PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia.....sucks doesn't it?

GucciBoy
08-16-2005, 02:50 AM
Anyone else suffer from this from time to time or on a more daily/weekly basis? Nothing worse than going to work with 2 hours sleep or even better, no sleep period! Then getting tired as the clock approaches noon and you lack any sort of energy when you get home. You are so out of it, you don't care to eat, as you just don't have the energy for it - you just wanna hit the sack. But if you do that in the late or early parts of the evening, it totally fcuks up your sleep schedule for that night into the next morning. Some days you are just not yourself from it. Insomnia sucks...:zzz:

Gurpy
08-16-2005, 02:56 AM
I cant get to sleep until like, 4 or 5 now days......hopefully ill be able to get my sleep schedule back to normal when school starts hahaha

gen2teggy
08-16-2005, 03:00 AM
stay up for 2 nites....then u will be bac kto normal

YCB
08-16-2005, 03:06 AM
2 words..

http://blunt-man420.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/smoke.weed.gif

haha.. or you can try what gen2teggy says.. that may work?

Fluidic
08-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Insomnia is just an over active brain. Be happy you're not like the rest of society whom only use 10% of their brains. :thumbsup:

Oh look, it's almost 4am. Time for bed.

Das_Amaretto
08-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I HATE IT! Had it for as long as i can remember, even as a kid... jus lyin there for 3,4....5hrs b4 i finally fall asleep, then have to wakeup in an hour. ArrGGHhhh.

Still happens, except since I've been partyin' nightly, the drinking helps me fall asleep quickly. that cant be too good now, can it........... first nite off clubbin in over a week, and look@daTIME! bah :banghead: :zzz: :banghead: :confused:

djayz
08-16-2005, 04:03 AM
yah it sucks...my bedtime goes up about 30 minutes everyday...i just wait for the cycle to whip around again so im sleep around 12ish and waking up around noon

/////AMG
08-16-2005, 04:36 AM
Yay some activity when I'm always on Beyond.

It's always dead!

rice_eater
08-16-2005, 04:59 AM
i'm getting paid to stay up :thumbsup:

Tyler883
08-16-2005, 08:22 AM
All I can say is keep trying the home remedies, some of them might work for you:

like a hot shower ( even though getting out of the shower wakes you up, you might find the heat from the shower relaxs your muscles and makes it possible to sleep - might have to wait an hour to get back to sleep)

you could try some reading before bed, or an old movie that you've already seen, something to slow down your thoughts

light exercise a few hours before bed might help

maybe see what else you can google on the topic

you could try here: www.webmd.com

MiG_Master
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't think I have insomina per se, I just know that a few years of a night crew job have enabled me to stay up to the very wee hours with no problem at all. Some days I'll wake up at 8am or so, and stay up until 3-4am. Rinse and repeat for a week or so.

GucciBoy
08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by djayz
yah it sucks...my bedtime goes up about 30 minutes everyday...i just wait for the cycle to whip around again so im sleep around 12ish and waking up around noon

12hrs sleep? hahaha

djayz
08-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

12hrs sleep? hahaha

hah yah...i cant go to sleep but when i fall asleep i sleep for 11-12 hours...i work in the evening to the morning too but i usually get home around 2 or 3am...but i cant fall asleep until like 5 or 6

Gurpy
08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
heh, i'm going to vancouver with my family, so im gonna mess it up even more....stay up all night then sleep in the car...then try and sleep again when I get there at night...lmao.

GucciBoy
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by djayz

hah yah...i cant go to sleep but when i fall asleep i sleep for 11-12 hours...i work in the evening to the morning too but i usually get home around 2 or 3am...but i cant fall asleep until like 5 or 6

Ya I hate this, cause the following night i wont be able to sleep because i overslept lol. its a lose lose situation :zzz:

Carfanman
08-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Sometimes It helps me if I just right down everything on my mind and just keep writing. I can usually fill up three or four pages in 10 minutes and I've gotten everything off my mind. Write down whats bothering you, whats making you happy, ect... everything you've been thinking about, even if it takes a half hour, at least your not spending 2 or 3 hours lying down wide awake. and since most of your thoughts will be ones that you have over and over, even if it takes a long time to write them the first time, the next time you can just write the new things that are on your mind and youll take less time. And for me, since I have no reason to keep a diary or a journal or whatever you want to call it, I just rip up the pages and throw them out.

You can try taking a hot, hot, hot, shower or bath (slowly raise the heat as you get used to it, so that its not to hot when you get in or to cold when you get out).
I also read that putting half a cup of Epsom salts and the same amount of baking soda will give you the benefits of magnesium (from the salt) absorbed through the skin and the alkaline balancing affects of the baking soda, both of which help you sleep better.

Before bed get a massage if you can (from a GF, or if you can afford it, a hot professional, or even a massage chair or pad). This obviously relaxes you.

Heating pad on your solar plexus raises your core temp, and creates the proper sleep chemistry.

Dont use sedatives, they only help short term and create dependance.

Take a calcium supplement an hour before bed, and/or have some warm milk.

Do some stretching right before bed, but no exercise.

Get at least 20 min of direct sunlight a day.

Only use your bed for sleep and sex, so that your body doesnt associate it with stimulating things (yes I know sex is stimulating, but I mean like watching TV or something that creates a conditioned response of wakefullness)

If you wake up, walk away until your tired again

Make it as dark as possible in your room when your trying to go to sleep as well as when your sleeping

Maybe its your bed, try out the tempurpedic bed for a free trial, see if it helps.

Avoid the bottle or caffiene for a while before you go to bed.

Try taking a melatonin (What your body produces to make you tired) supplement.

Eat no later than three hours before bed.

Maintain as much of a regular sleep schedule of 8 or more hours if you can.

Note: I got these tips from various resourses I didnt invent them, I dont know if posting it on an internet forum in my own words can be considered plagiarism, but just in case, this is my disclaimer.

craigcd
08-18-2005, 12:06 AM
The best way i have found to get a better sleeping schedule is first of all exercise. When im in the between season with soccer i always have crappy sleeps. Im usually at the gym 4 nights/days a week this also helps.

Keep your bed seperate from other activities. For example dont watch TV in bed.

What i found works really nice is buy decaf green tea. I usually use this more in the winter. Take time befor bed to just sit and slowly drink, calms the nerves slows the day down, helps me sleep always.

Dont eat 2-3 hours befor bed. Some times its hard to avoid, if thats the case have a small light snack.

In the summer i have a fan going when i sleep and in the winter the furnace. Helps drownout the noises in a house. Some people like this some people dont, i cant sleep with 100% quiete.

Craig

JAYMEZ
08-18-2005, 01:14 AM
Hrmmm

Eat a well made meal , have some sex , play some video games , fall asleep . Done and done:dunno:

GucciBoy
08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
today was the best :rolleyes:

Didnt fall asleep till 530am this morning, got a grand total of 1hr sleep, worked for 7 hours, was about to call it a day by about noon, come home at 4, sleep 2.5hours and now 1:24am I'm wide awake.

Carfanman
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
You should have prevented yourself from sleeping for those 2.5 hours, and then by 11:00 or 12:00 youd be able to fall asleep easily. Also, force yourself up at lets say, 7:00 or whatever time you need to get up to have enough time to get ready for work at a comfortable pace, and then when your tired later, dong go to bed until it will be 8 and a half hours before whatever time you decided would be best to get up.

Example:

tommorow,

get up at 7:00 no matter how freaking tired you are

Do some activity during the day at least at a moderate level, (sports, gym, whatever)
dont sleep at all in the afternoon
Go to bed at 10:30

I know thats a bit early, just try it tonight, By going to bed at 10:30 you can tell how much sleep you need. You may find that by 7:00 the next day your perfect which means that as early as it is 10:30 is a great time to go to bed, or maybe you will be able to get up at six, and then you know that you can start going to bed an hour later.

Then get up at 7:00 again.

Adjust the times to whatever time you need to get up, but make sure your going to bed 8 and a half hours before you get up, and from there figure out how much sleep you need.

lastprodigy
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
if you were straight id tell you to beat a couple times and fall right to sleep but since your gay i dont think itll work for you .... :confused:

DelSoln
08-18-2005, 02:13 PM
It's great for protecting your car in crappy neighborhoods.

DannyO
08-18-2005, 09:00 PM
I think I got it, and if I do I think its self inflicted, I don't like sleeping, well I do, but I think its a waste, we only have one life so most the time if I got nothing to do at night, I read about things until around 3-4 in the morning, and thats with getting up at 5:40am at the moment for work, I only sleep about 3-4 hours normally and have a half hour power nap during the day sometime, and I'm good for working warehouse shit for 8 hours, like all this week I been sleeping 3 hours a night, except sunday night when I only could sleep about half an hour, and then I go lift 70lb boxes around all day, I feel dead tired when I stop moving, but I end up becoming awake again and not sleeping, but I like it this way, I only hate it during the first few hours of gettin up as I hate mornings, after that I'm good to go.

When I was 14 upto about 17, I didn't sleep most weekends.

snowboard
08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
to lazy to read all that, just got sleeping pills yesterday from the doctor, they work great they were made for anti-depression but they work better as sleeping pills haha

creeper
08-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Take two extra stength Nytol's two hours before you want to go to sleep!

Available for under $10 at Safeway, Co-op, and more.

Fun for the whole family!

GucciBoy
08-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman
You should have prevented yourself from sleeping for those 2.5 hours, and then by 11:00 or 12:00 youd be able to fall asleep easily.

I agree, but trust me its so hard when I come home and dont even have the energy to eat. No way I could stay up another 6-7hours.

I have had a grand total of 3hours sleep in the last 2 days. Last night I slept that 2.5, well guess what I couldnt sleep till 540pm today once I got home. I was able to get away with almost 6hrs earlier tonight, and right now 3am, again Im wide awake! grr. What is with this week for me? :(I was fallin asleep at around 1pm today, no energy, wasnt myself...couldnt even walk and keep my head up - even nearly rolled down the escalator this afternoon at work.

GucciBoy
08-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by creeper
Take two extra stength Nytol's two hours before you want to go to sleep!

Available for under $10 at Safeway, Co-op, and more.

Fun for the whole family!

thx:)

Carfanman
08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
if you were straight id tell you to beat a couple times and fall right to sleep but since your gay i dont think itll work for you .... :confused:

First of all that was a lame diss, and second of all, it didn't make sense! You think gay guys dont have any sex drive, or that stimulating the cock doesnt turn them on?

Official Hoser
08-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I also have sleeping problems. Nytol (or other sleeping pills - most of them have the active ingredient Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride so it's all the same stuff) works great. I only take 1/4 or 1/2 the pill, and then I'm not as drowsy the next day. So I suggest getting the solid vs. the gel pills.

I have also used Valerian in the past. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But it REALLY stinks.

Davetronz
08-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Fuckkkkk, I cant sleep tonight.... Only happened like twice in the last year... Sleeping fine, then wake up at 3:00 WIDE AWAKE

googe
08-25-2005, 04:56 AM
zopiclone works well, dunno about long term use though
its prescription

(haha, as i post in a thread about insomnia at 5am)

rufwon
08-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Adavan.... works wonders, its a anti-anxiety pill, but when you stop your mind from thinking, you can sleep very well.

Carfanman
08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Fuckkkkk, I cant sleep tonight.... Only happened like twice in the last year... Sleeping fine, then wake up at 3:00 WIDE AWAKE

When you wake up during the night, rather than lay in bed, get up, walk around your house, take a piss if you have to, then go back to bed.

~Leah~
08-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I also have big time sleeping problems, and I'll tell you right now, it's the naps during the day that kill you at night.

PeDe
08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey!
Sorry this may be off topic but I dont want to post a whole new thread for this..
Does anyone else keep like a dream log? I started doing it like 3 years ago, its a book with a whole lot of paper in and when I get up in the morning or when I wake up from a horrible dream, I write it down.....I write every detail I can when I wake up even if it doesnt make sence, just words and images that I remember. I dont know why I do it but now I have liek 500+ pages of my sleeping brain.. lol I dont know am I just weird!!?

Dont post cause its totaly off topic.. Pm me!
:D

Davetronz
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman

When you wake up during the night, rather than lay in bed, get up, walk around your house, take a piss if you have to, then go back to bed.
Yea I do the above then come back and lay in bed and cruise forums on my PDA...