PDA

View Full Version : Where to take a 15 year old for dinner?

Melinda
08-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey guys, need some advice.

It's been brought to my attention that my little neighbour has been going through some major personal issues revolving around growing up, being stuck in the middle of 3 other siblings and starting highschool in the fall and I think she's pretty bummed and overwhelmed about it all.

Her and I used to be pretty good friends when we were younger dispite the 6 year age difference, but I kinda lost touch with her when I hit high school. I'm not trying to 'rescue' her or be her little mentor or anything, but I thought it might be nice to take her for dinner and have a nice little chat about stuff. Her stepmom has somewhat hinted lately that she hasn't had anyone to really talk to or confide in about everything that's going on, so maybe a nice evening out with an old friend is just what she needs.

Here's where the advice comes in. I wanna take her some place nice, not just moxies or whatever, but no where too swanky (cause let's face it, she's only 15) Where would you guys suggest taking her for a fun, nice dinner with a pretty broad menu selection? Preferably suggestions in the south area, around chinook centre within a 15 min drive or so! We've made plans to go on a monday evening if that helps.

Thanks in advance everyone!

gpomp
08-11-2005, 12:04 AM
pizza hut....... ??

finboy
08-11-2005, 12:05 AM
fake id and go clubbing :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
08-11-2005, 12:05 AM
broken plate?

m y first thought was BP's just because youger people like places like that but if then i thought that if you go there then she might see some of her friends and not bt so open?

trying to steer younger people can be a hard thing, they either eat up everything you say, or rebel agaisnt you.. no matter what words come out of your mouth.

I wish her the best, and hope you can help her out

Melinda
08-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
pizza hut....... ??

Originally posted by finboy
fake id and go clubbing :thumbsup:
Haha I use moxies as my example of crappy and you say BP's and a nightclub? LOL those are worse, aren't they? Thanks for the suggestions though!

Rick, what is/where is broken plate? I've never heard of it

JAYMEZ
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
There is a very good broken plate in Kensignton (sp) , I think the food is awesome , and its actually pretty loud there , so any awkward moments are drowned out by laughter from other people

SwitchBlade
08-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Joeys or East Side marios?

unfocus
08-11-2005, 12:15 AM
a italian restuarant.. hmmmm how bout take her bowling.... bowling is usually fun... have lots of tiem to talk and play and eat of course...

illeagle
08-11-2005, 12:19 AM
chuck-e-cheese?

j/k... the keg? cactus club?

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Joey Tomato's in Chinook.

RickDaTuner
08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

Haha I use moxies as my example of crappy and you say BP's and a nightclub? LOL those are worse, aren't they? Thanks for the suggestions though!

Rick, what is/where is broken plate? I've never heard of it

its on mcloed(sp) right by south center mall, never been, but i hear its a good place to go, decent dinning or so i hear

GucciBoy
08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
the itchy hut.:)

Gurpy
08-11-2005, 12:32 AM
tony romas

KELSTAR
08-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

its on mcloed(sp) right by south center mall, never been, but i hear its a good place to go, decent dinning or so i hear

It's in Willowpark Village on the northern end on Macleod Trail (on the corner of the strip mall)

GucciBoy
08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
hey why not Thi Thi Subs?! haha

Cactus Club
Tony Romas
The Red Devil
The Love Shack
Saigon Y2K
Olive Garden
Red Lobster
Red Robins (still one up?)

AcuraTl
08-11-2005, 12:58 AM
mack dees?

Benny
08-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Go to Buzzards and get her to eat some prairie oysters. :thumbsup:

TurboMedic
08-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Saigon Y2K.....great food.....

fcuk_it
08-11-2005, 02:49 AM
jack astors on mcleod and southland?? they give you crayons and you can draw on the table too.. haha

szw
08-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Ask her what she likes?

googe
08-11-2005, 03:38 AM
french maid?

Melinda
08-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by szw
Ask her what she likes?
I did, she says she's not picky, she just doesn't like spicy foods.

Thanks for those of you who posted REAL suggestions! :)

sputnik
08-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Tell her to get dressed up and just go somewhere nice. At that age nothing kids want more is to be treated like an adult.

- Verve is cool too. They have a diverse menu and live jazz in the evening.
- PiqNiq is alright. They have a nice atmosphere and a pretty good menu.
- Murriettas is a good choice, and you are right across the street from Fiasco. Grab some gelati and wander down Stephen Ave.
- Broken Plate is fun and has some great entertainment with the Zorba dancers. Also near the Fiasco in Kensington.

statick
08-11-2005, 07:52 AM
cactus club is a really good choice, as the food there is pretty wicked, it has a good atmosphere, and it is close to chinook. I think it's really good that you're doing, all the best of luck with it:thumbsup:

sputnik
08-11-2005, 08:02 AM
^

Personally I find the Cactus Club on Barlow (north of 32nd Ave NE) to be a nicer location.

statick
08-11-2005, 08:07 AM
^i've only been to the one on barlow, I assume the one by chinook will be just as good, sorry if i make a bad assumption:dunno:

sputnik
08-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Same food and stuff. The Chinook location is about 1/3 of the size. It doesnt have the nice washrooms and I find it quite noisy and people are crammed in pretty tight.

The Barlow location has nice quiet booths and a huge patio area, and even when it is packed it doesnt seem that noisy.

UnkleSalty
08-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Take her to Banga Lok (sp) the place is pretty nice and the food is excellent, even when you walk in they have a ton of cut outs from newspapers with great reviews about the place, perfect for sitting around eating great food and being able to talk

sputnik
08-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Her and I used to be pretty good friends when we were younger dispite the 6 year age difference, but I kinda lost touch with her when I hit high school. I'm not trying to 'rescue' her or be her little mentor or anything, but I thought it might be nice to take her for dinner and have a nice little chat about stuff. Her stepmom has somewhat hinted lately that she hasn't had anyone to really talk to or confide in about everything that's going on, so maybe a nice evening out with an old friend is just what she needs.

Don't be intimidated by the "mentor" word. It is amazing what going out for coffee a couple times a month with do for someone. Don't feel that you have to be full of wisdom and advise to be a mentor. Mentors are just people that ask the odd question and keep a conversation going for a few hours per week.

I encourage you to build a relationship with her. High school can be a really tough time for many kids. It is usually the "make or break" period for many. Who knows, you might be the one that keeps her on track to a successful life, instead of ending up with a loser boyfriend making $10/hr and an unwanted pregnancy.

Just a thought. Obviously I dont you know you or her. But I know how much the older people in my life meant to me then and even now. In fact I still meet with someone a couple times a month for coffee just to talk. Was great to have someone to talk (that wasnt family) to while I was preparing to get married.

civic_stylez
08-11-2005, 08:18 AM
id say jack astors. its a really relaxed atmosphere and the crayon/table ideas is fun no matter how old you are!

sputnik
08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
id say jack astors. its a really relaxed atmosphere and the crayon/table ideas is fun no matter how old you are!

They dumped that recently and renovated. Now Jack Astors is an Earls/Joeys clone.

I was quite disappointed. They also got rid of most of their menu, dont have the painted shirts and never do the bartender shows.

Phy
08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
not just moxies or whatever

Not even the one down near Anderson? Dang, and I thought they did that up pretty well.

Just call me the bourgeoisie.

k_dawg
08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey mel, if she likes pasta or italian food, I'd say take her to Chanti's (spelling error) on 17 ave SW. If you need the address I can give it to you as well just drop me PM. Hope this helps you mel :)

fingirl
08-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I used to take my son to Pizza Hut a lot! When I looked at him I can tell he lovvvved it!

gkAeris
08-11-2005, 09:48 AM
maybe patal(sp) right on macloed trial

it's like a mogilian resturant, pretty cool astmosphere

(alot of sp errors)

fingirl
08-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by gkAeris
maybe patal(sp) right on macloed trial

it's like a mogilian resturant, pretty cool astmosphere

(alot of sp errors)

"Palatal" is alright but it's better if you choose the food and get them to cook it for you. Cooking it yourself at the table is a pain in the ass because people are always putting their meat on yours, then it sticks to the grill, then it stinks because it burns, and you get real hungry, and blah blah blah.

Melinda
08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Don't be intimidated by the "mentor" word. It is amazing what going out for coffee a couple times a month with do for someone. Don't feel that you have to be full of wisdom and advise to be a mentor. Mentors are just people that ask the odd question and keep a conversation going for a few hours per week.

I encourage you to build a relationship with her. High school can be a really tough time for many kids. It is usually the "make or break" period for many. Who knows, you might be the one that keeps her on track to a successful life, instead of ending up with a loser boyfriend making $10/hr and an unwanted pregnancy.

Just a thought. Obviously I dont you know you or her. But I know how much the older people in my life meant to me then and even now. In fact I still meet with someone a couple times a month for coffee just to talk. Was great to have someone to talk (that wasnt family) to while I was preparing to get married.
Nah, I'm not scared of the Mentor word, I just don't want to appoint myself as her mentor. If I can help her and make her feel more secure or whatever it is I can do for her, then I TOTALLY will, it would be awesome. However, if I turn out to just be someone she can hang with and have fun for an evening or two every once in a while, then that's alright too.

I think it will be up to her to decide what I will be for her and what role I will play in her life, but I don't think it hurts to get the ball rolling on the matter :) Thanks sputnik

And thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think taking her somewhere downtown would be fun for her, both of her families (her parents are split) aren't very well off so she probably doesnt get to go downtown or out to a decent restaurant very often. Your suggestions have been pretty helpful, alot of the same ones, but that's good, cause it just lets me know what alot of people really like. Maybe some downtown ideas??? :dunno:

Dirty_SOHC
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Joeys downtown!:D

Weapon_R
08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I think the Cactus Club is one of the trendiest places around right now. She'll definately love going there, its more relaxed than the upscale restaurants so she won't feel out of place and the food is good.

nickyh
08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Centini - Italian place by the Hyatt DT
River Cafe
Cannery Row
Teatro's
Lai Caille - although I think it's pretty over-rated
Sorry - I have expensive dining taste....

Eau Claire has a few good places that are cheaper

Bookers is not bad if you don't mind a sketchy area

d-UNiT
08-11-2005, 10:52 AM
^^:werd:

Mad$ella
08-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by googe
french maid?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

saiyajin
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
hmmm dont think its been mentioned but how about some sushi???
towa
hana
kawa
wa's
ichiban for all you can eat
tokyo garden for $1 sushi
:dunno:

D'z Nutz
08-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Have you tried Cravings?

http://www.cravingsmarketrestaurant.com/index.html

My sisters and I tried the place out last month sometime and it was pretty good. They've got a bit of variety there. The pasta and soup was damn good. It's like 5 minutes away from Chinook too.

bspot
08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Abruzzo on 4th ave and 8th street. Yummiest Italian food ever!

camaro
08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Someone was bound to say it. haha

cityhunter2501
08-11-2005, 08:22 PM
never had a problem with Sumo Lounge evening sushi buffet

frozenrice
08-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Melinda, kudos to you for being a good friend and neighbour. You never know if your evening will change her life or not, but good for you for stepping up to help someone. :thumbsup:

If you're looking for a nice place to talk over dinner, I'd suggest Pasquales (right next door to Smuggler's). The menu is somewhat varied and prices aren't too tall. Not franchise-like at all like Moxie's or Earl's but still a casual/classy type place. It's not loud like Moxie's or Earl's either so it'll be easy to carry a converstaion without having to speak loud or yell.
Anyways, just my .02.

Si_FlyGuy
08-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Great thing you're doing there Melinda. A dinner theatre's always fun, but it could get fairly expensive.

likwid
08-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

They dumped that recently and renovated. Now Jack Astors is an Earls/Joeys clone.

I was quite disappointed. They also got rid of most of their menu, dont have the painted shirts and never do the bartender shows.

Painted shirts? Please tell me its what I think.

xrayvsn
08-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Though I have never been there, my brother and sister-in-law really like The Sultan's Tent. Apparently, it is very good food that you get to eat with your hands, and you sit on these plush cushions instead of at a table. I always mean to go since it sounds like fun, but never get around to it when I come down to Calgary.

Don't think that the food is spicy, since my brother-in-law also doesn't like the spicy stuff.

JordanEG6
08-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
chuck-e-cheese?

j/k... the keg? cactus club?

no no no, chuck-e-cheese! :D

or fun tycoon!

too bad easy street is gone :(

woops sorry, forgot my input, how bout open sesame for some nice asain food? its on macleod tr. aross woodridge ford i believe.

FiveFreshFish
08-16-2005, 11:45 PM
We've made plans to go on a monday evening...
Where did you end up going?

Melinda
08-17-2005, 12:12 AM
^^ Not going until the 22...thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Clever
08-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Plaka's in Shawnessy by the Zeller's if you want greek food, it's a small restaurant with great greek food.

for Italian i would recommend a restaurant across from Osteria in Kensington, i cannot remember the name of it right now, smaller restaurant once again so more intimate setting.

i think Sputnik's idea about getting all dressed up is really good, it'll probably take her out of her element and make it more memorable for her as compared to the usual night out for a 15 yr old. and if you do, try out the Vintage on 11 Ave, i've been there for several occasions and it's been a great experience everytime, i've taken my cousin there for her 16th and she loved it.

edit: that italian place might not be there anymore, i just remembered someone mentioning a renovation or relocation. if you do decide to go Kensington try the Muse too.

robpark
08-19-2005, 12:32 PM
San Remo in Garrison woods is gorgeous, not to mention if you want to go for a short walk afterwards it is a nice area to walk through. San Remo had awesome service and REALLY good italian food. Costs around $20 or so per entre, drinks and appetizers are a good price.

Good Luck.

01RedDX
08-19-2005, 05:38 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I say the Cactus Club on Barlow. Sure, it's not the fanciest place in the world, but it's pretty trendy, and when I was 15, I though that "trendy" actually meant "cool." And sometimes it does. Cactus Club is a nice place, the food isn't too bad (or too pricey, for that matter), and it's a good atmosphere for just having a chat with someone. It's not super noisy like a bar, and it's not so-quiet-everyone-in-the-room-can-hear-you-whisper. It's got kind of a "comfortable living room" feel to it, which i think is kinda what you're going for.

Just my suggestion, there's lots of good ones on here already.

Sorath
08-19-2005, 08:44 PM
go to smugglers inn, i work there. great food :D

Melinda
08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Well dinner was last night and I let her pick from the long list of options. She chose Joey's so off we went. Had a really good time, a really nice chat and ended the night with a slurpee before I dropped her off. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll keep this thread in mind for next time I go out for dinner. :)

GucciBoy
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Well dinner was last night and I let her pick from the long list of options. She chose Joey's so off we went. Had a really good time, a really nice chat and ended the night with a slurpee before I dropped her off. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll keep this thread in mind for next time I go out for dinner. :)

slurpee in this wet rainy weather lol, jk

Good to hear, that was very nice of you, Im sure you both had a blast. :)

Melinda
08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
It was nice and sunny on Monday night when we were out...little windy, but sun none the less :)