PDA

View Full Version : U of A HUB Residence

Gondi Stylez
08-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Do any of you who go to the U of A know what the dimensions are for the 4 bedroom suites (HUB)? I want to make sure some of my stuff will fit.

Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

If your curious I have a desk, bookshelf, nightstand and single bed.

EDIT: Here are some demensions of my furniture

Desk - 126 cm x 90 cm (49 5/8" x 35 3/8")
Book Case - 72 cm x 31 cm (28 1/2" x 12")

For those of you who are familiar with the room I want to put these on the side where the door opens. This leaves a total length of 198 cm if they are butted right next to each other. I dont mind it being a tight fit but both would be great to have! I'm assuming I would need 6 1/2 ft for both with some space in between the two pieces.

I'm sure my bed will fit on the opposite wall and a night stand should be able to squeeze in so I can have a clock and lamp.

hash
08-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the room, but I've been in them a few a times and a friend had a similar setup to what you describe - with a little bit of extra space.

You do have a twin size bed right?

GTS Jeff
08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Don't do it, HUB is a huge mall-shaped piece of poo. In the year and half I lived there, there was a rat in my wall, bedbug infestations, and little red spiders everywhere. It's dirty and fuckin old.

It also smells.

ryder_23
08-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Don't do it, HUB is a huge mall-shaped piece of poo. In the year and half I lived there, there was a rat in my wall, bedbug infestations, and little red spiders everywhere. It's dirty and fuckin old.

It also smells.

:werd: i remember your post you made about that place a year or two ago. If i could find it, i'd post it up, but complty forget what your title was :rofl: that description made me know to let everyone i know stay away fromt ehre

Gondi Stylez
08-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by hash
I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the room, but I've been in them a few a times and a friend had a similar setup to what you describe - with a little bit of extra space.

You do have a twin size bed right?

Awesome! Yeah, I have a twin bed.

Gondi Stylez
08-10-2005, 01:35 AM

It also smells.

It's only gonna be one year of hell! I THINK I can hack it!? Damn...Should I be scared?!?!?

buh_buh
08-10-2005, 08:50 AM
The Hub smells like shit.
All you smell when you walk through there is grease.
I wouldn't live there either.

Ben
08-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Here's a good read:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53063

GTS Jeff
08-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

It's only gonna be one year of hell! I THINK I can hack it!? Damn...Should I be scared?!?!? Find another place to live! Trust me on this one.

(Unless you want to deal with staring at mainlander pubes in the public washers+dryers...)

Gondi Stylez
08-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Haha, OK Jeff... Honestly....How bad are the bugs? I am going to be in the 4 bedroom ones? I will only be there for 1 year because I will either transfer to Newton Place, Mitchener Park or buy a Condo. Also, budget is a factor and for 294 + cable/phone/internet + food is not TOO bad.

Plus, the smell? I know it's not the greatest because I have been there a couple of times but is it really "unlivable"? Lister was totally out of the questions because I wanna cook and such for myself and the other rez's were full.

GTS Jeff
08-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Haha, OK Jeff... Honestly....How bad are the bugs? I am going to be in the 4 bedroom ones? I will only be there for 1 year because I will either transfer to Newton Place, Mitchener Park or buy a Condo. Also, budget is a factor and for 294 + cable/phone/internet + food is not TOO bad.

Plus, the smell? I know it's not the greatest because I have been there a couple of times but is it really "unlivable"? Lister was totally out of the questions because I wanna cook and such for myself and the other rez's were full. I find the bugs disgusting and the smell gets to you after awhile. You sound pretty set on living there though, so... :)

Gondi Stylez
08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I find the bugs disgusting and the smell gets to you after awhile. You sound pretty set on living there though, so... :)

Well, the ONLY reason I'm set on living there is because it's cheap, convenient and I really don't have much else. So ya, with that said I really don't have much choice! REALLY CRAPPY!

Where did you live for your 4-5 years?

GTS Jeff
08-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Well, the ONLY reason I'm set on living there is because it's cheap, convenient and I really don't have much else. So ya, with that said I really don't have much choice! REALLY CRAPPY!

Where did you live for your 4-5 years? I lived in HUB for a year and a half, then in a house near campus for half a year, then my own place for 2.5 years..

hash
08-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Hey Gondi,

Just to reassure you a little bit - HUB Mall isn't as bad as some people on this board make it sound! I've been living there for a year now, and I haven't had any bug problems. You can probably smell the restaurants if you live close enough to them, but its nothing that one of those Glade plug-in things can't fix. The bachelor's are much quieter and smell-free as well.

If you REALLY hate it, you can just give one month's notice and move out. Not a big deal really.

kiwi
08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Little red spiders everywhere?

*shrieks like a banshee*

I hate spiders!

GTS Jeff
08-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Gondi,

Just to reassure you a little bit - HUB Mall isn't as bad as some people on this board make it sound! I've been living there for a year now, and I haven't had any bug problems. You can probably smell the restaurants if you live close enough to them, but its nothing that one of those Glade plug-in things can't fix. The bachelor's are much quieter and smell-free as well.

If you REALLY hate it, you can just give one month's notice and move out. Not a big deal really. I lived in a bachelor suite. It was every bit as bad as I made it out to be. The spiders are so tiny that they are tough to spot. I only noticed them after living there for close to a year.

Jitenshakun
08-16-2005, 12:43 PM
HUB apartments are fricking tiny.

Except that there is nowhere for friends and family to park when visiting, the building has serious infestation problems, there were a spat of sexual assaults in the hallways, transients routinely walk up and down HUB until the five-oh chase them out and it is ridiculously loud unless you're on the lower level its a great place to live.

Does that help you out?

-J

Gondi Stylez
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Damn! I will be in trouble for sure I'm thinking! BUt in all honesty despite how much I just didn't want to live on HUB I am forced due to money strain. It just wouldn't be fessible for me to live outside of residence and Lister was 1000% out of the question, as I want to cook for myself and have some of my own personal space!

I called today and I am 7th on the waitlist for the Sept. 1st move-in but according to the front desk I definatley won't get the 2 roommates I asked for, (3 people including myself).

Is it possible that once I get offered the space I could ask the other "given" roommates a place in the spot I was originally given? I just DON'T want to live with strangers and I was thinking that if our parents go and talk to them it would/could work?! It happend for my girlfriends friends 2 years ago!! ;)

Thanks for all the input guys! :thumbsup:

hash
08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
I lived in a bachelor suite. It was every bit as bad as I made it out to be. The spiders are so tiny that they are tough to spot. I only noticed them after living there for close to a year.

:drama:

Gondi Stylez
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Well I just got a call from Residence and they told me either I could have the 4 bedroom place in HUB or a 4 Bedroom House in East Campus Village! Of course I took the house and to boot I got all my requested roomies!

Now, I don't know anyone who has lived on East Campus in these houses or in this area so any help on that would be great! But from the sounds of it it seems like the best bet!

GTS Jeff
08-18-2005, 05:27 PM

:drama: One time, some animal got stuck in the wall and made scratching noises for a couple weeks. The scratches got slower and slower until one day they stopped. A few days after the apartment started smelling like rot.

Bona fide HUB.