PDA

View Full Version : getting tivo to work on local hdtv providers?

googe
08-07-2005, 06:53 PM
is this possible? im missing all the good HBO shows in hdtv because of my work schedule, so id like to use a tivo to record them. im on starchoice, and they do have a pvr out, but its a piece of garbage and even when it actually works it doesnt have any good features.

what are other ways to record hdtv shows off a setup like mine?

rage2
08-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Tivo only makes 1 HD unit and it only works for DirecTV. There is no way to record HDTV unless it's a PVR from that specific provider. Are these shows on MC?

googe
08-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Are these shows on MC?

yes they are...does this help me? :)

is there any kind of outboard solution? theres gotta be something i can plug in between the hd receiver and my tv.

rage2
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
If you have $10k, you can buy a HD encoder lol.

There's really no solution. Bell has a great HD PVR but Bell doesn't have a 24/7 MC HD channel because MC on the west is owned by Shaw, and TSN is owned by bell, and they fight a lot so on bell's MCHD u only get like 1 movie and 1 show a day while Starchoice and Shaw u get the 24/7 channel. It's lame.

Shaw's PVR is just as basic as SC's.

b_t
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
shaw has a waft of HD stuff though. I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty certain that all the literature for the HD set top we got from them says that all shaw video on demand movies are HD. that could have been marketing talk, or theoretical. I'll see if I can't find the fine print, if you would be interested in switching.

googe
08-07-2005, 09:55 PM
VOD and PPV on shaw are not HD. i know this because non-hd customers are able to view it :) shaw has about the worst selection and worst PQ ive seen between the local providers (though i havent watched HD on bell, they got me on a 2 year phone contract, they arent getting me on TV too). 7 channels and low bitrate :thumbsdow

rage2: i can live with the lack of features, but i dunno if youre familiar with the starchoice dsr530...they shipped it with terribly buggy software and even after rushing out several updates, most people are returning them. there are so many bugs that its a gamble whether or not youll actually come back to have your show recorded. sigh :(

i really want hockey in HD when it starts up, so i wish bell and shaw would compromise and trade TSN for MC. unfortunately for me way more people are probably interested in MC so starchoice is keeping the better cards.

b_t
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
oh shit you're right! fuck. then we only have 5 HD channels, and they look really good, but the movie channel shows Bowling for Columbine and Cellular over... and over... and over... and over... I thought VOD at least would be in HD. gay, $800 to watch the same few movies in HD. the other three channels are ones nobody would ever watch, but we do have sportsnet....

rage2
08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
If you want hockey in HD then bell is the way to go. You dont need a contract if you buy the 9220 kit.

At least you get to see movies over and over on shaw/SC. The MCHD channel on bell plays 1 movie a day, and the guide is 44 hrs, so I have to check what's coming up daily to find a movie to record. So annoying!

googe
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
If you want hockey in HD then bell is the way to go. You dont need a contract if you buy the 9220 kit.

nope, youre on crack. :) bell wont take any new subs without minimum 1 yr contract. 2 yr if you dont want to pay for install.

plus the fact that they treat their customers like criminals and need to know every little thing about you

shaw actually has 7 channels though. mc hd, pbs, abc, nbc, cbs, sportsnet, fox. i dunno why you dont like mc hd, there isnt that much repetition...and you get all the good hbo shows :)

i just found out that tsn hd only has like 3 shows they broadcast in hd anyways, so until they fix that its just a waste. cbc hd and sportsnet hd are probably going to be the way to go.

rage2
08-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I just signed up on bell after dropping them 2 years ago. No contract. Installed everything myself. They want to know everything about you because it's mandated by the CRTC from pressure by shaw due to piracy the last few years. Their stupid ass PRISM system for buying equipment is required in order to keep their license.

Not defending bell, I hate bell. There's a LOT of I hate bell threads that I posted. But man, their new HD-PVR is really nice.

Shaw is losing fox I heard. They also broadcast their HD at about 10mbit (vs 15-17mbit on bell) so quality suffers in high motion scenes.

I dont have shaw no more. I have bell and dtv.

edit - 2 yr commitment is for rentals where you get a shitload of credits. If you pay full price for the equipment you can go month to month.

edit #2 - 2 yr is for 9220 rental. 1 yr on others

(thx kenny)

googe
08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
I just signed up on bell after dropping them 2 years ago. No contract. Installed everything myself.

i dunno how you pulled that off. maybe cause you were a previous sub? if you go to their website and sign up, they make you pick either 1 or 2 year, theres no option anywhere to go no contract. ive also talked to reps directly and they told me to sign up for at least a year or take a hike. if you dropped them for under 6 months though, you arent considered a new sub. its in their terms and conditions.

They want to know everything about you because it's mandated by the CRTC from pressure by shaw due to piracy the last few years. Their stupid ass PRISM system for buying equipment is required in order to keep their license.

if its mandated, why doesnt starchoice ask for your info? its much easier buying with them, gave them a billing address and paid and no questions asked. none of this drivers license photocopying shit, or mandatory credit card on file. is it cause there arent known starchoice hacks?

They also broadcast their HD at about 10mbit (vs 15-17mbit on bell) so quality suffers in high motion scenes.

do you know what starchoice uses off hand?

edit: answered my own question doing some research. SC is about 17-19, BEV is about 10-16 supposedly? you should be able to calculate it easily if you have some shows recorded though.

edit - 2 yr commitment is for rentals where you get a shitload of credits. If you pay full price for the equipment you can go month to month.

their website and their reps say otherwise...

rage2
08-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by googe
i dunno how you pulled that off. maybe cause you were a previous sub? if you go to their website and sign up, they make you pick either 1 or 2 year, theres no option anywhere to go no contract. ive also talked to reps directly and they told me to sign up for at least a year or take a hike. if you dropped them for under 6 months though, you arent considered a new sub. its in their terms and conditions.
Just have to buy the right receiver, the ones without any credits.

if its mandated, why doesnt starchoice ask for your info? its much easier buying with them, gave them a billing address and paid and no questions asked. none of this drivers license photocopying shit, or mandatory credit card on file. is it cause there arent known starchoice hacks?
Shaw pushed for it. Shaw owns starchoice. The implementation of these conditions are to ensure that in case bell get hacked in the future it can be tracked. Starchoice isn't hacked. But could be as just like Bell. Politics ;).

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/common_scripts/dailynews/print_version.asp?id=23129

Conditions of the bell license.

googe
08-08-2005, 12:43 AM

Just have to buy the right receiver, the ones without any credits.

haha, dude, try it right now. you cant! i am trying specifically with the 9220.

old&slow
08-08-2005, 06:49 AM
HD is so very nice...the implemetation is fucking lame!

rage2
08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
haha, dude, try it right now. you cant! i am trying specifically with the 9220.
I guess it only works buying at a store. There's also secret ways to go without a contract and get shitloads of credits too hehe.

Originally posted by old&slow
HD is so very nice...the implemetation is fucking lame!
What do you mean the implementation is lame?

googe
08-08-2005, 08:39 AM

I guess it only works buying at a store. There's also secret ways to go without a contract and get shitloads of credits too hehe.

oh? do tell...