PDA

View Full Version : Anderson and Deerfoot is trying to kill me

TheBenzo
08-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Last weekend my chain blew off of my bike there, tonight.. another story:

Im coming up on the westbound anderson turnoff on deerfoot slowing from 110 to about 80ish, well, this middle-aged woman cuts me off (shes doing about 60.. still in the 100 zone) she doesnt signal or even shoulder check. I was at about 85 clicks at this point and on the brakes I go;

The car kicks sideways to the right about 45 degrees from center.... I bring it back (its raining with some puddles) and it shoots the other way equally as obtuse.. at this point she had moved back to the other lane and I was beside and ahead of her I saw her face even.. not a blink or anything.. like nothing was going on.. I got the car stable after a couple more corrections and backed right off.. she just continued on hunched close to her steering wheel, hands at 10 and 2 gazing off into the distance in her warm knitted sweater. :love:

Right around the corner there were emergency crews cleaning up a crashed jeep cherokee..

My girlfriend was with me.. I think I sharted more than she did.

Im just glad I got us out of that.. I dont get into them very often.. I guess practicing in the winter helps stay sharp? :dunno:

illeagle
08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
buzz around her, cut in front, and slam on the brakes.

crazyning
08-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Sorry to hear, but maybe it's because everybody hates you:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97100

TheBenzo
08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
buzz around her, cut in front, and slam on the brakes. majorly tempting.. but I was comign off of a pretty good adrenal overload. Man some people are oblivious.

Nufy
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
That whole area is a clusterfuck.....

I'm surprised that there are'nt more accidents there.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 09:41 AM
I always slow down to 50 or 60 in that area because it's so accident prone, yet people blast by me giving me the finger all the time. Stupid people.

sputnik
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by fingirl
I always slow down to 50 or 60 in that area because it's so accident prone, yet people blast by me giving me the finger all the time. Stupid people.

:hijack:

LOL

Love the avatar fingirl!

Phy
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Ugh. Living down off Bow Bottom, I get to deal with that every day. The Southland offramp lane (northbound) is a scary place to be in the morning - you've got guys coming off Deerfoot and diving through two lanes of traffic on one side, and on the other side are people too impatient to get into the lane further back so they drive all the way up the wide shoulder. It's bad enough in a car - I'll never ride to work that way, if I can get away with it. Just too many ways to die.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

LOL

Love the avatar fingirl!

Why thank you, finally some hospitality on this forum. Seems like noone wants to befriend a middle-aged woman who drives a minivan. :love:

TheBenzo
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I always slow down to 50 or 60 in that area because it's so accident prone, yet people blast by me giving me the finger all the time. Stupid people. You dummy, you are the type that cause accidents.. and MAKE it accident prone.

Slowing down to 50 in a 100 zone? Did you happen to cut off a mercedes benz last night? WTF are you thinking? Seriously, I am curious as to how your type thinks.. and how you can call doing half of the posted speed limit.. a safe thing.

Why do you think people are giving you the finger you dumbass.

Or you are full of shit and simply trying to agitate people.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 11:13 AM
My minivan can't exactly handle like your expensive mercedes!:cry:

wahsabi
08-10-2005, 11:18 AM

And what would that solve exactly?

People here need to get their road rage in check.

TheBenzo
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
My minivan can't exactly handle like your expensive mercedes!:cry: :rolleyes: kst00pid.

Phy
08-10-2005, 11:32 AM
My minivan can't exactly handle like your expensive mercedes!:cry:

No, it wouldn't, fingirl, but you may be underestimating what it can do. A regular Caravan should have little trouble handling at Deerfoot speeds. The largest problems are thoroughly clearing your blind spots and planning well ahead for lane changes.

If you feel you need to drop your speed by 40-50 kph to map out where you want to be, that's your decision. However, most drivers (including Beyonders) desire conformity from other drivers. When you're going the same speed as everyone else, it's easier to predict your movements, which means it's a safer driving environment.

At least, that's the way people would feel about it if they had half a brain. Most people who flip you off for going slow are just cheesed that you've delayed them.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Well I don't drive slow all the time, just when I think it's necessary, like on the turn from anderson to deerfoot. If survivor or big brother is on, I'm always going at least 10 over the speed limit so I can make it home on time. If "beyonders" don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Who are the cops going to believe if there was ever an accident, a mother or some punk kid? Face it, minivans make up a large percentage of todays traffic in the city, best thing to do is leave us alone, we don't care about you or your opinions.

GoChris
08-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Well I don't drive slow all the time, just when I think it's necessary, like on the turn from anderson to deerfoot. If survivor or big brother is on, I'm always going at least 10 over the speed limit so I can make it home on time. If "beyonders" don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Who are the cops going to believe if there was ever an accident, a mother or some punk kid? Face it, minivans make up a large percentage of todays traffic in the city, best thing to do is leave us alone, we don't care about you or your opinions.

just because you are older, doesnt give you the right to drive however you want. everyone has to follow the same laws of the road.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
its probably this mentality that makes me drive away from most minivans on the road.

Phy
08-10-2005, 12:46 PM
If "beyonders" don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Who are the cops going to believe if there was ever an accident, a mother or some punk kid? Face it, minivans make up a large percentage of todays traffic in the city, best thing to do is leave us alone, we don't care about you or your opinions.

Lines like "I'm an adult now, so I can do what I want" or "There's a lot of us, we don't have to listen to you" were foolish back in high school, when I heard it from spoiled brats and skater kids with persecution complexes.

Forum opinion aside, it's like this: driving, although almost necessary in Calgary, is a privilege, not a right. This is why they test you on it. With any privilege comes responsibility. The responsibility of driving is that you not endanger others by driving erratically. By driving slowly in a high-speed traffic pattern, you create a situation in which people will want to get around you, causing a traffic disturbance. In any traffic disturbance, there is a heightened potential for an accident: not only just into the back of your slow-moving vehicle, but for everyone who must lane-change to get around you. Someone with the mentality of an adult, and not just the years, would realize that nobody drives in a vacuum where they can do as they please.

BubbaSTi
08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Ahh I had an incident just about 2 hours ago...

I was coming into downtown turning off of Crowchild north onto Bow Trail East. The right lane is a "Must Exit" lane so I am going nicely along and this minivan full of kids (there were at least 4 on the back row and 3 in the middle) shoots infront of me and then slams on the brakes. I slam on my brakes, skidded a distance and then she decides to resume speed at a good ol' 30 kph...

WTF!!!

If my car didn't have ABS, I would of probably slammed into this stupid woman.

When I get onto Bow Trail, I have to go to the far left lane. So as I go over there, she is still going 30, and when I pass her, guess what she is doing. Exactly like the description that TheBenzo had in his original post.

Little woman can barely see over the dash with hands at 10 and 2 completly oblivious.

Come to think of it, it is an easier and safer drive coming into downtown in RUSH HOUR than during the day when all the idiots come out to drive.

Sorry about the rant, but I took advantage of this post without creating my own.

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Well I don't drive slow all the time, just when I think it's necessary, like on the turn from anderson to deerfoot. If survivor or big brother is on, I'm always going at least 10 over the speed limit so I can make it home on time. If "beyonders"; don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Who are the cops going to believe if there was ever an accident, a mother or some punk kid? Face it, minivans make up a large percentage of todays traffic in the city, best thing to do is leave us alone, we don't care about you or your opinions.

Its true, with age comes ignorance:rolleyes: . Like has been stated it doesnt matter who you are, if your "some punk kid" or some menopausle woman, angry father or bitchy mother, there are rules of the road and every one must follow them. Police will believe who they think is in the right not specifically you because your a mother in a minivan. Stereotyping the youth as punks is very immature for your age. If you want respect you need to give it no matter if it is to other drivers on the road by driving appropriately, to your co-workers or to the kid you see driving his new car that hes been saving up for that wants to do 100 in the 100 zone but you insits on doing 50 or 60. Please rethink how your approaching driving for the sake of every one on the road. I dont wanna have to read more accident threads just because of some ones "I'm older i'll drive how i want" attitude.

EDIT:
If "beyonders"; don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Lady, your on beyond.ca: This is where beyonders are and we dont like your driving.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
You're one to talk.....punk!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_32_full.jpg

:rofl:

QuasarCav
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_32_full.jpg

Super Nismo TypeR owned!!!!

Punk ass kids.

GGGG-UNOT
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Damn! Love a woman that knows how to speak her mind......

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM

You have the picture now go back and read the story grandma.

PSST the other guy was 100% at fault for driving to slow and not paying attention. I just have to suffer the concequences of some one elses mistakes

But good try :clap:

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
But lets not hijack this thread and turn this into an open argument between me and you. If you want that feel free to PM me.

EDIT: I am removing myself from this thread now to avoid cluttering with somethat that has nothing to do with the original thread.

sputnik
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Nothing irritates me more than the people who merge onto Deerfoot going 60.

More accidents and slowdowns are caused by these people because as traffic flies by a 100-110 you have some jackass that wants to slow the entire merge lane and then crawl in when there is nobody coming.

This is incredibly dangerous especially if you have a car that takes a bit to get up to 100. The merge lanes are designed so that you can get up to speed and not have to wait for a huge gap in order to get onto Deerfoot.

In places like Anderson/Southland on northbound Deerfoot and Southland/BowBottom on southbound Deerfoot (where you sometimes need to get over 2 lanes) it is VERY important not to drive slow when merging.

TheBenzo
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Fingirl is full of shit.. I know this..

Das_Amaretto
08-10-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by wahsabi

And what would that solve exactly?

People here need to get their road rage in check.

EVERYTHING! if SHE hit you, and its their fault, then THEIR insurance rates go through the roof, and then hopefully from that expensive monthly reminder, they decide to become a better driver. plus it can solve that little nick or scratch u mighta picked up that one time......

BubbaSTi
08-10-2005, 01:58 PM
I hope your not serious Das_Amaretto, because that is a pretty stupid thing to do. What if you did do that and then you lost all control of your car, slid into oncoming traffic and died. Just because you wanted to "teach her a lesson".

I know this is pretty much a worst case scenario but either way, you don't really want to cause an accident on purpose because she drives slow.

DJ Lazy
08-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by TheBenzo
You dummy, you are the type that cause accidents.. and MAKE it accident prone.

Slowing down to 50 in a 100 zone? Did you happen to cut off a mercedes benz last night? WTF are you thinking? Seriously, I am curious as to how your type thinks.. and how you can call doing half of the posted speed limit.. a safe thing.

Why do you think people are giving you the finger you dumbass.

Or you are full of shit and simply trying to agitate people.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sooooo funny you have NO idea........... :rofl:

I'll befriend you fingirl... Your HOT!!! :eek: :love: :poosie: And you Drive a dodge.... OMFGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!!

Das_Amaretto
08-10-2005, 02:15 PM
^^BubbaSTi,

I would never do that! dat be craZEEEY! Jus a suggestion to ppl.

besides, if I did do it, I wouldn't lose control and go into oncoming traffic, it would jus be a fender bender cuz I drive respectably. If that minivan driver that does 1/2 the speed limit so she can feel 'safe' ever tried this trick tho, her car will flip 3 times, barrell roll, then explode in mid-air. The result is just proportional to how you drive daily... liek road-karma

Supa Dexta
08-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I noticed the other day comming back from olds, once traffic hits the air port area, they speed up 20clicks or so (as the road gets shitty as hell) (I'm new here, but I have no idea why calgary puts up with having their only speedy highway in such shitty shape.. .bump,bump,bump, bump, bump.... that combined with shit all over it, that has fallen off of other vehicles... 2X4's, garbage cans, tie down straps...etc.. it's an obstical course and a half.. and then you get the people who have lived in the city all their life, who have no idea how to control a car at speed, and either do it all wrong, or just keep goign 70... ah it's always an experience...one I tend to avoid as often as possible..

:thumbsup:

turbotrip
08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Fingirl I thought ur location use to say Finland didnt it? now its calgary?

fingirl
08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
No sorry, it's always been Calgary. I have no relation to Finland whatsoever.

tictactoe2004
08-10-2005, 04:50 PM

if your serious and not full of shit or lying, I hope you either...

a) take some driving lessons.

b) volunteer to take yourself off the road

c) do something stupid that doesnt get anyone else injured but causes your insurance to go high enough for you to not be able to afford to drive.

:thumbsdow

Hakkola
08-10-2005, 04:51 PM
[B]Well I don't drive slow all the time, just when I think it's necessary, like on the turn from anderson to deerfoot. If survivor or big brother is on, I'm always going at least 10 over the speed limit so I can make it home on time. If "beyonders" don't like my driving they can get lost. I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. WB]

Ahahaha!!!! Are you for real? This is the most ignorant statement I've read in a long time, you can drive how you want because you're old? 40 under the limit unless there's something good on t.v?

fingirl
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I have no reason to lie on an internet forum. I will take your suggestions seriously and contemplate adjusting my driving habits.

Thanks for the concern.:dunno:

Hakkola
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
No sorry, it's always been Calgary. I have no relation to Finland whatsoever.

Obviously not, Finnish people know how to drive.

DannyO
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Phy

No, it wouldn't, fingirl, but you may be underestimating what it can do. A regular Caravan should have little trouble handling at Deerfoot speeds. The largest problems are thoroughly clearing your blind spots and planning well ahead for lane changes.

If you feel you need to drop your speed by 40-50 kph to map out where you want to be, that's your decision. However, most drivers (including Beyonders) desire conformity from other drivers. When you're going the same speed as everyone else, it's easier to predict your movements, which means it's a safer driving environment.

At least, that's the way people would feel about it if they had half a brain. Most people who flip you off for going slow are just cheesed that you've delayed them.

This and the rest of his posts in this thread are the only intelligent posts in here, wish there was more drivers who thought like this.

In some countries its illegal to drive to slow under the limit, wish they had that law here.

Also I vote that Fingirl is a fraud, made to piss people off, and its working.:rofl:

tictactoe2004
08-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Also I vote that Fingirl is a fraud, made to piss people off, and its working.:rofl:

:werd:

Hakkola
08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh for sure, too many laughable comments. Only thing is 'she' isn't really making people mad, just making some odd comments, most fake persona's attack people and are much more vulgar.

Fingirl is just, strange.

Moonracer
08-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Well I'm not younger than you (i'm 37) and I think you're a bad driver. In fact reading all your posts I know you're a bad driver! It's no wonder people are running into you all the time as you mentioned in another thread. You need to go to drivers ed for a defensive driving course (I tought drivers ed) for a little refresher. :drama: :banghead:

ps. Welcome to beyond! :rolleyes:

Moonracer
08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

I second this as a possibility, for the love of god I hope so...lol

Seanith
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm 100% sure fingirl is a troll.

JAYMEZ
08-10-2005, 06:26 PM

hrmm this contradicts what you said before in another thread.

I, along with others think, that i drive well and smoothly, people never honk at me, nor do i try to squeeze my vehicle into tight stalls just to be closer to the entrance doors.

PS: my signature is just a fun joke.

I'm older than most of you, so I can drive how I want. Who are the cops going to believe if there was ever an accident, a mother or some punk kid? Face it, minivans make up a large percentage of todays traffic in the city, best thing to do is leave us alone, we don't care about you or your opinions.

As for the cops believing a punk or a mother , its not up to the Cops to decide who looks more innocent or what status the person has , if it looks like you did the bad driving it would be your fault.. a young "punk" can always get a lawyer and you would lose your case... pulling out stereo type suggestions will not help you out if you have to talk to a judge. The law is the law , follow it , or remove yourself from the road.

I have been rear ended twice in the past 3 years by middle age women not paying attention on the damn roads , using cell phones or driving to damn fast in bad weather or day dreaming... one lady who rear ended me didnt care to stop when I was stopped for two kids to cross , and I was stopped for over 10 seconds. She was just chatting away on her cell phone driving her SUV right into my car.

Supa Dexta
08-10-2005, 06:46 PM
^thats how I got rearended.. HARD.. stopped letting kids cross the road.. screeeeeeeeeeeeeeech, bam!... and there was atleast 6-10 other cars stopped ahead/beside me....

:rolleyes:

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Am i the only one who things FINBOY got bored so decided to piss people off with a newbie account FINGIRL? Or maybe Finboy is her son that shes sending to beat me up?
See, i'm not the only one who thinks you need to re-think your driving!

TheBenzo
08-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for roaching my thread to oblivion. I really appreciate the slutting-gunt-whore that is fingirl.

Weapon_R
08-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Let's try and salvage what began as a relatively good discussion about the deerfoot/anderson area. Otherwise, this thread will be closed and the parties banned.

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
The first time i drove in calgary i had to drive down those roads. Scared the shit out of me. I realised most calgarians dont like to use their signal lights and they like to stay in the opposite lane that they need to be in until the last minute. Almost caused a very nervous me to go over the shoulder numerous times.
I would have to say that the road leading to the chinook mall (hmm passes by a cemetery on the side of a hill) was probly the worst for that. 35 year old moms and 50 year old construction workers pulling the fast and furious moves inbetween cars.

david_bmx
08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
it is like nobody sees you guys on bikes, my cuz rides and he says every one cuts you off wtf people watch out for bikes. :closed:

DannyO
08-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by david_bmx
it is like nobody sees you guys on bikes, my cuz rides and he says every one cuts you off wtf people watch out for bikes. :closed:

No shit, people really need to check there sides when changing lanes, or have your side mirrors at the right angle, a couple summers ago when driving, if I didn't shoulder check I would of probably have killed 2 bikers by now from them being right by my side but unable to see them in my sides.

Phy
08-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Which is of course why you shoulder check, DannyO. Your mirrors cannot tell you everything; at least not without looking really silly.

This is why I refuse to ride alongside a car if I can help it. It's too easy to lose track of me.

Back on subject once again: Deerfoot-Anderson does have one thing going for it - when no-one's around, the turn-offs can be fun to take at speed. Foot North onto Anderson/Bow Bottom (the split) and Anderson onto Bow (that sweeping right around the ball fields) are old favorites for injecting a bit of life into a drive.

Rabid
08-11-2005, 10:04 AM

You sure you're not Dar:eek:

TheBenzo
08-11-2005, 11:56 PM
When Im on my bike I ride with the brights on, usually 2 gears lower than I should be... load as possible and as iconspicuous as possible. Ive been cut off more times than foreskins at a Jewish temple. Its scary.. and I am glady the braking on a bike is superior.

Phy
08-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Benzo - you should get a headlight modulator. I believe they are legal in Alberta.