PDA

View Full Version : Buying a BC car

Khyron
08-13-2005, 11:06 AM
I just commited to buying another mk2 supra, except this one is in Vancouver. The seller sent me tons of pics and they look fantastic. The car just passed its yearly emissions check and has 160K on the clock.

So I'm flying out next week to buy it and drive it back. Are there any pitfalls with these sorts of deals? People buy ebay cars all the time and seem to do well, and this seller isn't asking for any money until I arrive and buy it. He swears it's in mint shape (it looks pretty nice from pics).

Any advice from people that have made long distance purchases?

Also, when you buy an old car you need a safety inspection for insurance. Does and out of province inspection cover all the same things or do they fuck you by asking for both?

Khyron

motoki88
08-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I believe your insurance company will ask you for a safety inspection and the out of province inspection is part of the registration process. So, you will most likely need both since this is an older car. And as for long distance purchases, I haven't done any regarding cars, but my friend bought his 300zx from B.C. a few years back and he's still loving his car. Good luck with your purchase.

CelicaST-162
08-13-2005, 06:21 PM
I am pretty sure it's both unfortunately. But congrats on the soon to be purchase...details on the car?

Kona9
08-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I have bought Two BC vehicles. Do a lein search as well. Just incase. Ya never know. As for the safety Inspection, you should get it anyways just because. If Insurance needs it...it's done.
As mentioned you will need an inspection as well. I trusted the seller on the last BC vehicle I bought. BAD IDEA that was. 2000 dollars of work needed to pass inspection. BE CAREFUL. Not all NICE people are actually NICE.

Good Luck post pics!!!!

Khyron
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/supra1a.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/supra2a.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/supra3.jpg

Flying out this weekend - hopefully all goes well! Carfax passed with no red flags, has always been in BC so should mean minimum rust.

Khyron

dmtx
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Are you driving the car back or ground ship it? Either way you will need temp permit from there to destination.

If he's willing to lend you his plates, I don't think it's an issue...

HRD2PLZ
08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dmtx
Are you driving the car back or ground ship it? Either way you will need temp permit from there to destination.

If he's willing to lend you his plates, I don't think it's an issue...

You can also get temporary "In-transit" registration from the Registries, provided that you also have car insurance in place.

Khyron
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Yep I got my temp insurance, and once I have a bill of sale I can get an Intransit sticker from any BC registry for about 10 bucks.

I'm taking my AB plate as a backup though just in case. A mismatched plate is chump change compared to a no-insurance ticket.

Khyron

motoki88
08-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Wow that's really clean. Good find and good luck with everything.