PDA

View Full Version : Removing bundled software

creeper
08-19-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm sure this is a re-post, but I searched and found nothing.

I am planning on re-installing Windows XP to my computer, because it just has alot of crap on it that I don't need anymore, old software that dosen't include uninstallers, crazy random files - you know how it is.

I have the proper reset CD's that came with the computer, and a real key & everything, and I have reformatted/reset the OS before successfully.

The only problem is that is comes with a TON of software, video editors, picture viewers, alot of stuff that I'm not interested in having.

So, is there any way to just install XP, with . . . no software. Like no internet explorer, no nothing? Just a totally blank and clean computer, that I could add Mozilla Firefox to with a cd that I burn before I reset, and then add my few (less than 10) programs onto.

I hate all the crap that these computers come with now, its a Sony Vaio, so it has alot of media stuff that is for beginners, none of which I have ever used.

I've googled it, but came up with nothing.

Thanks for the insight!

dragonone
08-19-2005, 04:58 AM
IE's integrated into file explorer and such
but to strip xp is a long diy

i dont' know if d/l xp and using a real serial is illegal, but there are many stripped versions out there, like a 89mb install or sumthin'

tictactoe2004
08-19-2005, 09:24 AM
just make a copy of someones original Windows XP CD, then use YOUR Windows XP Licence on the bottom of the machine. That will get rid of all the Sony garbage that comes on it normally. Internet Exporer is built into windows though, but at least you'll skip out on all the other junk.

sabad66
08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't think the OEM keys work with retail installation CDs...

Khyron
08-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
I don't think the OEM keys work with retail installation CDs...

If any of your friends have bought a comp from mem express or oem depot, they should have a copy of OEM XP. Then you can just register with your number as mentioned above. Don't bother trying to strip out windows programs like IE, not worth it, but those shops don't include all the Sony/HP crap.

Khyron

dANK
08-19-2005, 11:41 AM
how do you install xp without getting sasser virus is my question

everytime i reinstall it i get the sasser virus and have a heck of a hard time getting rid of it..

Khyron
08-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by dANK
how do you install xp without getting sasser virus is my question

everytime i reinstall it i get the sasser virus and have a heck of a hard time getting rid of it..

Install without the computer plugged into the network. Either get SP2 on a cd, or copy zone alarm to a cd and install - THEN plug into the network to get the remaining updates. Or use this as an excuse to get a firewall/router for your home connection in the first place.

Khyron

Gooseberry
08-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Creeper want to lend me that Vaio CD?

I've got the key but no Sony XP CD.

:)

dragonone
08-19-2005, 04:26 PM
and remember to d/l some of the required drivers like wireless lan or display and such

dANK
08-20-2005, 12:23 PM
thanks khyron i had a sneaking suspicion that i should download SP2 on disc and do that.. i just confirmed it.. thanks