PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fodera
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, heres the thing....i'm a part time musician and need a car able to lug a lot of my gear back and forth.

I'm really not a truck person...me and trucks just don't get along. I don't know, maybe I'm just a little goofy, but I like the car to be relatively roomy...guess I just feel like I got more for the money that way.

Aside from its urban use, I have a love for photography and would like it to be able to handel offroad travel. It really is a bitch having a small car and have to walk through the trails because my crappy honda will cry if it touches anything thats not paved.

So I I'm basically looking for an SUV that can handel offroading, but is sensible for urban life. I've got about 25k to spend ... and I really need your wisdom to guide me here.

But heres a thought...now don't threaten to murder my family...it's just a thought haha. Hummer has released their H3, as I'm sure youre all aware. Heres how I see the pros and cons:

pros:
-It gets about 20mpg highway
-The exterior seems to be relatively strong. I know the joke about the new line of hummers is theyre basically lunchboxes on wheels, but after I saw the H3 it semt very solid compared to the H2.
-Its very capable of getting me to my offroad destinations.
-An amazing award-winning interior.

cons:
-You constantly get hounded over them.
-It packing a v5...yes...a v5. Not much passing power.
-Very limited vision (or so it seems).
-A lot more tempting to be stolen than your average 30k retail value car.

So what are you opinions of the H3, and what SUVs would you recommend? If possible, i'd like to try and keep it above 12mpg city. Once again my budget it about 25 - 35k.

thanks you guys!

Thaco
08-17-2005, 04:37 PM
if you're not concerned with your ego, look at a minivan, 1-2 years old (2003-2004) they can be had for less than half the origional purchase price.

fingirl
08-17-2005, 04:41 PM
H2/H3 = driveway showoff piece to impress your suburban neighbors

25k might get you a used explorer or something more practical

Fodera
08-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
if you're not concerned with your ego, look at a minivan, 1-2 years old (2003-2004) they can be had for less than half the origional purchase price.
ah, i don't have much of an ego. but would a minivan really be able to handel going offroad well? most of them seem pretty low.

Fodera
08-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by fingirl
H2/H3 = driveway showoff piece to impress your suburban neighbors

25k might get you a used explorer or something more practical
i cant believe i forgot about explorers. have you ever felt out the interior comfort and their ride? interesting to how solid they are.

Thaco
08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
it probably wouldn't do too well offroad, but for only $25k you're gonna have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Supa Dexta
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
If you've forgot about explorers, you've left out a huge piece of the market.. not so much the explorer itself (not a fan) but all of it's direct competition as well... They should have popped into your head way before h2/3's...

car...no, truck...no... maybe a hummer? bit of a gap there

:dunno:

Fodera
08-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
If you've forgot about explorers, you've left out a huge piece of the market.. not so much the explorer itself (not a fan) but all of it's direct competition as well... They should have popped into your head way before h2/3's...

car...no, truck...no... maybe a hummer? bit of a gap there

:dunno:
hehe, well originally it wasnt hummer. it started off denali's, and armadas...soon my budget got crushed (hate it when that happens)

so i just recently started dealing with the less expensive of the cars. I saw the H3 at a retailer, and came home today to do my research, and out it came.

I'm really not as adept in the car market as you guys are =/

trikypenguin
08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
h3 both performance and look wise are garbage in my opinion, hummer is just moving farther and farther away from what made them so cool. each new model of hummer that comes out jsut keeps on getting worse then the original hummer.

lastprodigy
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
h3 is good and unique for the price is long as you dont mind having the bottom of the barel hummer....kind of like having a 320i....

dont listen to fingirl shes obviously a 45 yr old lesbo

Fodera
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Well, I could sit here and BS with basic automotive knowledge, but I won't. Came to these forums to learn about and better understand cars.

I honestly am not sure why the H3 is so hated by the general public. H1 owners, I can understand. I do see that its a heck of a big build for an urban car, but unlike the H2 it's really not a gas guzzler. I mean, its a hummer. If GM decides they want to take the car to urban use, it doesn't make sense that theyd scrap the apperance totally to better fit the urban setting.

It really isn't that bad for the enviorment either. Infact, mcdonalds does more damage to people directly than your H3 will ever generate.

Maybe the appreance is a bit shallow and egotistical, but the only real argument I have for it is the V5. I'm not going to rip on the car because the H1 was obviously an amazing one of a kind car.

But once again, I don't know any better. If somebody could inform me on exactly what makes this H3 not worth the money, I'd be greatful.

Kirbs17
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Look into the 02/03 line of trailblazers and explorers. They're under 25k for a well kept vehicle, and can get you going where you need to be.

theres nothing really wrong with the hummer, but im sure you can get more bang for your buck with a different vehicle

BubbaSTi
08-18-2005, 07:50 AM
If you want to get a cheap little suv, go for Jimmy's. They sell for about 18500 BRAND NEW. I think this is because they are trying to phase them out of production. They may not have enough room though, but you could go check them out.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2005, 06:30 PM
If you want at least some of the impact of a Hummer, but without the attached pricetag, I recommend a Lincoln Aviator. Plush interior, nice ride, and you can have them for fairly cheap used.

When I say "fairly cheap," I mean they list for $30,000 - $45,000 in the Trader. You might have to save up a bit more, but I think it'd be worth it.

Aviators are :bigpimp:

However, if you don't want to save, you can get the bigger Navigator. Equally nice ride, but they've been around a bit longer than the Aviator, so you can pick up a 1999 or older for under your $25,000 budget.

For Example (http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=13247546&pgno=1&srt=1)

Navigators are equally :bigpimp: , but they're a bit pricier on gas. They're bigger, though, so they'd haul your stuff a lot better.

So, as my overall recommendation, I say pick up a used Navigator. They're extremely useable for city life, plus they can go offroad when you have to. (Air suspension) I also think they look better than Hummers, and they're cheaper than the Aviator.

DannyO
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
How about a used Infiniti Qx4, or you could go for something like a Subaru Impreza Wagon, its got the room and the AWD, only thing it doesn't have is the ground clearance, and will you really need to have some big ground clearance to get to some of your locations?

Mr. Burns
08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd get the blazer that BubbaSTI was talking about and put the rest of your budget into some nice 31"s and a sweet set of rims.

GoChris
08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
kia sportage! new for $20k

Rockski
08-18-2005, 11:32 PM
id reccomend a jimmy, thats just cause im partial to them... BUT, they do fit all of your catagories there

offroading
hauling
practial city use

plus with some engine work they can be make to have quite the kick up and go.

cargo space in the back is plenty enough for a weekend photographer and still have comfy room for a family of 4