PDA

View Full Version : importing my car to california

pipeline1972
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm new here, and was hoping someone here could help me out.
In a few months, i'll be moving to California. I'm from Belgium. I'm gonna go there and get married with my American girlfriend!
I was thinking about taking my car, a Peugeot 206, with me.
The shipping would be about $1000, and there's the paperwork.
As anyone else amongts you done this before? Any tips welcome!
But what worries me most, is, what if something happens to my car? How would a local (Bay Area) mechanic reacts when i bring him my Frenchie? Are there Peugeot centers in the Bay Area? And what if i need a spare part?
In the end, wouldn't it be better if i just sold my car, and buy a new one?
Any tips and help welcome!
Thanks!

Supa Dexta
08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I'll ask a car buddy of mine who lives in the area if he knows anything, and get back to you...

:thumbsup:

rage2
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Your car will not be importable into the united states.

pipeline1972
08-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Your car will not be importable into the united states.

huh? that's the first time anyone told me this! Can i ask, why?

kenny
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
If its not on this list, you cannot import it. Even if it was on the list, it would cost you way too much to have it meet the emissions requirement of California.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG071404.html

You will also find all the information you need at:

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm

philipoo
08-09-2005, 11:52 PM
does it apply to rhd vehicles from overseas? =/ sorry

JAYMEZ
08-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Doesnt matter if its rhd , the US has alot of restrictions , ESPECIALLY Cali... them and there stupid smog tests :nut:

I personally would think it be better for you to sell your car and purchase a new car when you arrive in the US , it sucks to let go your car , but it will be better for you in the long run.

FiveFreshFish
08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Save your $1000 and the hassle of the paperwork. There's also the possibility of damage during transit and the related headaches that go with that. Once you get it to the US, it'll be hard to find service unless you do it yourself. Parts will be hard to get.

This is not worth doing. Besides, you can drive your girlfriend's car until you find one.

pipeline1972
08-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Thank you all for your advices! I think now i'll just sell my car and buy a new one, once in California.
I'll miss my little Frenchie, but hey, they do have "some" good cars withh manual transmission in the US, right? :D :)

benyl
08-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Also, since the car isn't imported to the US, you would probably have to crash test it, no?

Would kind of defeat the purpose.

rage2
08-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Depends on the car... there's a nice rare car loophole that Bill Gates funded so you can bring any car in the US that's rare in the global market without any testing.

benyl
08-10-2005, 10:29 AM
The 206 is not rare... It is kinda like the civic of europe... haha

rage2
08-10-2005, 10:39 AM
ya I know, I was bringing it up that there are ways to bring 'em in without crash testing ;).

Supa Dexta
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Hey I've always wondered people who buid their own roadsters, how do they go about getting them road legal, they certainly don't build two or more to crash some.. So I assuem theres some sort of basic tests they have to meet, like a saftey inspection, tires, seatbelts, lights.. etc..? Hell I've seen some home made trucks made out of stell.. a lot of steel.. that must have weighed 8k, and were so ugly they were distracting to other drivers, but they were still on the road..

:confused: