PDA

View Full Version : Justice system

schurchill39
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Today i went down to pay a ticket. No big deal i was speeding so i am fully willing to pay the fine. But beause of this accident thing i wanted to get the dermerits droped on this ticket to keep my clean record. ***blah blah skip a part*** I easily, with no work on my behalf minus telling the deputy counsel it was a bunk ticket, got away with a registered owners ticket.

Yes i was happy i got the demerits taken off and just had to pay the fine like my plan was but after thinking about it, it kind of pisses me off. It pisses me off at how easy it was. They are pretty much telling me they dont give a damn what I did or what any one did they just want the money. The justice system is no longer about penalising crimes or violations they are just about TAXATION. If they wanna do it that way why not just give everyone a 400$ charge at the begining of the year so we can speed all we want, we wouldnt feel any concequences and the goverment would get their money. Having police give out tickets is a waste if they dont matter, just a way of collecting money. I would rather donate that 140$ i "wasted" today to a charity or something.

I know this is kind of a reverse rant but after thinking about it.. common you have to agree its bullshit.

JordanLotoski
08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
ummmm yeah...its been like this forever, its the gonvernment...they just want money.

max_boost
08-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Ummm......Ok

Can you imagine the type of chaos that would be created if people were allowed to do as they will on the streets?

I really don't know what you are ranting at. Traffic tickets are a cash cow, it's always been like that. What was your ticket for? If someone got a ticket for a burnt out taillight, what do you want him/her to do? Perform 50 hours of community service as punishment? :dunno: :rofl:

schurchill39
08-09-2005, 08:06 PM
No i was speeding 103 in an 80 cuz i had a big f350 on my ass and wouldnt back off even when i slowed down. Its not like you get dermerits for something like a burnt out light either. My problem is that how easy it was. Like they dont even give a shit what you did they just want them oney and i personally think thats wrong. But maybe thats just my own moral values

TKRIS
08-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah, go have a quick look at how crowded the dockets for traffic violations are, then how many Crown Prosecuters there are, then, finally, how many people fight their tickets.

If they took the time to piss around with you over a small fish ticket, the courts would be so backed up it would be rediculous. They just simply do not have time to allow everyone into court to fight a ticket, so they will plead out whatever they can (within reason). If they didn't, court dates would be backed up for years.

Kris

dymz999
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
WOW, surprising to hear people say this from the outside looking in, how about i give you the information to make this make sense to you. I worked for Calgary Traffic Court and know the way the government works things.

Why do they give you the deal so easily? One you likely had a relatively good record, a good reason or explanation of the ticket and LASTLY the biggest part of all the cost to run a trial on the average ticket is THOUSANDS of dollars to fight. This is because the time taken into consideration is insane. The courts have numerous departments that handles these tickets each of which have to be paid for all the excess tickets. however, if you have a few tickets on there you'd be hard pressed to get much out of most of the crown prosecutors, they are only cooperative when your record is relatively nice with just minor infractions. Get one serious one and that changes. LASTLY never ever ever ever goto an agent to fight your ticket unless it is for "no insurance". These places are not worth the time for what they do to you.

Now your thinking taxation? Well to give you the rough idea the city jurisdiction where you got the ticket receives 85% of the revenue from the ticket whereas the government receives 15%. The 15% is likely not enough substantial enough to pay for what it costs to run these courts. When it comes to getting tickets in calgary all it is, is a cash cow for the CITY POLICE.