PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Car Won't Turn Off

shaggster
08-16-2005, 08:53 PM
MY CAR WON'T TURN OFF.
I JUST REPLACED THE BATTERY AND STARTED MY CAR BUT NOW I TRY TURNING MY CAR OFF IT WON'T TURN OFF IT STAYS RUNNING. I TAKE THE KEY OUT ALL THE LIGHTS TURN OFF BUT MY CAR STAYS STARTED.
WHAT DO I DO?

Sharpie
08-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Disconnect the battery?

shaggster
08-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I DID IT STILL STAYS RUNNING.

finboy
08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
if you disconnected the battery, there is no way it can still run
if you really want to stop it, take the hose off the throttle body and plug it with your hand, and flood that motor like it ain't no thang :D

Sharpie
08-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Take out some fuses, pull some wires maybe that will stop it.

pyro
08-16-2005, 09:08 PM
cover the exhaust:thumbsup:

finboy
08-16-2005, 09:08 PM
pull the spark plug wires

CryoCarnage
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
lol this is funny. If it still runs w/o the battery, you must have like a solar power source or something. Is the actual engine still running or is it just the electric shit?

GTS Jeff
08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Perhaps your engine is after-running, something that can be caused a number of factors...

I used Google to find this: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ro101.htm

PS. TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK GOD DAMNIT!!!

illeagle
08-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by finboy
if you disconnected the battery, there is no way it can still run
if you really want to stop it, take the hose off the throttle body and plug it with your hand, and flood that motor like it ain't no thang :D

Originally posted by CryoCarnage
lol this is funny. If it still runs w/o the battery, you must have like a solar power source or something. Is the actual engine still running or is it just the electric shit?

Alternator keeps the car running

Pull the ECU fuse
pull the spark plugs

infected
08-16-2005, 11:32 PM
Maybe a vacuum leak? or try replacing the ignition switch. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter installed? A bad install could cause the problem. Maybe replace the alternator too. Ummm... it's probably just an electrical problem. Good luck.

shaggster
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
I JUST REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY.
THE CAR KEEPS RUNNING DUE TO THE ALTERNATOR.
BUT I'M WONDERING HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM.
ITS NOT DIESEL THAT IT COULD HAVE AFTER RUNNING.
ITS GAS.
IT DOES HAVE A ALARM AND STARTER BUT THE STARTER WAS JUST INSTALLED BUT NOT PROGRAMMED ON THE REMOTE CONTROL TO MAKE IT WORK.

IT MAY BE THE STARTER BUT SOMEONE SAID IT COULD ALSO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BATTERY CONNECTION.

dooman24
08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
lol suck all the gas out of the car

d.maczko
08-17-2005, 01:50 AM
lol, how long has the car been running now?

shaggster
08-17-2005, 01:54 AM
well i stopped it now by taking all the wires off my battery and cranking my car.
but i'm still wondering what could it be and how can i get this fixed.

Fluidic
08-17-2005, 01:58 AM
It's gotta be the new alarm/starter. Take it back and complain. Goodluck.

infected
08-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Hmm... so you have an aftermarket alarm or remote starter installed, then if the ignition wires are joined when they should be relay isolated then you can get current backfeeding. Not too sure though, someone confirm me on this.
Ummm, and is the idle rough? possibly a heavily carboned comb chamber.
I dunno, fiddle around with the ignition switch or relay.
:dunno:

shaggster
08-17-2005, 02:14 AM
where is the ignition switch.
the rpm does do lower to like 0.4rpm where when its just parked and started with the key inside the ignition its about 0.8rpm.
so the rpm goes lower and it sound a lil bit more rough.

b_t
08-17-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry, you got it to shut off, by disconnecting the battery and then cranking the ignition - while it was running?

and his car is not doing what that link described - my old car would "after-run" or whatever it was called, my parents called it dieseling, but that's because it came out in the days of 95 octane cheap gas and I was running it on 87, and it was not a smooth idle when it was doing this.

infected
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Maybe thats why it idles rough, and his boosting might have messed something up too, who knows.
Sounds like you messed up your car man.
What kind of car is it?
Or you can try posting this under "mechanical/technical discussion"
Good luck.

Velox
08-17-2005, 01:57 PM
if you had an alarm starter installed and you drive a stick shift the starter will keep the car running until all the doors are closed, then the car will turn off its the arming procedure for a stick shift with a starter, don't know if you drive a stick or auto but hope it helps.

EDIT

I believe that the arming procedures are in effect even without the alarm/starter being fully programed.

shaggster
08-17-2005, 02:18 PM
its auto man.

Strugari
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Disconnect the remote starter alarm harnesses. It sounds like an onboard relay in the remote starter is stuck.
Any idea as to the brand of remote starter it is?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Turn off your caps lock, and your car will shut off as normal.

Really! :angel:

dmtx
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by dooman24
lol suck all the gas out of the car

:rofl: this is funny shit! This could have been a very good episode in Seinfeld!!

Phy
08-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Hell, if it was stick he could have just stopped it by throwing it into gear and getting off the clutch without enough gas.

Aka The N00b Jerk.

aln
08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
disconnecting the battery was a bad idea. once you disconnect the battery once the car is running, the voltage hikes up and could blow fuses and your car audio. make sure you check up on that once you get it running again.

trailblazer2002
07-15-2010, 08:44 PM
I have a funny similar story. My 2002 trailblazer sounded like it wouldn't shut off even when the engine was off and key was out... BUT the dealer thinks it's the ABS Motor that won't shut down, not the engine. It's loud and sounds just like the engine when its running. The dealer had to pull a fuse to get it to stop running. It's been at the dealer for 5 hours and in the stall and they are still trying to figure out exactly what happened. The ABS light came on at the same time the loud "engine" noise started. It sounds like an expensive repair but I'm still waiting for him to call back with the total. He said they have only seen this happen on Tahoes and Suburbans but not Trailblazers. Lucky me.

YamahaV8
07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
^ You're aware that this is a 5 year old thread right?

MK3SupraMan™
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Thread revived. :nut: