Phy
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Lions! (http://tinyurl.com/9ys7t)

finboy
08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
link down

Khyron
08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw1124189101363B216

London - Lions at a safari park in the north of England are prowling after Smart cars, in the apparent belief that the boxy little two-seat European city cars are worthy prey.

Visitors to Knowsley Safari Park, outside Liverpool, have long been able to drive their vehicles within metres of the big cats - but those in Smart cars have discovered that the lions are paying them particular interest.

"The lions are used to seeing sedans and family cars on a daily basis, but they had never seen a Smart before," park manager David Ross said on Tuesday.

"Because of the cars' small size and unusual looks, the lions were immediately interested and went to take a closer look."

"We won't be excluding Smarts from the park but we will monitor their progress and ensure that the lions don't take anything more than a passing interest."

Knowsley Safari Park is home to a variety of exotic animals including tigers, buffalo, baboons, camels, rhinos, elephants and giraffes.

A spokesperson for Smart, a Mercedes-Benz brand, said the animal attraction was "very unusual". - Sapa-AFP

Khyron

Phy
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Link fixed. Text is the same as khyron posted.

CryoCarnage
08-17-2005, 01:08 PM
lol funny post. BVut i heard that during crashs they are very safe. There was an articlreshopwing what happens during a crash and the entire impact went around the body instead of in it where you sit.

lastprodigy
08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
lol hilarious....funny to see fat ass people driving them too :rofl:

RUQUIKR
08-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
lol funny post. BVut i heard that during crashs they are very safe. There was an articlreshopwing what happens during a crash and the entire impact went around the body instead of in it where you sit.

True, but think of the physics if a 7000+lb truck hits a 1500ish lb car at 60kms. Might take the blow well but it's going to going flying, which is probable just as dangerous if not more than the initial impact.

GoChris
08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
i hate those cars, are they even cheap? it would have to be SUPER cheap, like under $10k to make it even worthwhile, cause the only reason I can see to get one is to save gas or something.

Khyron
08-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
i hate those cars, are they even cheap? it would have to be SUPER cheap, like under $10k to make it even worthwhile, cause the only reason I can see to get one is to save gas or something.

It's called commuting, and for 15 bucks you get 500kms of driving. That's 60 mpg. Adds up over time. Unless you need your 4x4 to drive downtown?

Khyron

kiwi
08-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Test drove a Smart back in May... it's a fun little car, but the ride is too rough & bumpy for me, expecially when it changes gears.

rockym20
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I think Transport Canada has videos of the crash testing. They actually tested them against big Mercedes sedans. In one of the head-on crash tests the front end of the sedan got pushed almost to the firewall while the Smart car came out with much less damage. It's almost unbelievable when you see the difference in damage between the 2 cars.

philipoo
08-17-2005, 04:38 PM

they are like 20k+

Fodera
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd get excited if that pulled up next to me. Not because its obviously unique, but because I'd be expecting clowns to jump out and put on a show at the nearest redlight.

haha, seriously though, i'd be nervous driving one of those around trucks. Getting side swipped by something 9000lbs heavier would suck, reguardless to how good the crash tests are.

forkdork
08-17-2005, 05:49 PM

start at 16 500

800 CC, 3 CYL Turbo Diesel = save tons of money on fuel (gasoline is at 103, diesel is available at 78 + more effiecient diesel engine :eek: )

forkdork
08-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Smart VS SUV

http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10171

Edit: With pics of both cars involved!