PDA

View Full Version : Putting 3 peice rims back together...

TypeS
08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
ok, so i took apart my rims and painted the center section black, and while i had them apart i realized they were 3 peice rims, the polished lip was a seperate peice from the rim itself. While i was taking the studs out of the rims, the seal between the lip and the rim popped from the pressure, letting the air out...Now me being an idiot i had the rims painted and all back together before i thought about whether or not i should use a sealant between the rim and lip...i was only dealing with the center section, i never pulled the lip off of the rim so it never occured to me:rolleyes:

Long story short my rims arent doing a very good job of holding air now....so i get to undo all 160 studs, fix the problem, and re tighten all 160 studs:banghead:

My question is what should i use as a sealant between the rim and lip? :dunno:
Thanks in advance

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/kornitarium/102_5173.jpg

luderollup
08-23-2005, 06:23 PM
i dont really know but id have to say a high pressure Silicon' for high pressure water and air lines... u should be able to pick it up at any home depot

RickDaTuner
08-23-2005, 06:35 PM
you are aware that those bolts have a specific ft/lb torque right? if there wasnt any sealent on them when you took them appart, there shouldnt be any when you put them back on.

although i have never delt with 2peice or 3 peivce rims, i remember reading that they are made in such a way that you are supposed to tighten the wheel to the bead of the tire, but i may be way off on that one, tye to contact the wheel manufacturer and follow thier guide lines

braden883314
08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
you are aware that those bolts have a specific ft/lb torque right? if there wasnt any sealent on them when you took them appart, there shouldnt be any when you put them back on.

although i have never delt with 2peice or 3 peivce rims, i remember reading that they are made in such a way that you are supposed to tighten the wheel to the bead of the tire, but i may be way off on that one, tye to contact the wheel manufacturer and follow thier guide lines

I thought that was the case, it was like 3am and we had to be up early with the car on those wheels, so we didnt bother torquing them, they most hold some air, but looks like we'll be tightening the bolts! and its a weird bolt that is used, took us quite awhile to find something that would work properly for undoing them, so we took to long doin that and not enough time putting them back together.

~Braden

EK 2.0
08-23-2005, 06:50 PM
they need to be tq-ed to the proper measurement and as well MAY need a re-balancing. The wheels were prolly made and balanced and if you didnt put them together exactly how you took them off they will be un-balanced. As far as sealant goes, you should not need any. The fasteners SHOULD hold in the air. What i would do is a lil dab of Loctite on teh threads before you re-assemble them again.

Moe Man
08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
beed sealer.....just go to any kal tire they should fix them for free

habsfan
08-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
What i would do is a lil dab of Loctite on teh threads before you re-assemble them again.

use blue loctite, red loctite could make things difficult in the future :D

wheelz
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Working at a tire shop that deals with alot of race wheels here is my two cents. To do it right the tire should be of the rim section. Bead sealer generally doesnt work. It works in between the tire and the rim because of pressure, but not to seal the gap betweem the layers of metal. That being said on some applications I have found that it does work. You can run a bead of RTV type sealant, if torquing the bolts doesnt do enough. And when torquing a crisscross patern works best. Then you put the tire back on the rim and see if it holds air. If not tire off and try again.:banghead: