PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Restaurants...

Jynx
08-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Looking for a nicer place to go... idearly has a variety of items
any suggestions?

t-im
08-08-2005, 04:39 AM
What do you mean by a "variety of items?"

Anyways, nicer places to go to in Calgary, all varying cuisines:
La Chaumiere
River cafe
Muse (menu is a bit limited but it's generally pretty decent)
Centini
Teatro (its closed for reno's right now)
The Belvedere
O.N. Bar & Grill (formerly Owls Nest)
La Caille on the Bow (it's pretty bad there)
Chicago Chophouse
Vintage Chophouse
Hy's
Caesars
The Bears Den
Catch

sputnik
08-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Verve Kensington
Wildwood Brewing Co
Osteria De La Medici
Da Guidos
Cannery Row

Ben
08-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by t-im
What do you mean by a "variety of items?"

Anyways, nicer places to go to in Calgary, all varying cuisines:
La Chaumiere
River cafe
Teatro (its closed for reno's right now)
The Belvedere
O.N. Bar & Grill (formerly Owls Nest)
Vintage Chophouse
Hy's
Caesars

Originally posted by sputnik
Verve Kensington
Wildwood Brewing Co
Osteria De La Medici
Cannery Row

I have been to these ones and they were all decent! Caesars is my fave tho.

Do not to to La Caille however, that place is absolute shit.

Big review/bashing thread here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37688

black_2.5RS
08-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Are you looking for a fancy and severely punishing restaurant?

Whatever your looking for, couple of my favourites are:
Try out:
- Rouge in Inglewood.
- Murrieta's (sp) by the Bay downtown
- Il Sogno - is highly recommended by some people in my office.

2000_SI
08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
The Cattle Barron is a good choice if you are looking for a nice, fancy steak house, but not something thats going to cost $150 for two people.

Highly recomend it over The Keg, and I even like it better than the chophouse, since I have never had a less than excelent experience at the Barron.

Mind you, that is at the Sundance location, which I have heard is far better than its northern counterpart...

Jynx
08-08-2005, 12:15 PM
well im looking for a place to take a date
more of a romantic kinda place..

FishPoo
08-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Calgary Tower restaurant, when the sun's about to set ;)

t-im
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jynx

I've been to all the restaurants i've listed but it's been awhile for some of them so I can't remember much.

I personally like to go to La Chaumiere, but alot of people find the atmosphere a bit too "stuffy."

Stay away from La Caille.

The last time I ate at Hy's it wasn't very good. I really enjoy Vintage Chophouse + Caesars

I would definitely say go to Muse, but the last time I was there (a week ago) the food and service was rather dismal.

Teatro is pretty hit or miss too, had good experiences and bad experencies there.

Centini is pretty good.

I haven't been to Chicago Chophouse after the whole reno thing but i've heard it's alot better.

River Cafe is pretty romantic - the whole walking to there, and etc. The food is pretty good too, different.

Alot of these places have a pretty nice atmosphere for a date, so it really comes down to a)how much you want to pay b) what you want to eat

RC-Cola
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Murrieta's is nice in the dinning room and fairly responable for the $$$. If your feeling rich you can ask for a booth at the Calgary Tower (at night) or the Living Room is nice as well.

Or you might want to do the Mack thing that your girl will really appreciate and cook her a meal yourself. Watch the Food Network for tips and recipes and then go to www.foodtv.com and get all of your recipes. :bigpimp:

Jynx
08-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

Murrieta's is nice in the dinning room and fairly responable for the $$$. If your feeling rich you can ask for a booth at the Calgary Tower (at night) or the Living Room is nice as well.

Or you might want to do the Mack thing that your girl will really appreciate and cook her a meal yourself. Watch the Food Network for tips and recipes and then go to www.foodtv.com and get all of your recipes. :bigpimp:

Hows the food at the tower tho?

me and cooking doesnt work (id probz burn the house down)

dino_martini
08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
the food at the tower is good. I was there on Saturday. Its sort of expensive. maybe 12 bucks for an appetiser. Its a nice place though

Impreza
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Murrieta's is definetly a good choice!

Proyecto2000
08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
The Rimrock room at the Palliser is very nice, also Saltikk *sp* near the bay down town is good

RC-Cola
08-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Hows the food at the tower tho?

me and cooking doesnt work (id probz burn the house down)

The Tower had major renos about a year and a half ago and they revamped their menu. I was there with my wife and it was excellent.

As for cooking yourself, remember any clown can take her out to dinner, it takes a man to cook it! Follow the recipes and the instructions and you'll be fine, just don't get too fancy and make a Mousse Cake or something. Trust me the girl will appeciate the extra effort. :thumbsup:

Kritafo
08-09-2005, 08:44 AM
we just went to cannery row on Sunday and I can say it was a bad meal experience. They had the nerve to serve minute rice...we weren't even told about menu specials and we ended up having to order from the regular menu for our kids who like most kids weren't exactly into a Pad Thai...we found out after they had a kids menu. I mean we sat there with the kids pouring over the menu for 20 minutes she kept coming back to take our order and we kept saying the kids weren't ready they didn't know what to have, what did she recommend for the kids. etc. Then we start our meal and another waiter tells us they offer a kids menu. I was fuming. I paid 20+ for meals my children wouldn't eat. If I was told about the damn chicken strips I would have got them!

Yes dining becomes a challenge with kids.

I can say that the tower is romantic .. But it also depends on what you difine as romantic. One of my most memorable times was a market bought meal spread, picnic baskets, blanket and Shakespear in the park. They had a company catering with picnic baskets full of wonderful items.

My big complaint with La Caille and La Chaumiere is you have to enjoy that sort of food. I am not into sauces that cover the natural flavors. I have never enjoy wine sauces.

More than anything I hate going to a restaurant and being treated like you shouldn't be there, we showed up in pants/tshirts and hats. Were treated like a bunch of hicks spent over 150 and the waitress woudn't give us the time of day. I am buying she is working...work for it. It's her job.

Never underestimate the art of complaining. IT's a very powerful tool. Like this forum spreading the good or bad news.

take care
Kritafo

RSeXy
08-09-2005, 09:19 AM
The Verve is good. Second time service was mediocre, but the seafood platter is delish!

B17a
08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
I have been to all the aforementioned restaurants over the years. Rouge in Inglewood is absolutely the best, cool old house (supposedly haunted) and the best food I have ever had!:thumbsup:

ondubs
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I would like to suggest to you the Belvedere. One of Calgary's top Restaurants, service is outstanding and the restaurant is quiet and calm but not to the point where you can hear other people's conversation. An outstanding place to take a date.

Kritafo, most upstanding restaurants have a minimal dress code. If you follow the dress code you will not have any problems, call ahead if you are unsure. Following the dress code shows respect for the chef and the rest of the staff.

theken
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ive never been anywhere fancy

B17a
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by theken
ive never been anywhere fancy

Well, maybe if you cleaned yourself up and put on something nice once in a while!:D

lude_grl
08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
i went to the living room tonight, great atmosphere and ithe food was amazing

asp integra
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
theres a place in sunterra up 17th past sarcee i think its called sizzles or something, right next to the subway, thats a really nice place, the food is great and the atmosphere is great too, and the prices wernt super high, i highly recomend this place

kiwi
08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Try out the Carver's restaurant inside the Sheraton Cavalier hotel on 32nd Ave NE!

Romantic ambience, AAA Silver beef...

I haven't been there myself yet, but my parents have.

They say its expensive, but worth every penny!

Altezza
08-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
Murrieta's is definetly a good choice!

Good if you go in small groups or as a couple. Service sux for booking large groups since they automatically tack on the 15% gratuity and the staff don't "work" for the tip. I was very disappointed in the level of service when I was there very recently.

lastprodigy
08-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Looking for a nicer place to go... idearly has a variety of items
any suggestions?

whats "idearly" :dunno:

kiwi
08-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

whats "idearly" :dunno:

idealy?

QuasarCav
08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

idealy?

ideally

lastprodigy
08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

ideally

i know haha i was jsut making fun of the fob english...

tictactoe2004
08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
A&W

...lol, remember the commercial? "Mmmmmmm, Fancy Schmancy"

lol

KELSTAR
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by lude_grl
i went to the living room tonight, great atmosphere and ithe food was amazing

anyone have any more thoughts on the Living Room?
I'm going there tonight..

t-im
08-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by KELSTAR

anyone have any more thoughts on the Living Room?
I'm going there tonight..

I don't like it there for actual dinner. It has a nice atmosphere if you drop in for snacks/drinks, but I personally don't think it feels like a "fine dining" establishment.

KELSTAR
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM

I don't like it there for actual dinner. It has a nice atmosphere if you drop in for snacks/drinks, but I personally don't think it feels like a "fine dining" establishment.

that;s perfect.. cause i'm going there for drinks tonight! thanks!

jumperman8
08-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I went to Cannery Row last night for a friends b-day, and i have nothign but good things to say about it.

wonderful place, great food, and friendly services. Highly recommend this to any seafood lovers.

HRD2PLZ
08-23-2005, 11:33 AM

I agree. Its a nice atmosphere for good drinks and conversation :thumbsup: Their Bernard Callebeaut Fondue was amazing last time I was there :drool:

chris
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by kiwi
Try out the Carver's restaurant inside the Sheraton Cavalier hotel on 32nd Ave NE!

Romantic ambience, AAA Silver beef...

I haven't been there myself yet, but my parents have.

They say its expensive, but worth every penny!
the bears den, they serve AAAA grade beef

89coupe
08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
If you like Italian I suggest La Tavola's on Penny Lane. My buddies brother owns it and its top notch Italian food with a very nice atmosphere. Be prepared to pay though.

SiG Baby
08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Newport Grill...it used to be the Inn on Lake Bonavista and it is great. Pretty far away, but worth the drive.

Donmega
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I know this thread is uber old, but.....any new suggestions or good experiences? Going out this Saturday with my Fiance and just want it to be real nice.

98type_r
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
capo in inglewood is nice

jdmakkord
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Donmega
I know this thread is uber old, but.....any new suggestions or good experiences? Going out this Saturday with my Fiance and just want it to be real nice.

Murietta's is still a great choice. I went to Gnocci's a couple of weeks back and it was awesome as well.

colinderksen
10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Tribune on 8th ave. Make sure you are sitting in the downstairs dining room. Great place, i've been to 90% of the ones mentioned and this is by far my favorite.

A790
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Jacqueline Suzanne's in Inglewood :)

You should try it out :)

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=132838&x=articles&s=dine

http://www.ffwdweekly.com/Issues/2003/0731/food.htm

Menu (http://www.calgaryrestaurants.ca/restaurants/Jacqueline%20Suzannes%20Bistro/menu.php)

mekeni
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Belgo's

HybridTheory
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
capo in inglewood is nice

:werd: I've heard great things about Capo

Ice712
10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by FishPoo
Calgary Tower restaurant, when the sun's about to set ;)

View = Nice

Food = Below Average

Service = Below Average

Value = Terrible

Euro838
10-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by B17a
I have been to all the aforementioned restaurants over the years. Rouge in Inglewood is absolutely the best, cool old house (supposedly haunted) and the best food I have ever had!:thumbsup:

That's good to hear, do you think $120 is enough for a good meal there?

Enough for 2 that is.