PDA

View Full Version : Any Oil and Gas Application Support on board?

1BADSTI
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi all:

Is any of beyond member is a application support for Oil & Gas. What type of support you have to do in the job? What requirement they need in order to get the job. Some of the application I've heard about is Accumap, Petrolab, and Fieldview. I don't know what are these application do...Any of your help would greatly appreciate. Thank you...

rc2002
08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
A diploma from SAIT would be the best way. Of the applications you've listed, I've only used Accumap. Basically it's a way of extracting production data for wells but it's very customizeable.

TheBenzo
08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Meh, go into process control and telemetry.. modbus/ladder logic Roc.. fuck the other shit.

1BADSTI
08-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
A diploma from SAIT would be the best way. Of the applications you've listed, I've only used Accumap. Basically it's a way of extracting production data for wells but it's very customizeable.

Thanks richardchan2002,

I have a CNT sait dip and i have couple years experience on rig work. I wonder, is there an Accumap trial software which i can download just to play with it. Also, if you know any application that use within Geology, and geophysics. Your feedback would greatly appreciate.

redline
08-11-2005, 08:07 AM
You will not find any trail versions of oil and gas software for download. Most oil and gas apps are very very expensive, most companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year on Accumap alone.

The best way to get into oil and gas IT is take an entry level helpdesk job and after you have put in a year or two at that level you can start branching out.

Or you can get a job for one of the software companies as most of them are local calgary companies and work in their support departments.

only the big companies will have support people that just deal with g & g apps. Small companies will require you to know general it support also.

But a deploma from sait, or mount royal is a good start place to build your knowledge.

KLCC
08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I used to be in the role of O&G application support. But back in the day, I support the software, winPic, and the company that produced winPic got bought out by some other O&G software company. my role was to trouble shoot our application and bring ideas to the programmer to implement. (I think that's pretty much the standard for all application support.... :rolleyes: )

I remember back in the day, when I had production classes in SAIT. People from fekete would give us trail softwares that's valid for about 30 days. Trail softwares are useless in my opinion, because any individual (or students for that matter) does not have any large set of geological data to be fully utilize by the software (i.e. well pressure, production history and all other sort of information). Therefore, why provide us the trail software, that just seems as a waste of money. But that was accient history.

As redline suggested it, best bet to gain valuable experience would be by working in the O&G companies. Hmm... I wonder how does O&G software industries works now?? probably quite good with the spike of oil prices??

1BADSTI
08-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your reply, I think O&G software industries are still very good in Canada due to the high prices. However, to get into the industry is pain in the butt. Most of job now must go thru agency which is NOT good. Even tho...you have plenty of experiences and no networking. You don't have a job. Honestly, who would hook you up with a good job. That is pretty sad....Anyway, thanks for your reply

Xtrema
08-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 1BADSTI
Most of job now must go thru agency which is NOT good. Even tho...you have plenty of experiences and no networking. You don't have a job. Honestly, who would hook you up with a good job. That is pretty sad....Anyway, thanks for your reply

That's the ultimate truth of job searching in all areas. It's always who you know, what you know comes 2nd.

Agnecies are not all evil blood suckers if you find the right one. When you're starting out, you probably have to endure a bit of blood sucking anyway to build experience.

Key is, if you're in school, try to get co-op terms in O&G field. That'll accelerate your experience and chances to land the job you want when you're out.

And remember, don't limit your self because you see $66 oil today. Analyst does predict oil to drop back to $40 in 2007/08. Oil price has always cycled in the past.

bspot
08-12-2005, 12:25 PM
I work for one of the big oil companies supporting and managing a bunch of apps including Accumap (which our invoice is in the millions for).

How I got here:

I took software engineering at the U of C, my summer job ended up being here. 2 years after being out of school and working at other jobs, my old boss called me up and offered me a nice big contract.

I'm back, and it kicks ass here. The other companies I worked for sucked. Oil and Gas is where its at for sure.

Oh yeah... also, if this helps:

Until I started this job, I had never used Accumap in my life. Yet I stepped in supporting it for 1300 Accumap users that we have here :rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
^^ The analysts are all over the place, but with the growing, yet irregular, demand from China, it's tough to predict with any certainty.
But you're right..a co-op term really helps.

If I remember correctly, IHS Energy developed Accumap, and they're based in Calgary. Actually....phone number is 770-4646.

For accounting software, you have Jiblink and Synergy in Calgary for sure. Also Wolfpac, Prism, Qbyte (IBM), CS Explorer, Enerlink, etc.

Not all temp agencies are blood suckers. I've actually had a couple of good ones.

1BADSTI
08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. I've out of school for awhile already. I used to work for kelly services and they are blood suckers and bunch of a**hole there. I don't know what agency is good in calgary anymore. They are all like that.
For accumap support, what type of support you have to do... Can u guys name a few of how the job role is. Also, any of you guys have ever work and support Fieldview application?

KLCC
08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Believe it or not, I think don't think oil price will ever hit below 50/barrel ever again. When you got uncertainty from Iraq, fight against terrorism, the rising of BRIC nations and non-replenishing supply. It is only matter of time before the oil price hits 3 digit marks. Sooner or later, we will be paying more than 2 bucks for regular.

CSMRX7
08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I work for an O&G Software Company.

We do high end Reservoir Simulation Software. I currently split half my time in high end technical support/consulting and half in account management.

To get in to a high level software company you essentially have to start at the bottom in a Customer Support Role (which can be really fun with the right software) and work your way up from there. I think most high end technical applications will at least require a BS in the field of interest. We rarely hire anyone with less than an MS in engineering.

JeremyD
08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
For agencies I have heard nothing but good things out of Longview. Teksystems is another not bad one. Whenever I talked with them they were upfront on what was going on (though I never did take a job with them. They had a lot of 3 month contracts).

Xtrema
08-15-2005, 05:34 PM
^ Longview generally has good reviews. Teksystems is ok but you'll expect rip off agents from even good companies.

redline
08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
You can try Metafore also

1BADSTI
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD
For agencies I have heard nothing but good things out of Longview. Teksystems is another not bad one. Whenever I talked with them they were upfront on what was going on (though I never did take a job with them. They had a lot of 3 month contracts).

JeremyD:

Do you know what is the webpage of longview? And if you know any good longview's agent that i can contact. Please let me know...thanks

89coupe
08-16-2005, 03:16 PM
What are those programs :dunno:

LOL...just kidding. I suggest taking the Petroleum Technology course at SAIT for a good base. From there you have a very good chance of getting on with any Oil & Gas company as a junior and then its just a matter of learning the software through time and practice.

I use all 3 of those you mentioned along with Trango Manager, Seis-X, Geosyn, Log Axxes and a few custom applications as well.

Its good to know them all.

Originally posted by 1BADSTI
Hi all:

Is any of beyond member is a application support for Oil & Gas. What type of support you have to do in the job? What requirement they need in order to get the job. Some of the application I've heard about is Accumap, Petrolab, and Fieldview. I don't know what are these application do...Any of your help would greatly appreciate. Thank you...

kaput
08-16-2005, 05:16 PM

AndrewMZ3
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Our company uses LongView for our helpdesk too. The guys I've talked to from there say they're a really good company to work for.