sarcastic to the moron who suggested you import the old jdm beaters. We have enough beaters on our roads why bring in Japan's rejects?

thinmyster
08-09-2005, 10:33 AM
i drove my N/a one winter w/ winter tires and never had a problem it drove prefectly fine. you shouldnt have problems either

sputnik
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Friends dont let friends buy JDM fadmobiles.

Get the Talon.

rage2
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm gonna sound like a dad here. He's 19, 1st car. Start slow. Especially since you got him to love cars through car videos. Buy a slow stock car, civic or a 240sx or something depending on preference. Go to AutoX and learn how to drive it. You don't need a fast car to have tons of fun and learn tons of stuff at the track. Only then should he step into something faster.

thinmyster
08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
91 n/a arent that fast.. trust me i should know

Weapon_R
08-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I was being sarcastic to the moron who suggested you import the old jdm beaters. We have enough beaters on our roads why bring in Japan's rejects?

Couldn't agree more. I have not yet seen a JDM car in excellent condition. Granted, they are older vehicles, but someone who imports a vehicle across the globe should make sure that the one they get isn't a complete piece, and rarely does that happen.