PDA

View Full Version : What body shop for RX7?

CSMRX7
08-13-2005, 09:40 PM
OK,

As some of you know I put my car into the wall at Race City last night.

From just looking at the outside it needs:
Front Bumper
Fender
Headlights
Radiator
Hood
Air Bags
Windsheild

Since this was racing it will be coming out of my own pocket.

I am not made of money so cost is a factor.

Can someone recomend a bodyshop that does good work for a reasonable price. I will mostlikelys order some aftermarket parts, so they shouldn't be to against installing body kits.

Thanks for all the help, I have to get it towed to a shop on Monday or tuesday so any help would be great.

dooman24
08-13-2005, 09:44 PM
:cry:
AH! crashed an RX7!! i love rx7s!! haha sad to hear.. hope you find a good shop!
some one help the dude out!

88CRX
08-13-2005, 09:47 PM
nationals :rolleyes:

seriously though..... i have yet to hear anything bad about Maranellos

CSMRX7
08-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
nationals :rolleyes:

seriously though..... i have yet to hear anything bad about Maranellos

Ya Maranellos is good but I hear they are super espensive. I know I shouldnt care because they do such great work, but with my luck it will get hit again:(

Obscura
08-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Jerry at Maranello's does incredable work. I've used them a couple of times and they have never dissapointed me in the least.

I was at Race City and saw you hit the wall and saw your car after it was taken off the track. Sorry about your car but glad that you weren't hurt worse.

mshaw
08-13-2005, 10:06 PM
yeah that for sure, i saw 2 ambulances there, thought it was real bad

CSMRX7
08-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Obscura
Jerry at Maranello's does incredable work. I've used them a couple of times and they have never dissapointed me in the least.

I was at Race City and saw you hit the wall and saw your car after it was taken off the track. Sorry about your car but glad that you weren't hurt worse.

I am actually pretty lucky.

I tore a tendon in my neck, and the doctor said I am pretty lucky it didn't sever my spinal cord. But looks like I will have to have sugery to fix it. Plus all the other minor stuff.

GC84ever
08-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Hope you're alright?
What happened?

Good luck finding a good body shop.

JAYMEZ
08-13-2005, 10:09 PM
PMed Jason

CSMRX7
08-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by GC84ever
Hope you're alright?
What happened?

Good luck finding a good body shop.

Coming out of turn 3 the rear end got a little loose (nothing unusual) went to correct for the slide and the car hooked up and went straight into the wall.

Z_Fan
08-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
Coming out of turn 3 the rear end got a little loose (nothing unusual) went to correct for the slide and the car hooked up and went straight into the wall.

Sorry to hear about your car. Glad you are OK.

Remember this:

"Steer to the grass to save your ass."

Edit: Concours Autobody.

CSMRX7
08-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Remember this:

Edit: Councours Autobody.

LOL,

I would have loved to stter to the grass. I normally would have, but the tail and grabed so fast that I was in the wall before I had a chance to react.

Z_Fan
08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
If you ever get the opportunity drive a race car at the oval (perhaps at one of the schools various companies offer), one of the first things you'll get taught is...

The idea is that if your lose control of your car on the turn, you don't bother attempting to correct it. In fact, you steer to the grass and cause the car to spin. You wind up in the infield (always) and never in the wall. I was fortunate to remember this just in time at full speed on the oval when I lost control of the car. (Not auto-x speeds) It saved my ass, and the race car. So it does work.

Really it is the schools attempt to save their cars from being crashed by drivers who might not be able to correct the car in time - or - worse have the car catch with the wheels steering right at the wall. (What you did.)

Obviously what happened to you (and your car) is very unfortunate and I feel badly for you. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. But the slogan is is nothing to LOL about. It's sage advice for saving cars from the wall. I'm really sorry to hear about your car, that's very unfortunate.

finboy
08-13-2005, 10:43 PM
that sucks to hear man, even worse that you got injured, good luck getting your car fixed and getting healed up

Superesc
08-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Might want to try Pacific autobody.

Redlyne_mr2
08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Maranellos is overated IMO, they do great work but there are other places out there that do the same high quality work but at a much lower price. National is awesome but like Maranellos they are bot very personable and just sort of push your car through like its a number. PM Phuqu, aka Dan, he owns Screamin Paintworks. Its a small shop that uses high quality paints and has a very nice down draft booth. He's the one who did Brandos car, the eg with itr front end. Dan will work closely with you to establish the look you want and the price you want to pay. Sorry to hear about the Crash Jay, but look at it this way, time for a 99 front. Flash to pass lights baby.

Ryan :D

asp integra
08-13-2005, 11:48 PM
wow that sucks, hope everything gets fixed ok

dj_rice
08-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Any pics of what the car looks like??

And glad to hear ur okay

A790
08-14-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about what happened man, but I'm glad that you are okay (for the most part).

You could try Lou's Autobody on 9th ave- I've never had a problem with them.

soloracer
08-14-2005, 09:38 AM
That really sucks. I have some parts you might need (bumper rebar, front cover, etc.) Let me know if you are interested. As for a body shop recommendation try Autobahn Autobody. They are great to deal with and have done some nice work for me.

CSMRX7
08-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Soloracer, I may have to take you up on the rebar, it depends if mine is damaged.

James,

I will probably take your driver side fender and steering wheel too. How bad is the damage to the fender?

JAYMEZ
08-14-2005, 11:45 AM
^^ Just a dent , it can be fixed.

Kobe
08-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Obscura

Hey do you have an address for them...

And sorry for the:hijack:

anyways hope all goes well man....
:)

euro_racer
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
don't buy aftermarket body parts when it comes to a car like this, go oem ONLY. you will really see the difference in fittment

CSMRX7
08-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
don't buy aftermarket body parts when it comes to a car like this, go oem ONLY. you will really see the difference in fittment

There are some very high quality replacement parts availiable for the RX7.

To be honest though I am leaning towards the

99 spec front, some kind of sleek headlight kit, and the mazdaspeed hood.

Loose
08-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Have you had an estimate yet? If your airbags blew, you will need more than a rebar, you will need frame work.

CSMRX7
08-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Here is the front end and sideskirts I am looking at

CSMRX7
08-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Here is an idea of how it would look with the hood and the headlights

BokCh0y
08-14-2005, 01:43 PM
national does a lot of body kit installs and aftermarket assembly like that. i've seen the speedtech prelude there before. also had my spoiler installed from them as well. very reasonable price.

BBMac
08-16-2005, 08:27 PM
sad to hear jason. but lets see the damage.... i'm glad to hear you are not hurt to badly!!

finboy
08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
those headlights > *

JAYMEZ
08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer

I have perfect fitment with mine ? Where did you get this info from?

Phuqu
08-17-2005, 02:34 AM
The preliminary estimate is done and I have pictures of the damage. Let's just say that a quick cross measure of the front end puts it out about 4 inches.

I'll post the pics and estimate amount if Jason wants.

CSMRX7
08-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
The preliminary estimate is done and I have pictures of the damage. Let's just say that a quick cross measure of the front end puts it out about 4 inches.

I'll post the pics and estimate amount if Jason wants.

No Problem about posting pics.

I will give you a call later today.

Phuqu
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Here's one for you.

JAYMEZ
08-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Its not that bad , I thought it would be worse!

CSMRX7
08-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Its not that bad , I thought it would be worse!

It doesn't look bad but the repair bill is really bad.

Like bad enough that I don't know if I will fix it. :cry:

Go4Long
08-17-2005, 01:06 PM
it could have been worse man...no airbag went off I assume...
cus those are damn expensive...

OrderedCHAOS
08-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
it could have been worse man...no airbag went off I assume...
cus those are damn expensive...

Look at the very 1st post. It needs airbags, so I am pretty sure they probably got triggered.

JAYMEZ
08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
I have an airbag for him for dirt cheap.. So thats no biggy..

Maybe you need to shop around a bit for repairs Jason.

CSMRX7
08-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I have an airbag for him for dirt cheap.. So thats no biggy..

Maybe you need to shop around a bit for repairs Jason.

I still need the passenger air bag which is $$$ and the air bag sensors which are $$$

The prices are for OEM replacements. I am hoping that with some used parts and some aftermarket stuff that I can reduce the price, however if I can't the car won't get fixed :(

Go4Long
08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
it's worth it to keep an FD alive...especially this one...so nice.
And I hope this doesn't deter you from autocross in the future, accidents happen. as much as it sucks right now.

JAYMEZ
08-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Do you seriously need the passenger air bag? 93s dont have them , maybe you can get something from one of those cars.. Air bags fuckin hurt when they go off , im glad i have a momo steering wheel.

CSMRX7
08-17-2005, 05:18 PM
So just got back. I have got to do some thinking.

The airbags and sensors alone are $4368

88CRX
08-17-2005, 11:08 PM

do you NEED to replace those?

JAYMEZ
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Maybe we can take the wireing for airbags outa my car?

CSMRX7
08-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Well I now have sorced the drivers airbag and all the sensors for about 200 cdn. But I still need the passenger side airbag which is $1200. I also need a hood!

Team_Mclaren
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM

holy shit...

like ryan said, is it possible not to replace those?? i mean.. just no airbag?:dunno:

Well I now have sorced the drivers airbag and all the sensors for about 200 cdn. But I still need the passenger side airbag which is $1200. I also need a hood!

CF hood? or something aftermarket?