PDA

View Full Version : Attention Old Drivers

B17a
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Sometimes you gotta just let go. When you can't fucking see anymore, get away from the goddamn car!

This morning on 9th ave coming into work, I'm coming down 9th ave coming up to the 3rd street intersection in front of Gulf. Cars on 3rd street have a no-turn on red. The light had been green for quite a while, I'm coming down in the far left lane on 9th. As I approach the intersection this old codger decides to turn on the red right in front of me, I instinctually swerved to my right, thank god there was nobody in that lane or I would have sideswipped them. I lay on the horn to this old fuck. I finally pull up next to him at the next set of lights continuing with the horn and profanities. He was either ignoring me (most likely) or so fucking out of it he still didn't notice me.

I swear, I prefer 16 year old drivers to 60 year olds. At least they are predictable. When I see a kid driving in traffic I can usually anticipate that they will a) will usually hammer the gas in a merge and cram their way in b) hammer it off every light c) make a lane change at the first crack of space. Old people, I never have a fucking clue, change lanes no signal no looky, drive slow, don't look, signal on for 10km, stop in merges....

benyl
08-10-2005, 09:32 AM
haha, my Grandfather is 89 and still has his license and drives everyday. I get him to call me before he does so that I can make sure I am off the road!

I think that there should be mandatory testing after a certain age. Face it, your quick reactions are just not there anymore.

2000_SI
08-10-2005, 09:35 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

I hear you when it comes to that man... but I can only agree with you partially...

I went to go visit my Grandparents not to long ago, and while I was down there, they offered to take me out for dinner. So we all hopein my grandpa's escalade, and wow.... there sure is a difference in his driving now (he jsut turned 80). He was doing like 20 under the speed limit, all over the place, someimes forgot to signal... Luckily he lives in Lethbridge, so traffic there isnt as insane as it is here....

Now on the other hand, when I visited my grandmother in Vancouver (she's 83), she is an hardcore driver... Signals, shoulder checks, does at least 10 over, and all the time shes cursing at the "Old trouts that are driving to slow" :rofl:

So not all old people are bad drivers, jsut the majority.... Maybe they should make it a requirment that after you pass a certain age you need to do a drivers test and visial test every few years :dunno:

max_boost
08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
I spot them and then proceed to stay the hell away from them!

civic_stylez
08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
my grandma drove 20 some kilometers down the highway at 85 kmh with her left indicator on the whole f'n time...you want to say something when youre in the car behind them but you dont because their old and confused...:D

Xtrema
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
They introduced GDL for the kids.

Now they need to do the same with the old and retest them every 3-5 years.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 09:47 AM
If everyone wasn't in such a rush, old drivers wouldn't be a problem. So what if they're going really slow, it's better than going too fast. When you're old, you like to enjoy the scenery.

Xtrema
08-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by fingirl
If everyone wasn't in such a rush, old drivers wouldn't be a problem. So what if they're going really slow, it's better than going too fast. When you're old, you like to enjoy the scenery.

I don't have a problem with slowness but their decision making ability. Anywhere from guaging traffic, prep for lights to predicting other vehicles on the road.

My dad in his 50's is definately better than my dad in his 60's. I can't imagine him being on the road in his 70's.

If the government start retesting old drivers, at least they'll have to accept the professional opinion of the tester when they take the license away, not just a son talking out of his ass.

pitwipe
08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
^ Going too slow can be just as dangerous as speeding. That's why cops will pull people going too slowly on major roads.

fast95pony
08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
When you're old, you like to enjoy the scenery.

But what if they can only see 20 feet in front of them ?? :dunno:

B17a
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

This wasn't meant to be a young vs. old drivers debate. Just me venting after this morning. If it had been a teenager I probably would have said the same thing but switched groups around!:D

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Such a rush? Yes there are people rushing but i think most of the people here jsut want the old people to DO THE SPEEDLIMIT at least. No matter if you have some where to go or your just cruising, being stuck behind an old couple who thinks driving 30 is safe *cough cough*, its not fun. In situations like they their "I am older i can do what i want" attitude needs to turn off and they need to pull over to let people driving appropriatly pass.

I also agree that they should pass a law for seniors so they have to have a test to keep their licence. ever 3-5 years. Heck even most of the elderly I have talked to agree.

Its about being safe. I believe that speeding and going to slow are both equally dangerous. But I have witnessed way more accidents or almost accidents happening because some one decides to drive slow. The speed limit is there for a reason so every one, young and old, should obey it.

FiveFreshFish
08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
Now on the other hand, when I visited my grandmother in Vancouver (she's 83), she is an hardcore driver... Signals, shoulder checks, does at least 10 over, and all the time shes cursing at the "Old trouts that are driving to slow" :rofl:

As with any skill, the more you do it, the sharper you stay at it. Good for your grandma. :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
If everyone wasn't in such a rush, old drivers wouldn't be a problem. So what if they're going really slow, it's better than going too fast. When you're old, you like to enjoy the scenery. Calgary is a city of over a million people. A million people that have schedules and deadlines. If life here is too fast paced for you, move to a smaller and simpler place.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I'm a stoopid punk ass who can't drive!

Where do you live? My son's going to come beat you up.

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM

:rofl: Love you to.

fingirl
08-10-2005, 01:31 PM
It's "too".

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow love the maturity level stope cluttering the thread take it to PM. You have one
EDIT: I am removing myself from this thread now to avoid cluttering with somethat that has nothing to do with the original thread.

BubbaSTi
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Wow....

She is a FIESTY one...

anyone else find that hot?

j/k

Xtrema
08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
:poosie: :poosie:

2000_SI
08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
:hijack:

B17a
08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Alright you focker stay on target, stay on target. This thread was about bitching about oldies, not between Dar Heatherington and you other jokers. Keep it straight or it'll be locked.

Supa Dexta
08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I fackin' hate when I see some ooooold person roll into a handi capped spot, half ass sideways in a fancy car, and get out and hardly be able to walk...!... I mean seriously, they couldn't jump out of the way if a stiff breeze had a shopping cart comming straight at em'... how can they expect to react to something behind the wheel...

:rolleyes:

Wildcat
08-10-2005, 03:57 PM
amen brotha, i fucking hate old people.

MrPid
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Claim it now - somebody's going to use it for their signature!

schurchill39
08-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Gochris has that one. Man that comment has me shaking in my booties. Man I hope her son doesnt figure out i live 3 hours away.

She also told me in a PM that i need ot find more caution tape (the stuff in my interior but its taken off now) because i am gunna need it when her son beats the shit out of me.

Damn old drivers, on the way home from my girlfriends house today i stalled twice because my beater is a piece of shit and the old people in front of me werent going fast enough for me following to keep the right RPMs for my car to stay running. I guess thats what you get when you mix a 1985 ford tempo and 30kms in a 50 zone.

TaiChino
08-11-2005, 03:14 AM
I think people should have to retake driving tests and eye tests once they reach a certain age. Some people may deteriorate faster than others, so it would be unfair to take licenses away at set ages. Instead have them prove they are a good driver for them to drive for another 5-10 years, then take the test again. So many things can happen at that age like hearing going, eyesight, and just plain thought process. Thats my opinion.

Phy
08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
I may have said this before. Now I say it again. ERRATIC DRIVING IMPAIRS OTHER PEOPLE'S ABILITY TO MAKE GOOD DECISIONS.

This morning I got stuck behind an old fart in a Ford Bronco, chucking gravel at my head from his tires, because I thought he was going to get over into the middle lane on Blackfoot (he really just forgot to the left-hand turn signal on) and I needed into the right lane. I probably should have picked up on the old-fartness vibes wafting off his car, but should I really have to?

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Haha

My personal favorite would have to be my grandparents. They are somewhere in their late 70's I believe.

My grandpa is the only one out of the two of them that can move his body enough to be able to drive the car, however he can't see anything. So my grandma has to sit beside him and tell him:

- if the light is green, yellow, or red
- if there is a stop sign, yield sign etc
- most of the time he can't see the turns either so my grandma has to guide him on when to start turning the wheel.

They call it "teamwork". I call it "I'm glad I don't live in Winnipeg"

YamaLube
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
About 5 years ago I saw this big boat backin up out of a parking spot in a lot, can't remember where, at the mall I think. Anyways, its backing up really slow, like 1" per second, until bonk, gently touches a cars bumper, no damage, then puts in drive and leaves, it was a senior citizen, like 80 years old, but too old and stiff to turn his head, so he just backs up until he hits something, and then goes forward. Imagine what he did for a lane change?

kiwi
08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
We had a bad encounter with an old man in his 90's a few years ago! :eek:

He either forgot to check both ways, or he just couldn't see us, & he ran the stop sign.

schurchill39
08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Holy shit on my way home from work today I saw an old guy clip some ones parked truck with his mirror. When i pulled over to make sure the old guy didnt drive away and to check the damage the guy got mad at me. "Jeeze i dont know what happend there I didnt hit his truck or nothing no damage. Who are you? you own this truck or something? Get outta here i am not gunna drive away and there is no damage go home"
He was saying he didnt hit the truck but thre was nothing else around no trees or nothing and the parked trucks (avalanche i think) mirror was bent backwards.
Moron

lastprodigy
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi
Wow....

She is a FIESTY one...

anyone else find that hot?

j/k

would be hot if she was hot :poosie: but somehow i imagine some dirty old hag that never got any getting turned on my ranting teenagers...hiding behind the dyke lesbo avatar pic

Originally posted by Wildcat
amen brotha, i fucking hate old people.

:werd: jsut on the road though, other then that theyre usuall ymanageable .....

last week there was this old guy in a windstar going about 50 (limit 80) ...i pass him too see hes wearing a freakin eyepatch and looked like he just had a cateract

BubbaSTi
08-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

last week there was this old guy in a windstar going about 50 (limit 80) ...i pass him too see hes wearing a freakin eyepatch and looked like he just had a cateract

:hijack:

fingirl
08-16-2005, 04:21 PM
5 days later and the best thing you can come up with to contribute to the thread is " :hijack: "???

:rofl:

Toms-SC
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
hahaaha

illeagle
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Fingirl Pwn3z again... haha... Now is this the nice old lady, or did someone "access your account" again? lol

as for the trhead topic.. YES!!!! seniors behind the wheel, (most of them) fucking SUCK at driving... the good part is they only come out early in the morning -lunch..

I've been cut off pretty bad many times by seniors...Some so bad my heart is pounding from the shock.. I used to do the same, freak out.. and make a big deal out of it... Now i just don't give a fuck.. Every now and then, i give it back to them, But i have actually caused accidents returning the favor... and that just isen't cool, (it wasen't my intention)... just because someone diden't see you, or is prolly new to the city, so what, you got cut, off, it happens everywhere and to everyone who drives... It's part of the driving life.

EDIT: If your one that gets REALLY fucking angry when you get cut off when you know your right... fucking hit the car... plow your motherfucking car into whoever cut you off, or Is cutting you off... It sounds harsh, but hey, new car, some injury cash, you got to do somthing about it and buddy that cut you off prolly won't cut anyone off anymore cuz he has no car!!

Z24_3.1.
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Lol no what u guys alll tlaking about old ppl are great they just drive slow dont know how to turn nothing at all wait to think of it THEY shouldnt drive :P hahah

arian_ma
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by B17a
signal on for 10km

Hahahahahahahahaha! that was hilarious! ahahahahaha!!!!