PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Renntech SL roadster

TypeS
08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Spotted on deerfoot today, a black SL roadster....had Renntech badges on the back and said V12 Biturbo across the side. Checked their website and the only SL they have i dont think is a 12cyl biturbo....is this car legit or is it ricer badging? it had BIG ASS black wheels with a polished lip, with HUGE brakes with red calipers. Anyone seen this car?

Hakkola
08-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Yup, I've seen it on 14th st, very nice. Also had a brabus sl blow my doors off on mcleod last week, looked like a hockey player driving it.

The renntech is probably an SL600 with aftermarket brakes etc...

TypeS
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
yea thats what i thought...he may have a rentech package of sorts...and just threw on the V12 Biturbo badging for looks....can anyone confirm that they make an SL600 with that powerplant? I know thats what the friggen SLR has....i dont think it would fit lol

962 kid
08-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
yea thats what i thought...he may have a rentech package of sorts...and just threw on the V12 Biturbo badging for looks....can anyone confirm that they make an SL600 with that powerplant? I know thats what the friggen SLR has....i dont think it would fit lol

SL600 = V12tt stock :dunno: and the SLR isnt a tt

Jesus
08-09-2005, 03:50 AM
It's a bi-turbo, not a twin.

Das_Amaretto
08-09-2005, 04:05 AM
renntech made an sl600 bored out into a 7.0 liter and turboed it a couple years back i remember reading... mybe sumtin liek that, wut model-year range would you guess it to be?

me&you
08-09-2005, 07:47 AM

The SL600 is a bi-turbo V12, but "only" says "V12" on the sige. The SL65 AMG, is a bi-turbo V12 that says "Bi-turbo V12" on the side. (By side I mean front fender).

The SLR is a supercharged V8. MB had to electronically limit the out put on the SL65 because it was going to show-up the SLR performance-wise!

rage2
08-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Jesus
It's a bi-turbo, not a twin.
Jesus christ, it's the same damn thing!

TheBenzo
08-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Its IS the same thing. I know the guys that did the build on that car.. Ive seen it every day for about 2 weeks. Highline Auto and Custom are the guys that did the build on it... for a whopping 45,000. They did body, wheels, brakes, ecu and some other stuff. Wasnt cheap.

TheBenzo
08-09-2005, 08:42 AM
yea thats what i thought...he may have a rentech package of sorts...and just threw on the V12 Biturbo badging for looks....can anyone confirm that they make an SL600 with that powerplant? I know thats what the friggen SLR has....i dont think it would fit lol The SLR has a hopped up supercharged V8. NOT A V12

b_t
08-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I am pretty sure this car was at a show not too long ago... it was the one here in Calgary with the whole wall full of RSXs. It was an SL600 with the V12 biturbo on the side, the Highline guys said it was faster then an Enzo and was making over 700 horsepower and even more torque.

G
08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I spoke to the guy at a stop light on 17th ave a few weeks ago. It is a SL65 with 20 inch Lorinser LM6 on the beast. He laid two black strips for almost half a block it was sick.

ZorroAMG
08-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Are we all talking about the same car here? I saw a BRUTALLY riced out R230 SL with Renntech Badges, V12BiTurbo MISPLACED over the cheesy lorinser vents, lorinser badging etc....

It looks more like a riced out SL500 than anything else. It's not a 65.

TypeS
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
excuse my assumption that the SLR had the 12, its nose is so long i guess i mixed up my cars:(
Other than that, if the guy says its an SL65....it must be....unless he's one of those guys who likes to say his car is something better than it really is! like alot of the Saleen mustangs ive seen where the guys say its an all origional Saleen, yet it has no #'s on the front bumper:dunno:

All facts aside, id love to see the car again....it was gorgeous:bigpimp:

Chester
08-09-2005, 07:29 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/dtaiwo/Image00072.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/dtaiwo/Black-Benzo2.jpg

Was it this one?

TypeS
08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
yep thats the one:drool:

Canmorite
08-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Woot! My pic in there. Awesome car.

ninspeed
08-09-2005, 07:52 PM
This guy lives two doors down from a good cust. of mine. I was driving his car back to the shop one day, and spotted this guy. So on the way back, i snaped a picture. He also has a silver x5 with the 4.8l

ZorroAMG
08-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Well, that is clearly not an SL65, Why change quad fantastically flowing AMG exhaust for dual, less proven one? Why remove the HUGE brakes and replace them with ones that are clearly not huge? Also the SL65 taillights are all smoked, not just the center portion like this car...don't mean to nit pick but faking that obvious deserves mocking.

Anyhow, hot car if you delete the badging and fenders.

Here, compare the factory SL65 brakes with 19" wheels and the brake gap to the SL500 above with 20's:

Fake
http://www.members.shaw.ca/dtaiwo/Black-Benzo2.jpg

Real
http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/main/models/SL65_main.jpg
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48790&stc=1

7thgenvic
08-10-2005, 04:29 AM
im going with the "fake" look and Highline is the only lorinser dealer in calgary. Im sure you can get it somewhere else.

I don't get why people are knocking it. I see posts about a CRX with a carbon hood and people go crazy.

this is probably one of the sickest cars on the calgary roads right now.

ZorroAMG
08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
who the hell is highline, LOL

Tunerworks deals daily in that shizzzzz as well. I am not knocking the concept of the car, just the fact that he's pretending it's something it's not.

The car looks great, it's just posing way too much...

E36M3
08-10-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't know about that.. My guess is that it is an SL500 or 600 (based on the dual exhaust) but the brakes that he has on it may very well be much better than the AMG ones. The AMG brakes heat up really easily and warp/crack under heavy use without a lot of abuse. Both Renntech and Brabus (and I'm sure others) offer replacement brakes which are far more effective.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
who the hell is highline, LOL

Tunerworks deals daily in that shizzzzz as well. I am not knocking the concept of the car, just the fact that he's pretending it's something it's not.

The car looks great, it's just posing way too much...

Hakkola
08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
You can also get Lorinser through the dealership, an E55 just got delivered, sans amg spoiler, with a lorinser lip spoiler added.

ZorroAMG
08-10-2005, 07:00 PM
E36M3,

Oh I totally agree that there are better brakes out there for the car, but what I was getting at is that the dimensions of his brakes are significantly smaller than stock if he had a 65. Upgrading to brabus and the like, you'd still have the same rotor size, or bigger, you wouldn't decrease from AMG size just for fun...

E36M3
08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
It looks like they are pretty big and that the new calipers are huge.. the AMG brakes actually look tiny inside of 20" wheels, so that might be the case (the black SL looks like it is on 20s)

Anyway, I agree that the car is hot but I'm not sure I'd do the bodykit. As for the side badging, even if it is an SL600 the BiTurbo V12 badge is still accurate and I think it looks a lot better than the V12 badge that is stock.

Also, the Lorinser bodykit looks like it was made for that exhaust system.. the "quad" factory AMG exhaust isn't really quad exhaust anyway, it is split. I have a factory AMG exhaust if you'd like to see how it is routed.. my guess is that he did the exhaust swap because of the bodykit and/or to enhance the sound (which is worth it, especially on the docile 12 cylinders) which would make sense.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
E36M3,

Oh I totally agree that there are better brakes out there for the car, but what I was getting at is that the dimensions of his brakes are significantly smaller than stock if he had a 65. Upgrading to brabus and the like, you'd still have the same rotor size, or bigger, you wouldn't decrease from AMG size just for fun...

90_Shelby
08-13-2005, 11:35 AM
I've seen that car aswell, sitting in front of a huge house that backs on to the Elbow River. It's definetly a modded SL65 AMG. I've seen another one 3 times near Citadel. (stock)

TypeS
08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
^^^ i think they just proved its NOT a 65, but man...id love to see the car again up close....the body style on those cars is a work of art, i really like where benz is going:thumbsup:

ministryofshaun
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey guys just to clear some things up on this i built that car so i will give you the rundown on it it is a sl 600 it is the bi turbo v 12 it has the ecu and tcu upgrade from renn tech and it has the loriser F01 carbon fiber kit which i might add is the only one in canada the brakes are from lorinser as well the tail lights on the car are from the sl 65 amg with the black band thru them the car was dyno at 690 hp and 725 lb/ft so to anwer every ones coments the car is real there is no fake badging because you just don't do that to an car like that so if you see the car out don't be affraid to ask what it is.

lastprodigy
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
^^^ are you the owner ??? beauty none the less.......fine example of alberta black gold :D