PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai!

Majestic12
08-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok I'm going to Beijing and Shanghai for a study tour/holiday in a few weeks. I'm only gonna be in Beijing for 2 days, so I'm not really too concerned about things to do there, but I'll be chillin' in Shanghai for a little under two weeks, and I need stuff to do when I'm not in school.

I've never been there, and my mandarin sucks to the point where I may as well not know any.

Anyway, what are some good places to hit up? I'm all in for any of the touristy things to do..historic sites, nitelife, shopping..

Oh, for the shopping deal, I wanna check out some of the giant black market places, just to see what's up there. If I get the chance maybe pick up some 'real' clothing (where if they get an order for say, 1000 suits, they make 1005 and keep the extra for sale on the black market, so they're authentic, just not at the normal prices).

Rockski
08-15-2005, 12:11 AM
oh so lungs and kidneys arent what your looking for?

HoisinSauce
08-15-2005, 12:56 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

girlRACER
08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I thought Shanghai was way overrated and overcrowded. I liked Beijing much better.

In Shanghai there is a Jade Buddha temple surrounded by an antique market and a famous shanghai dumpling place there. It is situated in the Old Town area called Yu Yuan Garden. The last time I was there, the temple was under renovation but it should be done.

You can charter a boat to go along the downtown harbour and visit Zhong Shan Lu, which is a main strip in downtown with old foreign buildings. Across the harbour from Zhong Shan Lu there is a big tower you can go up with different levels...but it is extremely expensive (245rmb?) to get to the top and most of the time the pollution blocks your view.

You can shop at the famous Nanking Road and if you're craving western food there is a Subway there. Nanking Road is kinda expensive.

My favorite place is Xin Tian Di with lots of bars and lounges. Mostly a place for foreigners. There is always some special kind of promotion and entertainment there.

The market I believe you are talking about is called Xiangyang Market. There is an outdoor market and across the street, two indoor markets across the street. I've attached a picture of it.

If you have time in Shanghai, you should take a train (45rmb) to Hanzhou. That is my personal favourite. It is very scenic with a lot of trees and forests and a big lake. A good getaway from all the buildings and concrete.

PS don't worry about not speaking mandarin. You can get by with English in Shanghai but in Hanzhou it is purely mandarin speaking.

sputnik
08-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Majestic12
Oh, for the shopping deal, I wanna check out some of the giant black market places, just to see what's up there. If I get the chance maybe pick up some 'real' clothing (where if they get an order for say, 1000 suits, they make 1005 and keep the extra for sale on the black market, so they're authentic, just not at the normal prices).

Those suits are fake. The "over production explanation" is just a myth so that scammers can sell more fake crap to suckers on eBay.