PDA

View Full Version : Travelling alone?

badMotoFinga
08-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Hey. Anyone have some input on travelling alone to places like Europe or Asia? I was thinkin whether I should go with a friend or just go it alone. Kinda hard to find someone who would want to do the same sheiot at the same time as I would. Although I know lotsa ppl who had gone on long trips alone and they had a blast ... but personally I dont think travelling alone would be that much fun.
Anyone have any feedback on travelling alone in comparison to with other ppl?

K271
08-15-2005, 05:56 AM
There's pros and cons to both. First of all, it's always nice to travel with someone so those memories you make are ones that you have with another. It's definitely easier to have a friend when you are in a foreign country just for a this... taking pictures. Easier to ask your friend then to ask some foreigner. Two people can enjoy the sights together, help one another out. But personally I prefer going it alone. I don't have to worry about some one else and whether want to do the same activity. You may grow old of one another quickly due to the amount of time spent together. Learn each other's habits quickly.

I prefer travelling alone cause I can take my time enjoying the place I visit. I can go at my own pace, walk and discover the city on my own and not be led by another. I like knowing that each day I can discover the city and just get lost.

A good place to visit is Paris or Barcelona. Those excursion tours are highly over rated. They don't give you enough time in one place. You're there for a day, two days and then gone. Almost every city in Europe deserves a full week just so you can get emmersed in the culture and really discover the scenes first hand

FiveFreshFish
08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
You won't believe how many more people you meet traveling alone.

codo
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
speaking of which I've already booked a flight to australia and I'm going alone all up the east coast and am gonna just cruise from hostal to hostal.:hijack:

mac_82
08-15-2005, 01:26 PM
That is the best way to go and meet people. When I was travelling, people travelling in groups, 2-3+ never really went out of their group to meet new people and didn't seem to be having nearly as much fun as everyone else. I went to Thailand alone for a month, and ended up meeting so many great friends it wasn't even funny. You will always find people who have been to where you are going, or are going the same way, so you can always travel with people you meet along the way.

Mr_John
08-15-2005, 02:39 PM
^^^
Friend also went to Thailand for a few months alone and his pictures were all filled with randoms. He met a ton of new people so it doesnt seem too bad to travel alone. Looks more fun actually.
I prefer travelling with 1 other person though. Also easy to meet people with only 1 other.

mac_82
08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Ya I travelled for 5 months with one friend, and spent 1.5 months alone, both have there pros and cons, but either way is fun. Just gotta make sure you are travelling with the right person.

civic_stylez
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by codo
speaking of which I've already booked a flight to australia and I'm going alone all up the east coast and am gonna just cruise from hostal to hostal.:hijack:

a really good friend of mine and a former beyond member (ConVict) has been doing that for the past 5 months and he absolutely loves it..he just packed up and went on his own and said its one of the best things hes ever done.

craigcd
08-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by codo

When are you going?

kaput
08-15-2005, 09:42 PM

hockeybronx
08-15-2005, 11:55 PM
From what I've heard from a couple people travelling alone could be one of the best memories you'll have in life.

You learn a ton about yourself when you aren't in your comfort zone or familiar areas. Also it's quite easy to meet people when you are alone as compared to with one or two other friends.

If you get really sick of being by yourself you can always join tour groups and hang out with them for a couple weeks then go back off by yourself.

Although it's fun to go with friends, going alone tends to be easier as far as picking dates, prices, and activities go.

TheBenzo
08-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Damn, why do I have a girlfriend.. I wanna fly to europe by myself and die in Belgium from chocolate.

codo
08-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

When are you going?

january 12th got my plane ticket booked already.

pints
09-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Go by yourself, it's sooooo much fun. At first it's a bit weird but it's great doing whatever you want and not worrying about someone else. I've met a ton of completely random people at hostels, pubs, etc. You've got to be more aware of what you're doing and your surroundings.