PDA

View Full Version : Customs

jasonl
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Can anybody give me an overview of how claiming works when travelling back into Canada? I'm in England right now and I bought some absinthe to bring back home... but I don't know how to get it back (leave in luggage or whatever)
Thanks in advance for any help

mac_82
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I came home from Thailand with 2 bottles of Sangsom thai whiskey in my bag. I told them it was there, and had no problems bringing it back into the country, didn't have to pay anything either.

jasonl
08-16-2005, 03:46 PM
What if you're under age?? I'm only 17.
Can i just tell them I have nothing to claim??

Gurpy
08-16-2005, 04:04 PM
you can't claim alcohol if you're under 18. You can try not claiming but if you get searched then you might get in a bit of shit.

Ripper
08-16-2005, 04:35 PM
I go through Canadian customs about 20 times a year. If you don't claim it, I wouldn't worry about being caught. They've never asked me more then 3 questions. Just take it on as carry on.

If you do get busted though the potential for trouble is high.

MiG_Master
08-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I've brought home booze from Mexico in my carry-on, wrapped in some socks and then a plastic bag so they didn't break. Didn't declare, wasn't searched.

B17a
08-16-2005, 04:58 PM
You're probably looking at a 95% chance that they ask a couple questions and don't search you, then you're in the clear. But you could be in major shit for that 5% chance that they do. Also, these guys, although they may seem dumb are trained to seek out liars who sweat over simple questions like "are you bringing any alcohol into the country".

ken-gsr
08-16-2005, 05:00 PM
i would just pack it really good and put it in your luggage bag, they wont check that unless its ticking lol
and pray that it wont break

Kobe
08-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by jasonl
Can anybody give me an overview of how claiming works when travelling back into Canada? I'm in England right now and I bought some absinthe to bring back home... but I don't know how to get it back (leave in luggage or whatever)
Thanks in advance for any help

If your 18, dont declare, any smokes or alcohol, you will be searched, if you are traveling alone, there is a good chance you will not be searched...

Put the alcohol between clothes, just incase... Just don't take a ton.. maybe a bottle, 2 if you want to risk it.. Don't take anymore...

Just say "No Sir, or No mam" if they ask...
Its really not that bad man....

dmtx
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't think you'd be searched. You can put that in a gift wrap just incase and tell them that it was a gift for your father and you don't know anything inside. An office mate came from England after a vacation was searched because he didn't declare anything... the thing is he didn't have anything to declare... this happened to him twice..... so declare something, clothes or whatever so that they will not be suspicious...

dmtx
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
^^ BTW, he's really from England and an immigrant here (with Canadian citizenship already).

TheBenzo
08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Are you guys crazy? If you dont claim and you are caught.. you get hardcore ass-rammed.. I would ship it to an address here and claim it on the customs card as sent items. wtf.. you can do time for not claiming shit. At least declare some smokes or something..

K271
08-16-2005, 06:55 PM
never lie when going through customs. If they catch you you're done. You're going to be flagged and everytime you come back they'll search you. You're just putting yourself in a whole world of hurt if you get busted. The thing is you'll never know if you're gonna get searched. Don't believe others about hiding stuff. It's even worse if you don't declare anything and they search you and notice that you tried to hide it! Not exactly the smartest thing to do. Oh and it's just added power to them that you're under age.

Mail it back to Canada, I'm sure you have an older friend in England that can send it back to Canada for you. The long and short of it all is don't lie on that card.

Weapon_R
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Seriously, you'd be dumb to answer "no" when they ask you if you have any alcohol. If they search and find it, you could be flagged for a long, long time. Just declare it, if it gets taken, no big deal, and if you get away with it, consider yourself lucky.

3G
08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dmtx
I don't think you'd be searched. You can put that in a gift wrap just incase and tell them that it was a gift for your father and you don't know anything inside.

"Ugh I dont know whats in there", thats a dumb answer, they will probably rip it open

Originally posted by K271
never lie when going through customs. If they catch you you're done. You're going to be flagged and everytime you come back they'll search you. You're just putting yourself in a whole world of hurt if you get busted. The thing is you'll never know if you're gonna get searched. Don't believe others about hiding stuff. It's even worse if you don't declare anything and they search you and notice that you tried to hide it! Not exactly the smartest thing to do. Oh and it's just added power to them that you're under age.

:werd: I got away with not claiming a carton of smokes, would I try it again? hell no
Mail it back to Canada, I'm sure you have an older friend in England that can send it back to Canada for you. The long and short of it all is don't lie on that card.

Lanks
08-16-2005, 11:02 PM
when I was 17 i came home from a trip to Japan and i had about 6 packs of smokes on me... I just told customs that they were for gifts (as each pack was packaged with a lighter) and they let me go.

I've also heard that they can be dicks... one guy i knew was connecting through YVR for calgary he was 18 at the time and declared some booze he had and they took it saying that he was not legal age in BC even though his flight to calgary left in like an hour

Dollface235
08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
when I was 17 i came home from a trip to Japan and i had about 6 packs of smokes on me... I just told customs that they were for gifts (as each pack was packaged with a lighter) and they let me go.

I've also heard that they can be dicks... one guy i knew was connecting through YVR for calgary he was 18 at the time and declared some booze he had and they took it saying that he was not legal age in BC even though his flight to calgary left in like an hour

ya my friend had a kilo of shisha tobacco, it all got taken away

dmtx
08-17-2005, 05:55 AM
you know what... come to think of it.... mailing it to Canada is the smart way of doing it .... I never thought of that probably because I never had to worry about anything I need to bring back... I am of legal age eversince I travel a lot....

that's the beauty of having different opinions... you get to see all sides.... I know I am on the :devil: side on this....

K271
08-17-2005, 06:12 AM
When I was in HK I bought a bunch of "DVD's and video Games!" the nice pirated stuff, I knew that if I got searched I would loose it all so I just mailed them all back, it only cost me the postage and I shoved each disc into a cheap greeting card.

So what if you got away with it once. Why take such a risk and have a flag beside your name everytime you leave the country. It's so not worth the trouble. Customs is a lot more difficult these days with terrorism. I cross the border every 3 weeks and even though I have a good record, and I declare everything I have been searched periodically. Even if you declare something they just want to check it out so that you're not giving them crap. I bought a beautiful white wool coat for my girlfriend and declared it at $400 and they didn't check yet another time I brought back French Truffles declared them at $50 and they checked. So it's all random.

Do not be stupid and attempt to test fate. You may get away with it once but is it really worth the risks?

dmtx
08-17-2005, 06:22 AM
^^ dude, are you really in NYC??

K271
08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
yes I am in nyc... why have an issue?

dmtx
08-17-2005, 05:11 PM
New York? issue? Nope.... why thought of that??.. it's just good to know that members here are not only from Canada.....

K271
08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
sorry dude! that's my new york attitude coming out!! hahahah anyways, I'm originally from Calgary but moved here 5 years ago

dmtx
08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
I stopped there for 5 minutes and thought if it was something I said... Ei no worries at all....

ken-gsr
08-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by dmtx
I don't think you'd be searched. You can put that in a gift wrap just incase and tell them that it was a gift for your father and you don't know anything inside. An office mate came from England after a vacation was searched because he didn't declare anything... the thing is he didn't have anything to declare... this happened to him twice..... so declare something, clothes or whatever so that they will not be suspicious...

ya that whole gift wrap thing doesnt work... they will make you open it right there (this is if it is carry on). you could however gift wrap it and stick it in your suitecase, but then again if your going to do that, why even wrap it?

dmtx
08-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Well if it's in the luggage and they see it in a gift wrap if they search you... at least you have the excuse not to claim it (not that they will buy it but you have the benefit of the doubt) because you don't know what's inside....

I think it's better than putting it in the luggage unwrapped ....then you don't claim it... then they search you and see the thing...... baaammmmmm.... that's it and they have your claim card that you signed.... I think my idea is still better than just putting it in the luggage... ehhehehe.... f@##@$ it what am I defending? both ways is not the best way to di it...

just mail it... that's the smart way... :thumbsup:

jasonl
08-31-2005, 10:37 PM
I ended up not claiming any tobacco products or the absinthe, and i got searched. but as he was searching i told him i was holding it for my uncle whos luggage was full and he didnt confiscate it or ask any questions. and i wrapped cigarettes and cigars in giftwrap and he didn't ask about that either. I guess i was pretty lucky

dmtx
09-01-2005, 12:51 PM
F!#!#$ you're lucky!! haha but the gift wrap worked!!!

they usually asked you to open it... that was close enough! lucky!!