PDA

View Full Version : Chutney (Sunlife Plaza)

Si_FlyGuy
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Just got take out from the lunch buffet. The food's gross. I ended up throwing 95% of it away.

Beef Vindaloo barely had any beef or any spices for that matter.
Naan were under cooked and tasted like very bland pancakes.
"Goat Curry" contained mostly bones.
Butter Chicken wasn't creamy.
Samosas tasted a touch frozen.

All in all, the food lacked flavour.

On the bright side, the waiters seemed fairly nice.

:thumbsdow

3g4me
08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
I dont know how anybody can eat that garbage.

EK 2.0
08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I dont know how anybody can eat that garbage.

THAT cn be said about any ethnic food...it's all aquired tastes...

sputnik
08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I went to Chutney the day it opened. For one its a nice change from that smoke filled cancer pit called The Pied Pickle; and after biting into "medium rare" chicken fingers, I am glad that place is gone.

As for the food at Chutney. I found the buffet quite varied with a good selection of food, not to mention that the take out carton is nice a big. The butter chicken was pretty creamy but more importantly the chicken was tender and juicy unlike some places where it is dry chicken floating in sauce. I didnt find the naan under done (and was smoking HOT) and there was more than enough meat in the goat curry. The fried onion things (cant remember the name) were excellent along with the curried vegetables. The salads were also nice and cold and fresh and the deserts were as good as anywhere else I have had them.

However, I didnt like their Samosas. They are vegetarian and were quite pastey and filled with something similar to mashed potatoes.

There were definately some kinks they were working out, but I will definately be going there again. I could never turn down "more than you can eat" food for $10.

Ambience: 4.5/5 (really bright... nice change from the dank Pickle)
Service: 5/5 (very enthusiastic and courteous staff... hope it lasts)
Food: 4/5 (it wont be long before they figure out what people like and what they dont)

jdmakkord
08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I went to Chutney the day it opened. For one its a nice change from that smoke filled cancer pit called The Pied Pickle; and after biting into "medium rare" chicken fingers, I am glad that place is gone.

As for the food at Chutney. I found the buffet quite varied with a good selection of food, not to mention that the take out carton is nice a big. The butter chicken was pretty creamy but more importantly the chicken was tender and juicy unlike some places where it is dry chicken floating in sauce. I didnt find the naan under done (and was smoking HOT) and there was more than enough meat in the goat curry. The fried onion things (cant remember the name) were excellent along with the curried vegetables. The salads were also nice and cold and fresh and the deserts were as good as anywhere else I have had them.

However, I didnt like their Samosas. They are vegetarian and were quite pastey and filled with something similar to mashed potatoes.

There were definately some kinks they were working out, but I will definately be going there again. I could never turn down "more than you can eat" food for $10.

Ambience: 4.5/5 (really bright... nice change from the dank Pickle)
Service: 5/5 (very enthusiastic and courteous staff... hope it lasts)
Food: 4/5 (it wont be long before they figure out what people like and what they dont)

Traditional samosa's are veggie, and stuffed with potatoes.

sputnik
08-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Traditional samosa's are veggie, and stuffed with potatoes.

There you go. Learn something new everyday!

Si_FlyGuy
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
To each his own sputnik.

I still prefer that place on 4th ave and 5th street for East Indian :)

oh ya...the pied pickle was horrible. it took them 45 mins to make a burger that was half cooked for my friend on his birthday. :barf:

GucciBoy
08-18-2005, 01:09 AM
ah, so that's whats in that spot now. Never was a fan of the P.P. (high prices for mediocre quality food). ^ 45mins for a burger, ya no kidding. Ever notice most, if not all the people going in just go for poole, drinks, lol. I still dont get why they would have 3 (or two now) within a 3 block radius haha. But they had good wings though haha.

Ya butter chicken I think is such a hard dish to make, because everyone has such varied preferences on how they judge it.

Si_FlyGuy
08-18-2005, 07:03 AM
I actually don't mind the Pied Pickle in Bow Valley Square, although I've only been there twice.

3g4me
08-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

THAT cn be said about any ethnic food...it's all aquired tastes...

True.

GucciBoy
08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I actually don't mind the Pied Pickle in Bow Valley Square, although I've only been there twice.

I think thats where 95% of the people go, because of it being in a 4 tower building - and it being more visible to the eye helps aswell unlike the one across from the courthouse.

Don't you find the food services in Sunlife building rather dissapointing? But you got al the big ones in Petro and Bow Valley anyways, so the walk isnt out of the way :).

SpeedyZ
08-19-2005, 12:29 AM
If you go to Chutney for dinner I suggest looking over the bill before leaving a tip, they charged my family a 15% tip without telling, added with the tip already given because we didnt know

Si_FlyGuy
08-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Sunlife food is horrible with the exception of Avellinos.

I honestly don't know how that chinese place stays open....I learned not to go there after my third consecutive "cleansing".

Ben
08-19-2005, 09:17 AM
I personally enjoyed heading over to Sunterra market in the Trans Canada Building. They had the best "Build your own Salads" there. Not to mention all the other awesome daily creations they had if you're not looking for the typical fat burger and fries for 2.95.

sputnik
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM

I honestly don't know how that chinese place stays open....I learned not to go there after my third consecutive "cleansing".

The ShoGun soup is great! Pizza/Pasta Etc makes some pretty good daily specials, Avellinos makes and alright Panini and BurgerBurger is OK if you dont mind clogging your arteries.

Personally I wish Ginger Barff Express would go away too.

sputnik
08-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SpeedyZ
If you go to Chutney for dinner I suggest looking over the bill before leaving a tip, they charged my family a 15% tip without telling, added with the tip already given because we didnt know

Most restaurants charge a gratuity automatically on larger parties.

GucciBoy
08-19-2005, 08:59 PM

LMAO - Ive wondered this too, I never eat there. The korean place is "alright" but nothing special, and rip off prices. For what you pay, might as well go to Bow valley.

Si_FlyGuy
08-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Burger burger's got a front-end logistics problem with keeping their orders straight.

Shogun has a bottleneck at the skillet end, their soups are great - even if they do induce an abnormal amount of post lunch bowel movement.

Sunterra's awesome, but can get pricey for a hungry guy.

Ho Won in Chinatown's got great salt and pepper squid (so I've heard), and Happy Valley has alright grab and go duck rice.

So glad they opened Tim Horton's at Bow Valley...no more feta cheese scones from Sunterra for breakfast.:)

Oh ya...i was going to ask how big SpeedyZ's family is. They usually do impose a tip for parties over 10ish, but they should have at least mentioned it at the door as a courtesy.

Ahhhh...seems like a few Sunlife people here. Anyone rappling down the towers in Sept?

GucciBoy
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Sunterra's awesome, but can get pricey for a hungry guy.

So glad they opened Tim Horton's at Bow Valley...no more feta cheese scones from Sunterra for breakfast.:)

Ahhhh...seems like a few Sunlife people here. Anyone rappling down the towers in Sept?

Rappling down?

Sunterra is good stuff, but overpriced. Deserts are worth it for parties etc. You pay for the atmosphere and presentation.

Tim hortons in Bow valley, god is that place ever busy haha. Everytime I pass through there, its like a zoo. Cant have a better location...Im sure it hurts the Grabba Jabba on the +15 and the second cup on the main.

Ive heard good things about that fairly new place in petro, pitas and etc...but havent gotten around to try yet. I've seen much worse food courts though, the one in Shell building is lacking, only 2 places and a coffee shop that I know of. Also, canterras is fairly limited and small as well. Surprisingly, since that building is mainly lawyers, legal stuff etc. Gulf Canada only has a Tim Hortons and this other small coffee shop, otherwise you have to go to bankers/TD for food, but its only a block away anyways. Chevron, HSBC, only have one choice too

sputnik
09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
My wife and I went to Chutney's again today. They have improved dramatically since the last time I went there.

The food is quite a bit spicier (but still flavourful) and the service was almost annoyingly good. The place was also packed today at lunch.

dericer
09-13-2005, 12:50 PM

That's the only resteraunt I've ever been to that can ruin a club house sandwich.

sputnik
09-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by dericer
That's the only resteraunt I've ever been to that can ruin a club house sandwich.

Or will serve you medium rare (pink) chicken fingers.