PDA

View Full Version : 3M tape vs. LusterGlaze

tigerzcrib
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I just purchased a new Hyundai Tucson and was offered LusterGlaze paint protector and undercarriage rust-proofing (spray I believe) from the dealer for $700. I am debating about going with this versus 3M clear hood protector.
Any suggestions?

Cheers

GSR Zero
08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
You're not comparing the same product. The 3M tape is just for the front end of the car to deter rock chips. Lusterglaze is a product for the entire vehicle. It won't help with rock chips.

But if you're asking what option to go with I would do the 3M tape over the other two. Cars from the factory already have an undercoating. You can always reapply a few years down the line. As for paint protection, do it yourself with a good wax down the line.

calgarygts
08-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Dealership paint protection packages are the biggest ripoff ever ever ever. Do not buy the paint protection from a dealership. You would be much better off to buy a good wax or sealant and apply it yourself - even paying a detailing shop to do that for you would be way cheaper.

Undercoating is a good idea, but I would go for the 3M clear bra for sure. I wouldn't wait to put a good wax on the car either, the sooner the better.

HRD2PLZ
08-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Going to a detail shop will be cheaper than going through the dealership for any of those.
Sometimes, you can go directly to the detail shop at a dealership (instead of going through the business office) and save money that way if you don't want to take it somewhere else.

tigerzcrib
08-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the 411. Looks like the detailing shop is the way to go price wise, regardless of the work.
Good lookin' out.