PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions

5hift
08-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, Im new to riding and just purchased a bike and I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1) I've been told my bike would be a target for theives and that an alarm would be a good idea. Im not sure where the best place to get that and if its something I would be able to install , etc... if anyone has any info on that It would be great

2) I need to buy gear an know that online is probably the cheapest way to get gear. However I dont know if I want to wait 2 weeks to a month to ride just because I dont have gear. So if anyone knows of any sites with fast delivery, or know of any places in Calgary i Could get a deal if a buy a good helmet, jacket and gloves all at once.

SilentGiant
08-20-2005, 12:13 PM
any of the stealerships around here could give you a good deal if you bought all your gear at one time.

if anything. spend money on getting a good lid...the cheap ones offer the same protection, but the more expensive ones have better, lighter materials, and breathe better. Dont cheap out on gear!

Blackfoot motorsports
Walt Healy
Bow Cycle
GW Cycle World
Pro-Am

those are a few of the dealers around town where you could buy gear from.

online. www.parts411.com is not bad for stuff. but if your buying leathers at least try them on at the dealership first..its super hard to get the right fit as each one is cut a bit different..

went through 6 different brands to try on when I bought my 1pc race leathers.

SOAB
08-20-2005, 04:34 PM
go see brad at GW cycle. he will definitely help you pic out the right helmet and gear for your needs.

don't be cheap though, good gear will save your ass. cheap gear will leave your skin exposed after the stitching comes apart in a crash.

peter.pan
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I second the above, Brad at GW awesome guy and great deals too. See my for sale thread in miscellaneous for a jacket if interested. Ride on man, see ya.

irs
08-30-2005, 05:15 PM
check your pm's

ricosuave
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
im also in need of info and gear, so if anyone could post or pm me, id appreciate it.

rico

danno
08-30-2005, 09:16 PM
i will third the brad at gw. he gave me a good deal on all my stuff. i got a shoei helmet for 600 bucks. i think that's a pretty good deal. all my other equiment i got threw him as well. there always willing to help unlike blackfoot. blackfoot does have cheaper parts i must admit.

i would also like some info on alarms??

if gw was near me that would be the only place i would shop:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

viffer
08-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Regarding the alarm, do you park your bike outside at night, or is it in a garage? If its left outside then definitely consider a good alarm and some type of disc lock as well. If you park your bike inside, then I wouldn't even worry about it, thats $400 you could spend on other stuff. Although, if you're insured through Primmum, they REQUIRE a 4-point alarm before they even give you a quote.

Sad thing is that even with an alarm, if somebody really wants to steal your bike, they will. :(