PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates envisions cars that can't crash

benyl
08-12-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.livescience.com/technology/ap_050502_gates_cars.html

hmmm... wonder what happens when you get a BSD?

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) _ Microsoft Corp. mogul Bill Gates and the leader of Ford Motor Co. outlined a future Friday in which software enables cars to fix themselves and avoid accidents.

Gates and Bill Ford Jr., Ford's chairman and chief executive, said high-definition screens, speech recognition technology, cameras, digital calendars and navigation equipment with directions and road conditions will set car companies apart from their competitors.

Eventually, Gates said, there could be a car that wouldn't let itself crash.

"That absolutely should be the goal,'' Gates told several hundred participants of the Microsoft Global Automotive Summit at the automaker's suburban Detroit campus. "The embrace of technology will be the key for the leaders of the industry.''

Also on Friday, Microsoft unveiled its Performance Peak Initiative _ a line of computer systems to help the auto industry better coordinate supply chains, streamline design, production and sales and fill vehicles with computer gadgets.

The company said its technology is currently in 25 vehicle devices from 13 automotive companies.

Microsoft also owns MSN Autos, a vehicle information and buying network.

Aleks
08-12-2005, 11:47 AM
LOL what would the insurance companies do? what about the auto body shops?

MiG_Master
08-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Wow, I'm really looking forward to the day that cars drive themselves. Then I won't have to do anything at all, all day long.

:rolleyes:

ninjak84
08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Gates and Bill Ford Jr., Ford's chairman and chief executive, said high-definition screens, speech recognition technology, cameras, digital calendars and navigation equipment with directions and road conditions will set car companies apart from their competitors.

Sounds like they're making a car to cost as much as a Rolls Royce....
Bill Gates should stick to computers.

Read the article, this is all he's trying to do :rolleyes:

fill vehicles with computer gadgets.

Xtrema
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
There are all kind of technology japanese are working on to reduce accidents while domestics are standing still. May be some of Bill's money can help domestics to catch up.

Phy
08-12-2005, 12:17 PM
How about a computer that won't let itself crash first, Bill?

MiG_Master
08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
At what point does the accident reduction technology take control out of the hands of the driver? Much as I love computers and electronic gagets, I'm not at all comfortable about electronics having control of my car or the cars around me.

I know that they are talking about reversing cameras, infrared sensors and the like, but it eventaully will progress to taking the driver out of the loop.

izzoblitzo
08-12-2005, 12:25 PM
chances are, if vehicles drive themselves, that's the end of the automotive hobbyists. People will no longer drive their cars, no longer know the difference between 115hp and 275hp capable vehicles. The machines will follow the contours of the road, the speed limit.. all while you are sound asleep in your seat.:eek:

and of course, the automotive repair/insurance companies will not have as much business as they do now.. but will still get their fair share... technology doesnt eliminate the unforgiving soccer mom or the careless handicapped senior when they swing their door open to hit yours. :rofl:

tapout
08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Phy
How about a computer that won't let itself crash first, Bill? :werd:

Thaco
08-12-2005, 12:28 PM
sure, right after we learn to teleport. making cars unnecessary.

tictactoe2004
08-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Phy

LOL hahahahahahah thats too funny... so true

BigMass
08-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by MiG_Master
Wow, I'm really looking forward to the day that cars drive themselves. Then I won't have to do anything at all, all day long.

:rolleyes:

yup. What a great fuckin world that would be. Im still waiting for a urinal that will hold my dick for me while i take a piss.

MiG_Master
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
yup. What a great fuckin world that would be. Im still waiting for a urinal that will hold my dick for me while i take a piss.
You know, they do have those toilets in japan that wipe for you afterwards. It's getting there.

DannyO
08-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Phy

:rofl: :rofl: ...no shit, with Windows on board I think Cars would crash about 3 times what they do now.

Cause of Accident: Blue screen of death.

Anyway I don't want a car that drives me, I want something powerful with a shifter that I drive always, screw cars that drive themselves, they should be looking at making cars fly or a delorean that can travel in time.

Xtrema
08-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
chances are, if vehicles drive themselves, that's the end of the automotive hobbyists. People will no longer drive their cars, no longer know the difference between 115hp and 275hp capable vehicles. The machines will follow the contours of the road, the speed limit.. all while you are sound asleep in your seat.:eek:

I think you just described at least 60% of current drivers on the road.

Skyline_Addict
08-14-2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo

and of course, the automotive repair/insurance companies will not have as much business as they do now.. but will still get their fair share... technology doesnt eliminate the unforgiving soccer mom or the careless handicapped senior when they swing their door open to hit yours. :rofl:

welcome to the future! ;), that's already happening.

i don't understand why people are so eager to let machines take over their lives? is it no fun being a regular human being anymore? geez.

djayz
08-14-2005, 02:55 AM
yah im happy with the big screen tvs and the faster computers...keep working on that technology

cars is about the only thing we control anymore

all the kitchen gadgets all the radios and shit already do everything you can imagine.

plus if they want a car that reduces crashes they are going to have to change every vehicle on the road...no matter what if people are driving things will crash cuz no bodies perfect

illeagle
08-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Maybe then, my pizza will come to my door on time!