PDA

View Full Version : Lug nuts too tight ...

fast95pony
08-10-2005, 11:50 AM
This has happened several times now...
I get the car back from the dealer and the lug nuts were wayyy overtorqued. :banghead: .

Luckily I was getting the tires replaced at My Tires , and they were able to get them off.

Do any shops take the time to properly torque lug nuts ??

GSR Zero
08-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Kal Tire hand torques all lug nuts and then will get you to come back after driving 100 km to re-tighten.

fast95pony
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
That's nice to know..

ninspeed
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
nope... torque sticks should be used, and are usually good +- 4ft lbs... but alot of times young techs dont get trained to use them right.

Weapon_R
08-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Do any shops take the time to properly torque lug nuts ??

Probably not, but if thats the worst of your complaints, consider yourself lucky.

finboy
08-10-2005, 05:23 PM
kal tire on edmonton trail refused me service because my car is modified (even though it has stock replacement shocks and is stock ride height) :thumbsdow

VetteRacin
08-10-2005, 05:46 PM
my shop hand torques everything too

jdmakkord
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Anand at mytires always torques lugs properly.

AllGoNoShow
08-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Fountain Tire lube/tire techs hand torque w/ 100km re-torque free of charge, some of the journeymen use torque sticks tho

Ferio_vti
08-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
Kal Tire hand torques all lug nuts and then will get you to come back after driving 100 km to re-tighten.

Surprisingly, Walmart does this too.

Thaco
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Fountain Tire lube/tire techs hand torque w/ 100km re-torque free of charge, some of the journeymen use torque sticks tho BAHAHAH, i worked for a fountain tire, they dont torque ANYTHING. except maybe your wallet.

FiveFreshFish
08-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Get one of these and you never have to worry about it again.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/SnapOn1.jpg

Xtrema
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Do it yourself. Lugs too tight or not even will warp disc and give tire uneven wear.

Crappy trie torque their installs as well.

fast95pony
08-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Get one of these and you never have to worry about it again.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/SnapOn1.jpg

I have one . I took the Focus in for it's 50K oil change and inspection , which included a tire rotation.A few days later at My Tires ,they commented on the lug nuts being really tight. A few days later at a Solo 2 event , a lug nut cracked while I was changing wheels. I had to get the spline drive welded to the nut to get it off. I noticed that some of the other nuts were showing signs of cracks too. I have replaced them all ,and they are correctly torqued.
I can't prove it, but I bet the Ford tech who rotated the tires ,
had something to do with the cracks.

GSR Zero
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by finboy
kal tire on edmonton trail refused me service because my car is modified (even though it has stock replacement shocks and is stock ride height) :thumbsdow

Ya the Kal on Edmonton Trail used to be really good about things. I used to go there a lot with my Integra. But now they have a new manager that likes to go by the book. I brought them a lot of customers and always do a winter tire run with 8-10 cars. So the previous managers always gave me fleet pricing. Not any more I guess. :thumbsdow