PDA

View Full Version : 92 honda civic problems

muck12
08-08-2005, 10:24 AM
hey everyone
ok i have a 1992 honda civic cx (automatic) and it has been giving me problems ever since i baught it. My major problem right now is the cooling system, the car keeps over heating. so far ive changed the cracked rad, chaged the rad hose, and the thermostat, still over heating...

im starting to think that it might be the water pump... not sure tho

my car is running a little rough, its shuttering at stoplights and sometime even staling. to prevent that i tried changing the spark plugs and the sparkplug wires still shuttering...

the body of this car is awesome so i dont want to get rid of it

any sudgestions on what i can do to stop both the problems?

Primer_Drift
08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
First off, is your rad fan coming on? Second is there oily residue in the coolant?

GSR Zero
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Hmmm the engine is stuttering huh? Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Get it checked out. Hopefully your cylinder head hasn't warped.

muck12
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
First off, is your rad fan coming on? Second is there oily residue in the coolant?

Originally posted by GSR Zero
Hmmm the engine is stuttering huh? Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Get it checked out. Hopefully your cylinder head hasn't warped.

the rad fan is working and yes there is oily residue in the coolant.

GSR Zero
08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by muck12

the rad fan is working and yes there is oily residue in the coolant.

Definitely sounds like a blown head gasket. You'll have to get your cylinder head removed and gasket replaced. At the same time check if the cylinder head was warped or not. If it is, you might be able to get it machined depending on how bad it is. If not you'll have to look for a new head.

Primer_Drift
08-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah sounds like headgasket to me too. The engine compression leaking out into the coolant is often mistaken for simple "overheating". It causes large pockets of air to build up displacing the coolant, hence why the engine starts to overheat..
Check the engine compression, it should give you an idea of how bad the headgasket is leaking, I can almost garauntee it is though.

As GSR Zero said, hopefully your deck and head are not warped.. the head is easy enough to be machined, but you'd most likely have to do both (block and head) if one is warped. Which means either engine rebuild, or swap. How many km's on the engine?

muck12
08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Yeah sounds like headgasket to me too. The engine compression leaking out into the coolant is often mistaken for simple "overheating". It causes large pockets of air to build up displacing the coolant, hence why the engine starts to overheat..
Check the engine compression, it should give you an idea of how bad the headgasket is leaking, I can almost garauntee it is though.

As GSR Zero said, hopefully your deck and head are not warped.. the head is easy enough to be machined, but you'd most likely have to do both (block and head) if one is warped. Which means either engine rebuild, or swap. How many km's on the engine?

this might b kind of stupid but the the engine has just over 300k on it but i got the car for really cheap so it didn't really matter. now that i have all of these problems on my hands me and my buddy are thinking of just changing the engine and while were at it, changing it to a manual tranny (will be a pain) but after driving manual for 2 years then having to go to automatic gets kinda boring. can anyone hook me up with a manual tranny? or know anyone that can? give me a call on my cell 403-615-2164 or just pm me

Supa Dexta
08-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a 92 4 door, 5 spd that needs to go, I was driving it every day until I parked it.. But it's like yours, shuddering.. I'm guessing mine is an exhaust vavle, so it's basically running on 3 cyls.. I bought a new car as I needed it for work, but if you saw any of my posts until I parked it, I was running it everyday.. 323k...cheap cheap, if you want to take it away... it's been parked for a couple of months now and hasn't been started since... so it's for parts only...

seen here (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91797&highlight=pick+your+car) it can go cheaper than whats posted there

:)