PDA

View Full Version : Long Wires (Component, VGA etc)

Street_Soldier
08-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Where in Calgary can I find Component Video wires, VGA, SVGA wire etc. I need them to be around 25 feet long.
Does anyone know where I can get them in the city, phone numbers and prices and addresses would really help.

thanks

b_t
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
ditto! I've been looking for super-long HD cables and a really long optical cable so I don't need to move my comp into the living room when I want to watch HD downloaded movies.

rinny
08-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Is this for home stereo/theatre type of stuff? Soundsaround, any home theatre place im sure. Yellow Pages under A/V.

jdmakkord
08-18-2005, 06:41 PM
4M is the longest monster cables you will find. Sometimes it is better to get custom made ones. Try K&W, or other theater only stores. They should be able to help you out.

EK 2.0
08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
4M is the longest monster cables you will find. Sometimes it is better to get custom made ones. Try K&W, or other theater only stores. They should be able to help you out.

werrd...although Belkin just started making wires...and they do offer longer than standard lenghts...as far as quality of said cables...I would not be able to tell you...

RUQUIKR
08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
There is a company in the N.E., I believe the are called Alberta Cable.

Xtrema
08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Cable lose singal strength and noise increases as length of cable increases. That's why shielding is important.

A heavily shielded 25ft VGA extension cable @ ACC is $250. With corporate account, you can probably get it down to $180-$200.

I don't think I have seen Component cable over 4M/15ft.

dmtx
08-18-2005, 07:54 PM
My component video cable is 25ft long but I got it from ebay. I was looking around Calgary didn't get any luck.

GTS Jeff
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I got a no name 8 metre s-video cable from A&B sound for $50. It worked alright; quality isn't horribly affected until you reach lengths exceeding 50 feet, mainly because an s-video signal is super low voltage.

But that's a moot point. I ended up returning said cable because I happened to find some way nicer s-video cable in my dad's basement haha.

b_t
08-19-2005, 08:18 AM
well I thought if it was digital there would be no problem with the signal degrading... so if I found a super-long HDMI cable and optical cable, I wouldn't have the same problems as I would have with a really long component cable