PDA

View Full Version : Stripped drain plug?

Khyron
08-19-2005, 09:05 PM
My nice torque wrench I borrowed apparently doesn't click, ever - so I seem to have stripped the oil drain plug on my 99 zx6r. It went loose then tightened again so I know it's screwed. Leaking slightly when hot but driveable, so who would be able to fix it without a rape kit? I assume a re-tap of the hole with a slightly bigger plug?

Khyron

dreamchaser
08-19-2005, 09:15 PM
i dont think you can do that. I think you will have to change the oil pan, i could be wrong since i have not seen the setup on your car.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't see why you couldn't re-tap the hole. Just try not to get metal shavings into the pan, if you can avoid it.

78si
08-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Put grease on the tap! It collects the metal fragments.

Then I would flush the engine with fresh oil.

**Make sure to use a pipe tap.

EK 2.0
08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by dreamchaser
i dont think you can do that. I think you will have to change the oil pan, i could be wrong since i have not seen the setup on your car.

It's a bike...

Phy
08-20-2005, 09:44 AM
^Advice should be valid for cars, too, shouldn't it? :dunno:

SOAB
08-20-2005, 04:38 PM
drain oil
take oil pan off
re-tap drain hole
re-install pan with NEW gasket
pour in new oil

done!

civic_stylez
08-20-2005, 04:45 PM
i did the same thing on my jeep so i just use hi temp teflon tape on the plug...probably not the greatest idea but its an old jeep that i use for roading...:burnout:

kevie88
08-20-2005, 06:04 PM
you can remove the pan and do a proper heli-coil too. The pan gasket's pretty cheap and the heli coil shouldnt cost more than 40$ to do.

Give Pro-Am or the Foot a call and see what they want for a new pan too, might not be too much.

cmodem
08-25-2005, 02:31 PM
i would try to get the bolt off first before tapping... just did this on my dad's concorde and have done it on numerous screws before (dad owns lots of taxi cars... and those mechanics that do taxi inspections are morons).

Just dremel and slot in the screw put a chisel up there and bang it to loosen it... it'll come off no need to rethread nothing.

Weapon_R
08-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Not hard to do at all. Take it off before you do any work. You can either use your existing hole, or weld it and start over again, which is what i'd do because you can use existing standard sized drain plugs and will not have to hassle with different sizes etc. Anyways, the reason you should remove the oilpan is because you do not want any shavings to get into your system. Even with grease, you risk the chance of some getting into your oil.