PDA

View Full Version : Gas finally hits 3 digits...103.9c

Pages : [1] 2

Godfuader
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Did everyone else see this today...Now i think im happy that MRC has the mandatory bus pass. :cry:

finboy
08-16-2005, 08:52 PM
where was this?

Ben
08-16-2005, 08:53 PM
http://www.calgarygasprices.com/

JAYMEZ
08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I filled at 109 today , ugh.

mac_82
08-16-2005, 09:09 PM
luckily i filled with premium yesterday. it is brutal how prices jump 4-5 cents in one day. :thumbsdow :dunno:

tictactoe2004
08-16-2005, 09:11 PM
yeah, no shit... i just paid $60.00 to fill my fucking GTI :eek:

fucking rediculous

Mckenzie
08-16-2005, 09:20 PM
This is getting out of hand...

Try living in T Dot though. The prices fluctuate hourly and you end up feeling ripped off when you drive by the same gas station and the price goes down. We are lucky here in that prices can stay within reason of each other and will stay like that for a while.

Fluidic
08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Fuck this. I'm converting the S4 to LPG! :P

Skyline_Addict
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
yeah. payed 1.09 today...

Godfuader
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Try living in T Dot though. The prices fluctuate hourly and you end up feeling ripped off when you drive by the same gas station and the price goes down. We are lucky here in that prices can stay within reason of each other and will stay like that for a while.

Man, I was in Vancouver last week. Prices there were ranging from 79.9 - 108.9 within hours:eek: Neighbouring gas stations have like 10c differences. Prices go lower at night time too. It was just weird. I like that kind of fluctuating cuz if you want to save money, you can by investigating a little bit .

Neil4Speed
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I bet those guys with the TDI's are having a good time right now.

sxtasy
08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
my hungry 6.0L takes $90 to fill and gets 450km to tank:cry:
ouch

BokCh0y
08-16-2005, 10:34 PM
man i am paying like $1.23\L premium here in Vancouver.

Idratherbsidewayz
08-16-2005, 10:43 PM
When I went to invermere, filled up with 119.9 premium. Diesel over there was 96.8... :eek:

benyl
08-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I think that I am going to buy a smart car...

Neil4Speed
08-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Just a note, I was just checking calgarygasprices.com

All of the highest gas prices in the city are in the Northwest? any ideas why?

Godfuader
08-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

The site is from individuals posting prices, so probably one guy in the NW jots prices on his way home from work. Wonder if any places will still have 98c tomorrow? Yuck....98c/litre sounds like a deal :thumbsdow

hockeybronx
08-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah it's really fluctuating all over the place. In Shawnessy I saw two stations at 94.9 for regular.

ecstasy_civic
08-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
man i am paying like $1.23\L premium here in Vancouver.

:werd:

Filled up my dads TL type S today in Vancouver, $1.26L

Last night, drove down the hill to get an ice cream sandwich (damn cravings) Petro was 99.9 15 min later on the way up Petro was 1.13L for REGULAR lol

fuckin nuts.
Id love to sit outside a gas station with a video camera and film how many times the price changes in an hr.

nismodrifter
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I bet those guys with the TDI's are having a good time right now.

mWHHAAHhAHAHAHA :D :devil:

Filled up yesterday at 78.5 for $35 dolla. I hope it doesn't cost more than this at next fillup................which will be in a couple weeks MWHAHAAHAHHAHAHAH :D

MWAHHHHA

Altezza
08-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I was in TO a couple weeks ago. Gas was cheaper there than in Calgary :(

t-im
08-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

Filled up my dads TL type S today in Vancouver, $1.26L

Last night, drove down the hill to get an ice cream sandwich (damn cravings) Petro was 99.9 15 min later on the way up Petro was 1.13L for REGULAR lol

fuckin nuts.
Id love to sit outside a gas station with a video camera and film how many times the price changes in an hr.

What i've noticed in Vancouver is each area will change first, and usually takes time to spread to other stations..so if prices in Westside go up, usually Richmond won't go up for a little bit...and hey, can't beat mandatory full service at self service prices!

TheBenzo
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Wow, what type of public conditioning is going on here... we will think 80-90 cents is a deal? Shit.

Velox
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
just shaking my head when i go to pay. 1.09/L :(

Super_Geo
08-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Peak oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil) :(

TegLover
08-17-2005, 01:59 AM
I laugh at people who buy big gas guzzling trucks to "drive", feel sorry for those who has to have one for work.

djayz
08-17-2005, 03:29 AM
who needs gas when you can ride your bike to work?
haha jokes
it does suck when you go to fill up a CIVIC and it costs you more than $45

duffspec
08-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Shoot me!!! Mofuggin ass clowns. I am going to run/walk from now on, now that i think about it that is $320 a month for me. :bullshit: :guns: :whipped: :barf: :banghead: :cry: man there isn't enough smilies for what i'm feeling.

sputnik
08-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by duffspec
Shoot me!!! Mofuggin ass clowns. I am going to run/walk from now on, now that i think about it that is $320 a month for me. :bullshit: :guns: :whipped: :barf: :banghead: :cry: man there isn't enough smilies for what i'm feeling.

How is this anyone elses fault other than your own?

I really cant stand people who complain about gas prices when in the end there are always better alternatives out there. If you want to drive a car that isnt as fuel efficient as others be prepared to pay more.... period. [/rant]

QuasarCav
08-17-2005, 08:30 AM
When is the breaking point?

When will gas prices start to affect you daily activities?

civic_stylez
08-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
When is the breaking point?

When will gas prices start to affect you daily activities?

i just think im going to stop going to work to save gas...."sorry boss, i can t make it cause i cant afford to put gas in my car"...:D

/////AMG
08-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Stop whining!

Tyler883
08-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Yikes! it costed me $10.17 to fill my motorcycle, I can remember $5-6 fill ups just last year. and 2-3 dollar fill ups around 1999.

Phy
08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the 21st century.

:bullshit:

b_t
08-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Peak oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil) :(

what a fuckin joke.
The oil sands will get us through the next 20 years. CNRL is only developing 1/3rd of their lease land and that will still produce 232,000 barrels of oil a day.

Phy
08-17-2005, 09:20 AM
232, 000 barrels of oil per day.

Yeah, that'll make a difference. (http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_market_basics/Dem_image_Consumption.htm)

There may be incredible amounts of oil locked away in the tar sands. But if it can't be produced quickly enough to match demand, it doesn't solve the problem. Even if it did, it's still only a temporary solution. A finite resource cannot last forever - only a long time at best. Sooner or later we have to deal with the consequences.

max_boost
08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Ahh.....oh well, time to move along. I'll worry when it gets to $2-3/liter :nut:

JiggaMan
08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Just a quick question.. about how much extra $$ would you be looking at to fill your car if the gas price was at .95 as compared to 1.00???

k_dawg
08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I think that I am going to buy a smart car...

Beyond group buy on smart cars maybe? :dunno: lol

Ya this is getting out of hand just filled up at 1.03 today, I just hope it doesn't go up anymore or else I'm gonna make good use of the bus pass at school lol.

Phy
08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
For a 40 L fill, about $2.

The problem is the trend. Three months ago, prices were at .83. For a 40L fill, that's a $6 increase. Six months ago it was at .79. $8 increase. A year ago, .75. $10 increase.

How many times do you fill up in a month?

sputnik
08-17-2005, 09:47 AM
http://www.petrocanada.ca/eng/images/2005taxdecal.jpg

camaro
08-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Fucking bullshit. I'm not going to drive anymore. :thumbsdow

natejj
08-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Glad we sold the minivan and bought a honda :)

benyl
08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
The government needs to suck it up and take some of the fucking taxes off fuel.

They need to quit jetsetting around the world in their private jets for $120,000 a trip on the backs of tax payers... FUCK!

pr0
08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
This is ridiculous. What a great time to boost your n/a car :(

Xtrema
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
The problem with oil sand is, by the time we get to the bottom, oil is probably out of style much like coal is today.

But enjoy all the black gold $$$ while it lasts.

Xtrema
08-17-2005, 10:30 AM

They need to quit jetsetting around the world in their private jets for $120,000 a trip on the backs of tax payers... FUCK!

Easier said than done. With margin being so thin, what guarantee is there that once government ease off, companies won't pick up the slack for more profits?

Government should have mandate that all gas revenue return to taxpayers in the form of infrastructure upgrades or fuel conservation initiatives like credits for hybrid cars.

b_t
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by pr0
This is ridiculous. What a great time to boost your n/a car :(

no kidding :D
Everyone is complaing about 103.9, I had to put gas in at 113.9 this morning. $10 was like an eight of a tank.

BTW, Xtreme, you have the coolest sig I have ever seen.

ecstasy_civic
08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
I just drove down to get a coffee (vancouver) 98.4!!!!

drove up the hill...............108.9 LOL

fuck I hate this place:cry:

Messes with your mind:banghead:

Ben
08-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I need my car to get to work, my car needs fuel, premium fuel at that. I enjoy the luxury of owning my vehicle, and my enjoyment I get out of it, outweighs the cost to run it.

Simple formulae.

What is your car worth to you?

I'm pretty sure my next vehicle will be even less fuel efficient, such is life. Do I enjoy paying high gas prices? No, of course not, especially seeing as how I think the government could back off the taxing of it, christ, yet another multi billion dollar surplus for then to squander and blow irresponsibly anyways. But thems the brakes. Its costing me around 20 bucks more per month now than it did in the winter, not that big of a deal really. Something we gotta get used to tho, because I think the days of 69.9 for premium are just a lucid pipe dream now.

KLCC
08-17-2005, 11:02 AM
it the raw crude price stay up and pass 70 a barrel, then be ready to pay 1.20 or more per litre.
:guns:

kenny
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Its kinda nice that gas prices are this high. Hopefully more people switch to public transit to free up the roads. Less traffic is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Ben
08-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Its kinda nice that gas prices are this high. Hopefully more people switch to public transit to free up the roads. Less traffic is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Too bad transit in this city is a joke.

They want more people to use it in order to get into the downtown core? yeah, RIGHT, if you're in the south, have fun. train leaves somerset, and it's full by the time it gets to Anderson. 4-5 train wait sometimes in the morning.

That and who wants to leave their vehicle at the LRT theft lot. THe busses are a joke too, poor schedualing andf route design. Takes 2 hours to get downtown from McKenzie Lake. during off peak times, during peak times you're lucky to get a seat. Always makes you warm and fuzzy inside seeing a steamy busload of people drive by you in -30 weather because its full.

Nice work Al Deuer, fuckin jerkoff, nice infrastructure and roadway planning champ. Bronco's busting his ass to make up for 20 years of poor decisions, and now what do we have? traffic construction jams all over now because of it.

camaro
08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I remember trying to get onto the train at Southland station 7:30am everyday. Nightmare. This was like 2 years ago as well, I can't even imagine it now since the population has grown a tad.

three33
08-17-2005, 12:16 PM
121.4 in Golden, B.C last week

duffspec
08-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

How is this anyone elses fault other than your own?

I really cant stand people who complain about gas prices when in the end there are always better alternatives out there. If you want to drive a car that isnt as fuel efficient as others be prepared to pay more.... period. [/rant]

How is my four cylinder isn't more fuel efficient enough is beyond me? I would like to know in all your glory and wisdom how to change this? Should I swap my motor for a 3 cyl one from a sprint? Sould i sell my four cyl ride for another four cyl ride?Since your so cool with the petrol prices, I guess you wouldn't mind buying a tank for your fellow beyond members.

I know you choose the vehichle but, as the price continues to increase even driving diesel powered cars are going to be out of hand. Yes, everyone her is going to mad because nobody like to pay more for something that was cheaper 3 months earlier.:D

In all reality I will be seriously thinking about alternatives but, what's going to stop increases in bus fare or transit services? I the end the country's and government control pricing. You can still drive the most fuel efficient cars and still be ripped off.

sputnik
08-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ben

They want more people to use it in order to get into the downtown core? yeah, RIGHT, if you're in the south, have fun. train leaves somerset, and it's full by the time it gets to Anderson. 4-5 train wait sometimes in the morning.

That and who wants to leave their vehicle at the LRT theft lot. THe busses are a joke too, poor schedualing andf route design. Takes 2 hours to get downtown from McKenzie Lake. during off peak times, during peak times you're lucky to get a seat. Always makes you warm and fuzzy inside seeing a steamy busload of people drive by you in -30 weather because its full.

Nice work Al Deuer, fuckin jerkoff, nice infrastructure and roadway planning champ. Bronco's busting his ass to make up for 20 years of poor decisions, and now what do we have? traffic construction jams all over now because of it.

Being from McTowne I know your pain. Fortunately I start work at 7am and for me the CTrain actually works quite well.

I generally leave my house at 6:15am and it takes 15 minutes to drive to the 39th Ave station (Deerfoot->Southland->Blackfoot). I am usually one of the first 20 vehicles in the parking lot and I can sit and wait in my car for the train to arrive.

Luckily that is the time when most of the trains come out of Heritage heading to the NE and NW so there is a train every 3 minutes and every second one is almost empty. Takes 7 minutes to get downtown and 5 minutes to walk to my building.

Fortunately I also leave work before 4 and because I am parked at 39th Ave, I dont have to spoon with strangers for terribly long.

If I worked 9-5 I think I would come close to slitting my wrists every day. What Bronco should do is take the billion infrastructure and put a good chunk of it into developing the SE CTrain line. There are so many people living in the South Deerfoot area that it would be VERY popular and lessen the load on Deerfoot. They always talk about Deerfoot being too narrow, but that is really only for a few hours (rush hour) each day, the rest of the time traffic flows easily and with lots of room to move around. If there was a SE route I would be more than willing to pay a premium to use it even if it was $100-150/month and I am sure many others would too.

RiCE-DaDDy
08-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben

calgary in itself is a bitch to design a public transit for. the city is a huge waste of space with long big roads. its more like big freakin suburb than a city. but yes the transit sucks here.

kenny
08-17-2005, 02:21 PM
If you need to get on at Anderson and the train is full, just hop on the train going the other way. I used to do that when I went to University just so I can get a seat (so I can sleep) :D

Rav4Guy
08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
If everyone whines about how gas prices are so high.. why are people driving everyday? because its convenient? well.. pay for it. I know lots of people that pay for 60-80L a week and don't complain at all.

If the price of driving really hurts your bank account that much... sell your car and start riding a bike.

Prices fluctuate all the time... and yes.. expect prices to be $2/L in the near future. Its not always the companies that make it so we all pay $1/L, its also the government who puts taxes and levies on the gasoline.

Two things are for certain in life; death and taxes.

shaggster
08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
EVERYONE FILL YOUR GAS UP.
THE PRICES FOR GAS IS GOING UP TO 1.30 CENTS PER LITER.

QuasarCav
08-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
If everyone whines about how gas prices are so high.. why are people driving everyday? because its convenient? well.. pay for it. I know lots of people that pay for 60-80L a week and don't complain at all.

Sweet, they can put 40L a week in my tank and not complain about it.

The fact is that some people HAVE to drive, as already discussed transit is not an option for everyone and you need to be at work to make money. Complaning is just a fact of life. If gas dropped down to 18c a litre people would be complaining because their stocks are down and the gov't will over tax everything else.

Hmmmm, Sit on the bus for 2hrs each way for $2 a trip or get to work in 15min for $1.50 a trip.

camaro
08-17-2005, 02:30 PM
We'll probably just end up getting used to the raising gas prices.

Kobe
08-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Phy
For a 40 L fill, about $2.

The problem is the trend. Three months ago, prices were at .83. For a 40L fill, that's a $6 increase. Six months ago it was at .79. $8 increase. A year ago, .75. $10 increase.

How many times do you fill up in a month?

Ughhh about 4 or 5 times a month :banghead: sometimes more....

In the winter about 9 times, go to the mountains alot.. :banghead:

kenny
08-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Very easy to solve the problem of rising gas prices.

Of the bunch that are bitching about rising gas prices because you have no choice but to drive to get to work, how many of you guys buy bottled water for $2 - 3 / L? Start drinking tap water and with the money you save, use it to buy gas. :thumbsup:

sputnik
08-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Remember kids, if gas prices are really low. That usually means that oil is cheap. Which means that Alberta is making less money. Which can in turn could cause economic problems for us all.

Altezza
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Of the bunch that are bitching about rising gas prices because you have no choice but to drive to get to work, how many of you guys buy bottled water for $2 - 3 / L? Start drinking tap water and with the money you save, use it to buy gas. :thumbsup:

Hmm...new idea: How about putting gasoline into bottles and selling them for $3/L? :rofl:

Ben
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
I dont miss working downtown whatsoever. (if I had to miss something it was the fuckin' hawt business women that instincktivly flocked to Bow Valley Square concourse "like the salmon of Capastrano".) For young people that think working in an office tower is a sign of success.. the novelty wears off fast. The homeless bums, the brutal crowds and traffic, and cirtainly not least, the forking out of $500+ a month in parking and fuel part, christ, thats some peoples rent/mortgage payments, and at least they get a toilet out of the deal, all I got was a random patch of oily asphault and door dings. Now of course if you're a baller and the company provides you a stall, then take no heed in my above comment, haha.

I dont really care that fuel prices are the way they are, one would be naive to think otherwise, however I'm selective in my routes that I take. Errands are done in a loop fashion, and I end up making larger infrequent trips than frequent smaller trips.

I just wish wages went up as fast as inflation did. Most people see a small annual raise...fuel seems to get one daily.

sputnik
08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

Hmm...new idea: How about putting gasoline into bottles and selling them for $3/L? :rofl:

And call it "Grey Goose Gas"

nismodrifter
08-17-2005, 02:44 PM

^:werd: x100!!!! Some people man....got to have their Starbucks+Bottled water every day and complain about a couple bucks extra cost to fill up. :guns:

paramedic
08-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Rich bitches live in the NW.

HRD2PLZ
08-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Some people man....got to have their Starbucks+Bottled water every day and complain about a couple bucks extra cost to fill up. :guns:

Then there is some people who have their Starbucks and bottled water and never complain about gas prices.
I mean, yeah, it kinda sucks that gas has gone up so much (when I started driving it was .469/L) but thats life and part of the costs of running a vehicle :dunno:
And yes, it really is too bad the transit system here is so poor, otherwise quite a few more people would be able to park their vehicles and utilize public transportation.

KleanCord
08-17-2005, 02:52 PM

I can't believe you just reminded me of that. Man our Governer Generals are useless along with at least 50% of all the other politicians.

KleanCord
08-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I love when I go home form work (5th street) and the Whitehorn train passes me. It has no one on it, I am thinking oh good I will get a seat going to Somerset. No such luck, the thing is a zoo at 4:35. By the time it leaves downtown it is packed so much that people can't even fit in at Erlton, or Victoria Park. The pressure isn't relieved until Anderson.

I don't like arguing about politics but as bad a job as Deuer did on infrastructure I think good old Dave is worse in just about everyway imaginable.

asuth077
08-17-2005, 03:32 PM
It's pretty damn bad....but I am not going to stop driving anytime soon. I hear prices are suppose to drop a bit in the winter when the travel demand drops. And it could be worse, in England they average around $2.

I think the feds should lower the tax a bit just to adjust for a while. I also saw on the news last night that if oil and natural gas prices average what they have been Alberta will make 3.8 billion extra dollars this year, thats ontop of the profit they were already expecting. I think it is time for a nice cheque from King Ralph.

koopkoop2
08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
http://www.petrocanada.ca/eng/images/2005taxdecal.jpg

There's alot of creative math that goes into those labels. If you haven't noticed, it's also produced by the oil companies themselves.

Check out the graph for Encana. Every other oil company looks like this too. The "slim- profits" notion is pure B.S.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ECA.TO&t=1y

euro_racer
08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
just picked up a 04 jetta tdi LOL filled up today at aprox 0.75:poosie: and my integra for 104.9:banghead:

Tyler883
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
only 85.4 at several gas stations that I drove by today

robpark
08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Gas prices may seem high, but if you see what they pay in Europe....... OUCH! In all honesty, high prices would not be such a "problem" if there was a sufficient public transit network in place. Why don't you see Europeans complaining all the time about $2.50-$3 a litre? Their train/transit systems are amazing. If I lived in London or Paris, I would not want to drive...far less efficient. Perhaps if the city reinvested its share of the gas tax in building new train lines and densifying areas immediately surrounding the stations we would see a more....fruitful....transit network. One that could subsidise itself..... Bronconnier is just as bad as Duerr, if not..worse. Sure he is rendering this city into a maze of barren desolate roads, that in 20 years time will need widening and have relentless maintenance costs....sorry, where is the benefit? If the city keeps building road after road, interchange after interchange and procrastinates on building even a serviceable train network, you can watch your property taxes rise with the cost of gas.

Funny how, if you look at Bronco's list of "donors," the biggest donors are paving/road companies, right along side big developers who get rich perpetuating low density suburban sprawl, while homeowners all over the city sibsidise its construction with ever inflating property taxes.

I could go on about this to no end....

SuPhistiKatEd
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
As Mr. T said "In the Year 2000" on Conan..

"Gas prices will get so high, the'll start hanging out with Snoop Dogg."

I'm glad I have my U-Pass.

robpark
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
No kidding...PRAISE THE U PASS!

My car is nicer but the train is cheaper.... kind of like having a hooker instead of a money sucking girlfriend, you still get where you are going but you sacrifice the quality of ride.

Rav4Guy
08-17-2005, 11:38 PM
gas prices are 1.20euros a L... so 1.80cdn/L....

and you really think their train systems in london and paris are that efficient? haha.. try going to Hong Kong. now that is what I call efficient.

sputnik
08-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883
only 85.4 at several gas stations that I drove by today

Where?

b_t
08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
People are complaining about the sprawl of Calgary? fuck that, that's why I like Calgary

QuasarCav
08-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Where?

Mostly SE, I've seen a few in acadia.

Ben
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
CHeapest advertized fuel in the city appears to be 92cents

http://www.calgarygasprices.com/

TheBenzo
08-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Centex owns you. Anyways we are all fucked because Calgary needs to be decentralized. The best idea Ive heard for this town is from Chief Big Plume from Tsuu Tina.. that area near harvey barracks being turned into a huge commercial zone.. take some load off of down town for fuck sake

Bizkit
08-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by b_t
People are complaining about the sprawl of Calgary? fuck that, that's why I like Calgary

Spoiled much?

Originally posted by koopkoop2

There's alot of creative math that goes into those labels. If you haven't noticed, it's also produced by the oil companies themselves.

Check out the graph for Encana. Every other oil company looks like this too. The "slim- profits" notion is pure B.S.

Refined gasoline prices have nothing to do with the cost of the base materials. Encana trades energy, or the raw materials. They make money by buying low and selling high. They don't make money selling to the end consumer.

Besides, when you sell Billions of litres of fuel, you are going to make money...

Xtrema
08-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2

All oil companies produce/trade/refine oil. That side of the business has always been good and profitable. Heck, when it take only $21 to produce something worth $60, that's easy math.

Then refineries take that $60 oil and refine it to gas. There isn't a lot of competing refineries, so a good profit margin still can be had.

The competitive retail business which is mainly from the point gas leaves refinery and selling it to the public, this section of the business where margin is slim. You probably make $2 on every $100 revenue. So you hope that you can sell in volume to actually make a profit. But it could easily turn into loss if expenditure is not tightly controlled. Especially big name stores like Superstore/Safeway/Walmart are willing to give out coupons for purchase in their store which really put pressure on individual station owners.

So don't blame the oil companies for high prices. It's still a supply and demand game. Who cries for the companies when the oil was close to $20 a few years back?

codo
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
109.9 here and supreme which i run on is like 125.9

b_t
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Bizkit

Spoiled much?

so what, you'd rather Calgary be like LA? everything yellow with visibility of two miles on a good day because of the smog? fuck urbanites, I'd rather live in a giant suburban-style city then in a cramped, annoying, and dirty place like LA.
and what does spoiled have to do with anything? quit your bitching and move somewhere else if you don't like your space.

lastprodigy
08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
dont midn the gas prices as long as our economy thrives as it is...

Bizkit
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by b_t

so what, you'd rather Calgary be like LA? everything yellow with visibility of two miles on a good day because of the smog? fuck urbanites, I'd rather live in a giant suburban-style city then in a cramped, annoying, and dirty place like LA.
and what does spoiled have to do with anything? quit your bitching and move somewhere else if you don't like your space.

Wow, you are an ignorant ass monkey. LA has the exact same problem that Calgary has. Bad planning which leads to a bad transit system.

Most of the working poor in this city needs to live in the outskirts where transit is disorganized.

Calgary has a problem running busses because people aren't concentrated enough to warrant more than one route.

Calgary is going to have the same smog problem as LA does. Fuck, everyone drives their car (single passenger) everywhere because the transit system licks ass. You live in Cochrane, have a look through the bow Valley toward downton Calgary on a hot summer inverted day and tell me what you think of the smog.

Fuck, you are shortsighted.

hockeybronx
08-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Anyways getting back to the original thread...

I talked to a truck driver today who drives from Montreal to Vancouver every second week, making two stops in Calgary and one in Langley.

He told me two years ago when he started driving it would cost him $3200.00 for fuel (I'm assuming round trip and I believe it's diesel). Now it costs him just over $4000.00 to do the trip and he has had no increase in pay since when he started.

So seeing how he has a $3200.00 budget for fuel, that $800.00+ dollars comes out of his direct pay.

Now although this is one scenario, this is one case where someones quality of life is legitimately deteriorating because of increased fuel costs.

I felt quite bad for the guy actually.

Rockski
08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
i found a place for 99.9 still (only reg, but its the last sign of dying hope) BALZAC SHELL

b_t
08-19-2005, 08:24 PM
all the places in the NW are back down to the mid-90s... put in $5 at Husky today for 94.4 :D

Wow, you are an ignorant ass monkey. LA has the exact same problem that Calgary has. Bad planning which leads to a bad transit system.

Most of the working poor in this city needs to live in the outskirts where transit is disorganized.

Calgary has a problem running busses because people aren't concentrated enough to warrant more than one route.

Calgary is going to have the same smog problem as LA does. Fuck, everyone drives their car (single passenger) everywhere because the transit system licks ass. You live in Cochrane, have a look through the bow Valley toward downton Calgary on a hot summer inverted day and tell me what you think of the smog.

Fuck, you are shortsighted.

Alright, find your perfect city composed of nothing but apartment buildings, plus 15s, and LRTs and tell me how much fun it is to live there.
Quit your bitching and be glad you have a yard.

frostyda9
08-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Fuck, everyone drives their car (single passenger) everywhere because the transit system licks ass

I don't see the working poor comment being relevant. Working poor is under what....say $20k a year? Do you think to make that you need to commute downtown every day? That's basically a $10/an hour job which can be had just about anywhere in the city.

As for the second comment, I think the truth is that North Americans cars are a way of life, and for most people on these boards - an obsession. For most people, it's their second most valuable possession. Why don't I take transit? Because I don't need to, I have a car...
Shortsighted? Absolutely. Am I willing to give that freedom up though? No.

hockeybronx
08-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by frostyda9
Shortsighted? Absolutely. Am I willing to give that freedom up though? No.

If gas gets to $10.00 per litre then my attitude will be different.

Audio_Rookie
08-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Am looking at ways to improve my fuel economy and perhaps converting my vehicles to alternative fuels, natural gas or propane, due to high gas prices.

Once it hits 1.50$ per litre I will be pissed enough to convert all my cars to diff fuel source.

20% of my pay goes to gas, and thats just sad, i get about 30mpg. 200$ a month in gas!

TrevorK
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
Am looking at ways to improve my fuel economy and perhaps converting my vehicles to alternative fuels, natural gas or propane, due to high gas prices.

Once it hits 1.50$ per litre I will be pissed enough to convert all my cars to diff fuel source.

20% of my pay goes to gas, and thats just sad, i get about 30mpg. 200$ a month in gas!

The cost to convert to an alternate source, propane or natural gas, is astronomical.

And the cost of a diesel (Since you can't convert to a diesel) car brand new is also rather large.