PDA

View Full Version : quick sound question

PSJanis
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to get some clarification...if I have a 5.1 system and add 2 speakers n a woofer, is it now 7.2 or 7.1?

googe
08-07-2005, 06:37 PM
it will either stay a 5.1 or become a 7.1, depending what your receiver supports. its determined by the number of channels, not the number of speakers. if you have 2 subs on 1 channel, its still .1.

PSJanis
08-07-2005, 06:45 PM
the subs are on 2 diff channels

googe
08-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by PSJanis
the subs are on 2 diff channels

oh, i didnt know there were any receivers that had 2 seperate sub channels. if thats the case it would be .2

GTS Jeff
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by googe

oh, i didnt know there were any receivers that had 2 seperate sub channels. if thats the case it would be .2 I don't know of any receiver that has more than one discrete subwoofer channel, not to mention that the "best" surround sound format out is still 6.1 channel.

I think the only plausible thing explanation here is that PJpenis here hooked up 2 subs as piggybacks off the main front speakers, which can be ok if you really know what you're doing.

GTS Jeff
08-07-2005, 07:27 PM
I'll also point out that the reason no one uses more than one sub channel is because frequencies below 80 Hz are supposed to be nondirectional and only the nerdiest hi-fi geeks claim to be able to discern where the subwoofer is located (my dad is one of those people, but I think he's full of shit, especially since he's old haha.)

Anyway, many people do use 2 subs hooked up to the same LFE channel, mainly to compensate for poor acoustics.

PSJanis
08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
ok...GoToSuck Jeff...thanx for the nickname...its PSJanis if u cant read. My acoustics are awesome but since i have somewhat puny woofers i decided to put one behind n one in front...now the whole floor shakes...not just the front. but otherwise my acoustics are awesome. i just wanted to know how to classify it incase someone asked.

GTS Jeff
08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by PSJanis
ok...GoToSuck Jeff...thanx for the nickname...its PSJanis if u cant read. My acoustics are awesome but since i have somewhat puny woofers i decided to put one behind n one in front...now the whole floor shakes...not just the front. but otherwise my acoustics are awesome. i just wanted to know how to classify it incase someone asked. I'm sorry for the typo; it was an honest mistake. If you can easily discern bass coming from the front, it probably means that either your sub is distorting, or again, poor acoustics, which is very common since very few people have the resources to build a theater room to exacting dimensions. Instead of using two puny subs, you'd probably have better luck with one high quality sub in proper placement.

Hope that helps,

"GoToSuck" Jeff

PSJanis
08-08-2005, 11:52 AM
lol...sorry jeff, i thought u were tryin to dis me, no hard feelings...i still cant see where u got PJPenis from PSJanis but ok.
This is actually my computer's sound system in my own bedroom. so i do the best with what i got, especially considering the lack of $$$$ that seems to be an epidemic of sorts. :dunno:
the sound is good, but i hardly think it could be distorting. even if thats the case...the distortion is minimal (unless you crank it all the way up).

GucciBoy
08-08-2005, 04:18 PM
i have a question (just didnt want to start a thread for this) since this is on sound. Is there any way to get Dolby D sound quality with 2.1 setup? For music mainly. I know you wont get the surround, but im just talking quality wise. Will a 5.1 card instantly put that in?

PSJanis
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
check out Creative.com

GTS Jeff
08-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
i have a question (just didnt want to start a thread for this) since this is on sound. Is there any way to get Dolby D sound quality with 2.1 setup? For music mainly. I know you wont get the surround, but im just talking quality wise. Will a 5.1 card instantly put that in? CD audio is already higher quality than Dolby Digital.

googe
08-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
CD audio is already higher quality than Dolby Digital.

yep.

not only that, but even if it werent, your output can not be of higher quality than your input really. so it wouldnt make sens to try. youd just have redundant data. a shitty source sound isnt magically better when you output it at a high bitrate.

heres some numbers

CD audio bitrate = 1141kbps
Dolby Digital = up to 640kbps
DVD Video = up to 448kbps
MP3 = up to 320kbps
DD+ (when its out) = up to 3Mbps

not like anyone can discern past 320kbps on a 2 channel recording anyway...