PDA

View Full Version : Importing NSX and Supra

eNeRgY
08-15-2005, 05:33 AM
I was looking at the acution sheet in japan and they have alot of nice Nissan for sale like the Nissan skyline for instant, it range from 1989 to 2001 and the silvia too but the funny thing is where the hell is all the Acura NSX and the +93 Toyota Supra go? They don't sell them at the auction in Japan? Even if the Auca(Honda) NSX is a 1991 and it is legal to import them why the don't put them in the auction? Does any one have an answer i don't get it? :dunno:

fingirl
08-15-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm guessing because the Nissan is a lot cooler than the "Auca". I was talking with a member named schurchill, and he told me that only cool people drive Nissans, and everyone else is a loser. Apparently they're so cool because they can "drift" the Nissans and make them go really fast. I've actually considered trading in my minivan for one.

MiG_Master
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by eNeRgY
I was looking at the acution sheet in japan and they have alot of nice Nissan for sale like the Nissan skyline for instant, it range from 1989 to 2001 and the silvia too but the funny thing is where the hell is all the Acura NSX and the +93 Toyota Supra go? They don't sell them at the auction in Japan? Even if the Auca(Honda) NSX is a 1991 and it is legal to import them why the don't put them in the auction? Does any one have an answer i don't get it? :dunno:
They do sell them, but there are less common then the Skyline's and Silvia's. The NSX is especially rare, as it retains it's value very well, and would most likely be sold at a private or broker sale rather than auction.

Lo)2enz0
08-15-2005, 11:49 AM
ya, the nsx holds there value over in japan. Its about $35,000 for a decent one if I remember correctly. Thats if you can even find one thats legal to import.

as for the 93+ supras, they are not to hard to get your hands on, but compaired to the silvia and the skyline well those are everywhere over there so its easier to aquire one

dmtx
08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
compaired to the silvia and the skyline well those are everywhere over there so its easier to aquire one

this is sooo true... when I was there... you'd always see a silvia, skyline, and 300zx.

rockym20
08-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Because the NSX is legal here, you can import any model year of it. It is only those cars which do not meet Canadian safety regulations that you have to wait 15 years before importing.

Lo)2enz0
08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by rockym20
Because the NSX is legal here, you can import any model year of it. It is only those cars which do not meet Canadian safety regulations that you have to wait 15 years before importing.

no, it has to be 15 years to import, even if they were produced here..

schurchill39
08-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by fingirl
I was talking with a member named schurchill, and he told me that only cool people drive Nissans, and everyone else is a loser. Apparently they're so cool because they can "drift" the Nissans and make them go really fast. I've actually considered trading in my minivan for one.

Werd, Thats exactly what i said even though i never spoke or typed anything of that nature.

If you are talking about a 1993+ supra not being on a Japan auction i dont think you have anything to worry over as they are not legal yet here. I am sure once we can get them here in 2 years there will be plenty.

bundi
08-15-2005, 12:24 PM
You can't import newer than 90 right now I believe, as anything newer would be < 15 years old. You can buy NSX's over here that are LHD and legal (even newer ones), they're not very common but they're out there.

NSX's do hold their value though, last time I saw one for sale I believe it was a 92 for like 80K. I dunno if they are a lot more common over in Japan, but in a year or so when you can I guess we'll know for sure.

And Dar is right, Nissans are so much cooler, I mean... who the hell would wanna own an NSX when they could have a skyline... I mean.. it was IN A MOVIE, it MUST be good :rolleyes:

Altezza
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
The early production NSXs were predominantly made for export only. That's why you'll have trouble finding them in Japan. I know people who made a killing shipping NSXs back to Japan and selling them during that time.

Impreza
08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by bundi

NSX's do hold their value though, last time I saw one for sale I believe it was a 92 for like 80K.

Where did you see a '92 for 80k? That is stupidly expensive... Are you sure it was for 80k and not something closer to 35k?

eNeRgY
08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
so what about supra's so theres rarely any supra in japan?

bonnieclyde240
08-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I saw 91 nsx at zr auto the other day, it was around 35K, which is a decent price.

freakin
08-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Check the trader, it looks like early 90's NSX's are in the $35-40K range. Most that I've seen have around 100,000KM on them. Getting a north american LHD NSX might be a cheaper option than importing one. I don't think there are any significant drivetrain differences to warrant the hassle of RHD, or the price and hassle of bringing one over.

On a side note, does anyone know much about the maintenance schedules or reliability on older NSX's? I imagine they'd need the typical timing belt at 100,000KM, but I can't see that being a cheap prospect.

crazydave
08-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by rockym20

not true. if it is coming from japan it has to be 15 years or older i believe because of the gov't wanting to protect our market here or something along those line, i could be totally wrong tho.

MiG_Master
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by crazydave
not true. if it is coming from japan it has to be 15 years or older i believe because of the gov't wanting to protect our market here or something along those line, i could be totally wrong tho.
Bang on.

CryoCarnage
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by eNeRgY
so what about supra's so theres rarely any supra in japan?

lol when i went to japan i saw soo many i fell in love. its like becasue of so much repetition i wanted to own one. But yeah you see ten skylines before you get to see a supra on the road. Not GT-R's, those are different :D. As for the NSX, i could have sworn i saw like at least 12 of em... in the country :guns:

rockym20
08-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Direct from Transport Canada's website:

"The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained. Please contact Transport Canada, Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate, at 1-613-998-8616 for further information."

So, there is a way to import vehicles from Japan for vehicles newer than 15 years, but it might be more work than it is worth to try and get the compliance label.

MiG_Master
08-16-2005, 01:31 AM
The majority of Japanese cars build for the Japanese domestic market don't meet Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the law says they can't be modified to comply. Those very few that do are most likely available here anyways. In the rare case it's compliant and not available here, the Japanese manufacturers will NOT give you a compliance label for import into Canada.