PDA

View Full Version : Why so many STi's?

ecstasy_civic
08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I just flipped through some ads for WRX's, and the STi's outnumber the WRX's!?!

Are people really that unhappy with them? Ive never driven one, but I cant imagine id wanna sell that car after such a short time of owning it?

STi owners, do you like your cars? lol

This just boggles my mind haha:nut:

MiG_Master
08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think that people are unhappy with them, I just think that there are a lot of them out there. In Edmonton, I see 5-10 a day, and I'm only on the road for 3 hours each day.

QuasarCav
08-09-2005, 11:14 AM
:werd:

Either I just dont notice the WRX's or there are way more STI's on the road.

I always see a grey one, a blue one with yellow fogs, one with some crazy headlights that is really loud and another blue one that looks pretty stock.

Nice cars IMO but I hear the depreciation is pretty harsh and the drivability is better for someone that can make a few sacrifices for 300hp AWD.

Stratus_Power
08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
yeh I was in edmonton couple days ago and there were alot alot of STi, definitly saw at least 1-2/hour

C4S
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Price Price Price!

For ~~$55K with tax, it is a bargain as a new car!

For $35-40K .. it is also a bargain for a 1-2 yr old car with that kind of performance! :D

Aleks
08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I somewhat dissagree on the 55K. I don't think they should be any more then mid to hi 40s brand new. Yes they get tonns more than the WRX but 55K is too much.

heavyD
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
It's a pretty expensive car but for the money only the Lancer EVO VIII MR can rival it's performance. IMO alot of younger people that bought the car for the rush of power & handling maybe didn't realize at the time that they just spend 25% of the average morgage on a new house on the car and once a year passes maybe the monthly price of ownership starts to get a little steep when other things start to hit the bank account. I don't exactly know why the depreciation is so steep as I have monitored regular WRX pricing in the last few years and they seem to hold their value better than cars such as the RSX Type S.

I don't think there's lots of used ones for sale because they are bad cars. Besides damand may increase for the 2004 - 2005 models if the 2006 ones look as ugly in person as some of the U.S. guys on the SRT & DSM boards say they are.:barf:

illeagle
08-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Maybe their lease is up :rofl:

If i had an STi of my own, i'd keep it forever, I drove one around for a bit.. wow, Such a nice car to drive... I felt invisible haha...

The downfall is the maintenence, but of you can afford a 55k subaru, i'm guessing you make good enough money to keep the car running.

benyl
08-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Haha, I have been thinking of selling mine in the last few days. Reason is that I am very tempted to get an M3.

The STi is a great car, but resale is in the toilet and that is because it is overpriced to begin with. I should have imported one from the states where the price after exchange, fees, taxes, etc... is about $42K.

One of the reasons the price is so high is that the Evo isn't here to compete with it.

90Tegra
08-09-2005, 03:35 PM
^^^ between m3 and sti, i would definitely keep the sti

sl888
08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
^ WHAT?!?
I'd take the M3 over the STI in a sec!

MiG_Master
08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
^^^ between m3 and sti, i would definitely keep the sti
..........and I'd take the M3. I don't like the whole rally-car look of the STI/Evo/Lancer.

heavyD
08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by sl888
^ WHAT?!?
I'd take the M3 over the STI in a sec!

I'd take the STi also. I always go out of my way to take a peek at an STi on the road M3 bends in with all the other Bimmers in a city full of Bimmers. I wouldn't call an M3 a beautiful car by any means, its got that BMW 'Meh' look due to all their models having the same front end.

OrderedCHAOS
08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
You rather have BMW deck the M3 with a big bodykit, hood scoop and huge wing? No thanks, I like the sedated look but packing the muscle. Looks refined and not brash and loud like the STi.

heavyD
08-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS
You rather have BMW deck the M3 with a big bodykit, hood scoop and huge wing? No thanks, I like the sedated look but packing the muscle. Looks refined and not brash and loud like the STi.

Nope. I'm a body kit hater actually. I just don't feel that I'm old enough to drive a BMW that's all. I have very high self-esteem so I don't feel the need to impress people with material items like ritzy cars, clothes, etc. I've always preferred speed over luxury and while the M3 is no slouch, the STi outperforms it at most tasks. That's pretty much all I care about in a car is performance first, then looks, then luxury. My littlest brother drives a Lexus GS430 and I drive an Eclipse & SRT-4. His car is nice but I like my cars better as they are faster, much faster and that's what I'm into. I'm sure many of you may differ but that's just me.

OrderedCHAOS
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
And I feel like I am too old to drive a car like a STi or SRT-4. I don't like the attention that cars like these get, feels like the car is shouting "look at me". Actually I don't like attention at all, which is perhaps why I like the sedated style of the E46 M3, like you said it's lost in the sea of other 3 series. FWD or AWD don't do much for me, I'm a big RWD fanatic.

RickDaTuner
08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
yeah i wanted to sell my STi for something more subtle, and the fact that as a daily driver i can pay as much as 1k in gas for one month.. kinda harsh..

i might just follow the footsteps of an Ex-STi owner on this board and just sell it and buy a G35 coupe, or better yet the fuel sipping TDI desiel

awd
08-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
yeah i wanted to sell my STi for something more subtle, and the fact that as a daily driver i can pay as much as 1k in gas for one month.. kinda harsh..

!!!!!

Is that commuting from Canmore -> Calgary every day Rick?

googe
08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

i might just follow the footsteps of an Ex-STi owner on this board and just sell it and buy a G35 coupe

:D

the car seriously is a blast (STI) and one thing I do miss is the awd. but man, as others have said, theyre so overpriced in canada when you look at the MSRP for the american ones. that and the subaru dealerships around here pretty much suck.

haha the g35 feels so slow after being used to an sti though.