PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a deck and alarm

discoballs
08-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey there, just found out about this forum today, some guy from partsource told me about it.

I'm going to be getting a deck and an alarm at the end of the month. Something around $500 for the deck and the same for the alarm. I've been to Autotemp, Visions, Future Shop and Soundsaround. Everybody is pushing the viper 320 alarm. Looking like $250 for the reg instalation and another $250 - $350 to add power locks and a power trunk. (don't have power locks). Any recommendations or warnings??

Also, any recommends for a deck. Had a nice JVC, 3 preouts, mp3/wma and everything else, sounded unbelievable. Deck got ripped off about a month ago, bastards. The future shop guys are pushing the eclipses. Anybody have any experience with them?

And lastly, which stores should I go to and which ones should I avoid. I'd appreciate some input...

thanks,
Disco

gpomp
08-08-2005, 11:15 PM
i recommend a 2 way fm compustar alarm from autodream and an alpine mp3 deck from visions or a&b sound.

GTS Jeff
08-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
i recommend a 2 way fm compustar alarm from autodream and an alpine mp3 deck from visions or a&b sound. :werd: :werd: :werd:

Install the deck yourself and supervise the hell out of whoever's installing the alarm. An alarm is only as good as its installation. Make sure every single sensor, kill, siren, and option is hooked up and make sure the brain is well hidden (ie. not under the hood or behind the dash)

silvercivicsir
08-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Good luck being able to "supervise" the installer while they do the alarm. they will kick you out the install bay so fast..

AND if you want them to hide the brain somewhere else other then under the dash, be prepared to shell out some Extra cash!..

Good advice is to give the guy who's installing the alarm all the time he needs or you'll be unhappy with the install..

Power trunk isn't worth the money.. / i think your going to be looking atleast 100 bucks extra for power trunk since your going to have to buy a motor, and have them install it.

b_t
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Future Shop has Eclipse decks now? wow.. they make nice, nice stuff, usually bare bones, not many MP3/WMA players in their line-up, but I haven't really checked their new stuff so I can't comment for sure on what Future Shop offers.
it is impossible to go wrong with an Alpine deck though.. both Soundsaround and A&B have them and it is easy to get them to compete with one another so you can get a good price, and there is so many different models it is easy to find one that suits your needs exactly.

Jonathan@TCS
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
In my opinion, Pioneer Premier are the best sounding decks in that price range. It all depends on what features are important to you.

GTS Jeff
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Good luck being able to "supervise" the installer while they do the alarm. they will kick you out the install bay so fast..

AND if you want them to hide the brain somewhere else other then under the dash, be prepared to shell out some Extra cash!..
Heh, if they try to "kick you out of the install bay" you can go elsewhere for the install. I understand that it's annoying as hell for installers to have someone breathing over their shoulders, but I've learned that when it comes to my pride and joy, it's totally worth it to make sure that you're getting a quality installation. I've been fucked over more than once by not carefully watching over installation of various things on my car. I have a friend that got his compustar installed at A&B sound and the fuckers there only hooked up the door sensors. NOTHING ELSE. Now wtf is a compustar good for if it's installed so ghetto?

ANd I think it's worth the extra money to have it installed right too. Heck I'd pay extra money to be able to watch them install it too. Why spend $500 on an expensive alarm that's installed like poo when you can have it installed awesome for $600?

Sorrik
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
DO NOT GO TO SOUNDSAROUND !!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95330

TEAMFaint
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
$250-$350 to add power locks? Thats really expensive. At Futureshop it's $50 for both doors IF you already have power lords just not keyless entry.

I'd suggest not going to Future Shop, you'll get a deal from anywhere else but here. Their Eclipse decks are pretty decent if you're lookin to power a pretty big stereo, but other than that nothin is too special. I'm a big fan of the higher Alpine series such as the scrolling deck. + Visions will bend over for customers and give you a deal. Free install, all you gotta pay for is the wiring harness and the dash kit.

discoballs
08-17-2005, 05:29 PM
What about Autotemp? I received a good quote from them for the alarm (about a hundred less for the viper 320hv than anywhere else). $537 gets me power locks and keyless entry, power trunk with a trunk release and the alarm. $207 of that is for the parts and installation of the power door locks.

discoballs
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey, how can I see the original posts in the forums. I thought maybe it was just mine I couldn't see but it's everyones.

dooman24
08-17-2005, 05:42 PM
yea i heard bad shit about AB sound and soundsurround

ringmaster
08-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I have had great luck with Alpine decks... from the top of the line to the cheapest one id say they are a quality product. and yeah stay away from a&b... I bought a deck there for my beater and 20 min later returned for some help taking out the factoy ford deck (requires tools) and was turned away because it would require the lazy installer and the cocky salesman to help me out.... went to futureshop install bay and shot buddy $10 and the deck was out in 5 seconds.

SWX
08-21-2005, 05:26 PM
I would check out car Salon, they are getting a lot better, talk to a guy named john. As for Alpine ahave had no luck with them but i know plp that love them and had no problems. i would say ethier Premier or Alpine would be good. I would not go with Eclipse just because they now look crappy IMO and they are non detach so if you've had one deck stolen it may not be the best.