PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid SUVs

Fodera
08-15-2005, 02:58 AM
I just don't enjoy smaller cars...but my wallet doesnt enjoy SUVs....Are these new hybrid SUVs safe to buy?

My only concern really is what if it needs to be repaired...not sure how many companies out there are experienced in repairing hybrids.

djayz
08-15-2005, 04:10 AM
well the dealer who makes it will and should be able to service the vehicle

but seeing as they are still in there first year of manufacturing i would stay away as there may be many flaws...which will lead to recalls or pricey fixes

give it atleast a year more when they become something that everyone is manufacturing not just the odd company here and there

lastprodigy
08-15-2005, 09:01 AM
RX400h

HRD2PLZ
08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
RX400h :werd:

Or, the cheaper alternative to the Lexus RX400h has been out for a little while now, the '06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid :)

rockym20
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Other than the Lexus or Toyota, the SUV hybrids don't really get that much of better gas mileage. Most tests show they don't get nearly as good of fuel economy as stated (you might get an extra 10-15 mpg over the normal model). In fact, other than the Prius or other purpose-built hybrid, hybrids don't make any sense from an economic standpoint. You won't save enough in the cost of gas over the life of the car to offset the additional $4,000+ you have to pay for it (plus interest on that, if you have to finance the car).

bundi
08-15-2005, 12:16 PM
may want to look into Diesels, I think you may want to reconsider your likes/dislikes with gas being at 99.9 :P

Get a Beatle :D

Thaco
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
i heard some research sayiong it takes 8 years worth of gas savings to make a hybrid worth purchasing over a normal gas vehicle, although with the gas prices now, that time span may be decreasing as i heard this like 6 months ago.

Phy
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by bundi

Get a Beatle :D

I hear Ringo's available.

Hybrids are still a relatively new thing, and it's probably going to take them being produced in greater numbers to bring down the extra cost. Economies of scale and all that. In the meantime, the hybrid SUVs probably work best as fleet vehicles, where they're being driven for long distances or large amounts of time.

Aleks
08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
VW Touareg V10 turbo Diesel :drool:
310hp
550tq