PDA

View Full Version : Sprained Ankle

KleanCord
08-10-2005, 02:10 PM
I was playing soccer about a month ago now and I sprained my ankle. I must have sprained it during the game because it didnt start stiffening up until later that night. Then when I woke up in the morning I couldnt even put any weight on it. Then by that afternoon (day after) I was able to walk on it fine. Still hurt a bit.

Anyways we ended up not playing for 2 weeks (because of weather). But then when I first went to play again it was very sore, first time I kicked a ball it hurt. Then a week passed and I started taping my ankle up and my problems went away. I thought I was fine but then on Saturday I played again and it was a bit sore still (ran out of tape, while taping up my ankle). I only hurts when my ankle is at extreme angles. For example I can run on it fine but then when I put on a tight sock it can hurt as it pulls the outstretched ankle up. Or when I kick a soccer ball, the ankle foot is stretched out and the sudden impact sends the shock. Or finally, jumping hurts too if I exert alot of effort.

Sorry for that long story.

Now should I get this checked out, is it more serious than I originally thought. Should I let it rest and skip out on the next couple of games? How serious are ankle sprains? I have got them in the past but I dont ever remember them lasting this long. Then I started reading up on the internet about how sprained ankles can leave your tendons weak and never fully recovered and it started freaking me out. Any older people found that sprained ankles led to bad ankles or constant ankle pain in the future?

Any thoughts?

2jzgte
08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Dont continue to play until most of the pain has gone away. You dont have to go to a doctor, but if the pain persist more then a week then yeah you should go. Just ice it and keep it elevated then a few days it should clear up abit.

hockeybronx
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Typically with sprains and strains it's just a matter of regaining your range of motion and re-strenghtening the entire joint.

Since it was some time ago, your ankle has probably had time to rest it just is extremely weak. You need to start slowly going through rehab on your ankle. That means testing it's limits only to the point of pain, and then aiding it in restoration from those tests.

Use your other ankle as a stabilizer while doing exercises that will restrengthen your injured one. Exercises such as calf raises, inverted calf raises, simple jumps, stair work, and lateral movements will all test your ankles ability to deal with pain. Do windsprints forwards, backwards, and side to side which are all soccer related movements.

Go through these exercises and then ice the injured ankle for about 30-60 minutes afterwards and I'd say within 2-3 weeks it'll feel better. You might be able to get away with a small session of these movements everyday, but if you are feeling pain then go every second or every third day.

At this point I wouldn't suggest taking it in to get it looked at, but if you try this rehab schedule and you find you are getting nowhere then you may need further treatment.

KleanCord
08-10-2005, 03:57 PM
thanx:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
08-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Although I'm sure you are probably aware of this, I guess I should also add that warming up and stretching is very important especially during the rehab process.

Do an easy 5 minute warm-up to increase your heart rate before doing this rehab training, and follow the training with a good 15-20 minute full body stretch. The stretching will not only be good for the trouble ankle, but for the rest of your body as well.

GucciBoy
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
bit off topic sorry OP, but what does it say to you when an employer insists and demands you to still work with a sprained ankle so bad, youre on crutches.

hope you get better OP

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
bit off topic sorry OP, but what does it say to you when an employer insists and demands you to still work with a sprained ankle so bad, youre on crutches.

hope you get better OP

You go to a doctor and get them to check it out, then when he deems you unsuitable to work you use your doctors reference to file a workers compensation form for an injury leave and take it from there.

Payner
08-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Use raw cabbage. Wrap raw cabbage around your ankle and use a tensor bandage and leave it for a day and it should heel a little faster.

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Payner
Use raw cabbage. Wrap raw cabbage around your ankle and use a tensor bandage and leave it for a day and it should heel a little faster.

:confused:

Dude, I have never heard of using cabbage before. Do you have a source for that?

GucciBoy
08-16-2005, 02:35 AM
^ hmmm interesting, wouldnt surprise me. Afterall one of my families best remedies, as odd as it may sound is rolling a hard boiled egg on any brooze/sprain and it helps the healing. It really does work! Must do it for a good 3 or 4 days, 30mins each time.