PDA

View Full Version : 15yo car has arrived now what?

Sonic Racing
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Im new to these forums so take it easy on me.

My dad has imported himself a 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SEL from Japan, under the 15 year old rule, the car arrived in July, and we have had it for over a month, We have the form 1 for it but haven't recieved the form 2 yet? How long does this take to arrive?

We have tried to get hold of transport canada but have had no luck, is there any one else we can talk to?

What is the process once the car has arrived, I have tried to search the forums but haven't had much luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

James

finboy
08-16-2005, 02:13 PM
maybe talk to import concern about the details? :dunno:

Sonic Racing
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Cool, will look them up, but there seems to be quite a few people round these forums that have imported there own cars?

I think Dad is happy to pay someone for there knowledge, he's getting frustrated not being able to drive it!!

The Rider
08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
From www.importconcern.ca
Customs provides a Vehicle Import Form for registering your vehicle when it is cleared. Once you have passed your province or territory's requirements for bringing in an out-of-province vehicle, you must submit the Vehicle Import Form to your registrations office to register the vehicle for the first time. This is the only difference in registering your imported vehicle, it should not cost more than a regular registeration. Be sure to contact your registries office to find out what the out-of-province requirements are for your province or territory before importing.

Is this the form you're missing? As far as I know Transport Canada has nothing to do with it. My understanding was that after 15 years it's handled by Canada Customs rather than Transport, and that's sort of why you can bring in pretty much anything once it's older than 15 years. Maybe try contacting customs. Or as previously mentioned, Import Concern should be more knowledgable on this.

civicrider187
08-16-2005, 04:07 PM
(780) 908-7306 ask for William

He can tell you the whole process in detail

mx73someday
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Form 2 is for imports from the US, you don't get one for imports from countries other than the US. 15 year old import from Japan = Form 1 only.

Sonic Racing
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
So basically we take the car down to the local garage and get it inspected?

Don't tell me it's that easy...

finboy
08-16-2005, 06:50 PM
out of province inspection

SteveMo600
08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by civicrider187
(780) 908-7306 ask for William

He can tell you the whole process in detail

Will is extremely helpful and will answer any question you may have. If anybody has any other question about JDM importing he would be more than happy to help you out as he has answered numerous questions for me. Very solid guy.

Originally posted by Sonic Racing
So basically we take the car down to the local garage and get it inspected?

Don't tell me it's that easy...

It's pretty much that easy. Hopefully the car passes the inspection and that car can hit the road.

Neil4Speed
08-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Racing
Cool, will look them up, but there seems to be quite a few people round these forums that have imported there own cars?

I think Dad is happy to pay someone for there knowledge, he's getting frustrated not being able to drive it!!

Just out of curiousity, why did your dad decide to get a 560SEL from Japan. I find that they are pretty reasonably priced here in Calgary with the raising fuel costs etc.

Sonic Racing
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Beats me!! You know what old men get like it's a car he has always wanted, and one came up for the right money, and he felt like doing something different (i.e importing) First I knew of it was when it turned up in the driveway...

James

Xtrema
08-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Just out of curiousity, why did your dad decide to get a 560SEL from Japan. I find that they are pretty reasonably priced here in Calgary with the raising fuel costs etc.

May be he like to use the RHD drive thru window @ Peters.

:D

Sonic Racing
08-17-2005, 02:10 AM
It's LHD..

RHD would have been fun for him!!

ZorroAMG
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, so lemme get this straight, he bought a LHD 560 SEL sight unseen FROM JAPAN, just for fun? They are cheap and common here.....talk about a midlife crisis......

VIP_style
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Ok, so lemme get this straight, he bought a LHD 560 SEL sight unseen FROM JAPAN, just for fun? They are cheap and common here.....talk about a midlife crisis......
Mabey be imported it because it will have lower KMS, better paint, and is probably still cheaper.

BubbaSTi
08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you don't really want a car of that age from Calgary. If it has seen at least 3 winters on the road the bottom of it is probably in shizer condition

Xtrema
08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi
Yeah, you don't really want a car of that age from Calgary. If it has seen at least 3 winters on the road the bottom of it is probably in shizer condition

I don't think the humid Japanese winters would be kind to it either.

Unless it comes with a Japanese girl in schoolgirl outfit, I don't see why one should import a German car from Japan.

lastprodigy
08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I don't think the humid Japanese winters would be kind to it either.

true, but not as harsh...and less kms.....not my opinion but an understandable reason ..

Sonic Racing
08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
For the exact reasons above, it's only done 118,000k's not one spot of rust and is immaculate, compared to all that he saw here it's far superior.