PDA

View Full Version : Checkstops...

Kobe
08-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Alright, I was on Mcleod Trail Last night, and there was a massive checkstop...

Soo I get pulled in with the cop, he flashes his light at me, asks me if I had anything to drink I Reply "No Sir" Anyways, he sees a shooter i bought on the front seat (Didn't even realize it was there) He asks me, I show him, then I tell him I got a 24 pack of Kokanne on the back seat not opened, He replys, alright just keep the shooter out from the front seat, as its illegal, and drive save..

Alright, I'm glad there doing checkstops and everything, but he didn't even look at my alcohol on the back seat, and he saw a shooter in the car...

I'm pretty pissed I never got taken out of the car and asked more questions... I think they need to be more striked at the checkstops...

Anyone else notice this???

I'm also a 18 year old, driving a 94 acura Integra...

It might of been that I respected him, and answered truthfully.....

Ben
08-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Cops for the most part can tell.

Last time I went through a checkstop, he asked for my ID, and looked at my address.

"Still over on Mount Cascade?"

"No sir, I'm at XXX" I corrected him with my correct address, which was on the ID as I verbalized it, but he asked me a trick question using an incorrect address to make sure I was not just trying to "Yes, No" myself out of the situation.

Always act polite, and above all, dont be drunk, and you'll never have problems.

Nissanaddict
08-21-2005, 01:31 AM
They shine the light in your face, and if your pupils don't expand at a slowed rate, it basically means you're sober there. They're trained pretty well. And honesty is good as well.

ryder_23
08-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Nothing beats the checkstop i hit last friday on glenmore. I got instantly flagged over to pull over, not checked on the main strip. Started rolling down window, i said "evening sir" he says, alberta check stop, bla bla bla, been drinking, i said "no" All within the amount of time it took my window to go down, and said had a good night.

I was just kinda choked he made me pull over for something he could of done on the road, ah well. I love going threw checkstops, especially when i see people gettin towed away. He could of kept me there for a while, and i wouldnt of cared.

BTW:, 99% of the time they know right away if uve been drinking or not, so he probably didnt see the reason to keep you there.

Kobe
08-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
They shine the light in your face, and if your pupils don't expand at a slowed rate, it basically means you're sober there. They're trained pretty well. And honesty is good as well.

Really, I never know that...

Just found it weird since I had so much alcohol in the car, and a shooter on the front seat...

D'z Nutz
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I think his only concern with that was if you had a shooter in the front, that could have possibly meant you recently used it... If the alcohol in your car is still unopened, it's probably a good guess you haven't had any.

mac_82
08-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Where was the checkstop on glenmore? I must have just missed it.

ryder_23
08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by mac_82

well i guess it was saturday morning, glenmore just past blackfoot over pass. On the way to the deerfoot ramps.

Nissanaddict
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
At least we have year round checkstops. Imagine every other province in the winter when nobody wants to do it. "well who cares" and then people die. Unfair. Crack down on drunk driving as much as possible if ya ask me. Or stoned driving, or driving on heroin Scott Weiland style.

Kobe
08-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by mac_82

Right by Lindsay Park.. Atleast 40 cop cars... It was massive...

H4LFY2nR
08-21-2005, 02:18 AM
At around 12:30 am the checkstop RV, 8 cruisers, and 2 unmarked SUV's pulled up to Boston Pizza in Beddington. I guess they were going to eat before setting up on the Beddington Trail exit off of Deerfoot. It was funny seeing an entire parking lot filled with cops.

retro-steve
08-21-2005, 03:02 AM
They're doing them major now. I work nights and in the past week I've seen/been through 5, now that's pretty crazy considering I have been through about 4 or 5 in my life prior to this week. I'm glad they're cracking down, I'm driving on the road 12 hours per night and I see some crazy stuff go down with people being drunk so this is really good.

Also the Glenmore one around the Blackfoot exit I've never seen so many tow trucks! I actually saw a flatbed tow truck with two cars on the flat bed and then it was towing one behind it...there must be a serious problem with drunk driving this summer and I guess that's why they're cracking down.

djayz
08-21-2005, 03:33 AM
yah i sorta enjoy going through them...cuz knowing after that there is 99% chance that there no drunk driver on the same road ill be driving on

also a good feeling when you see 3-4 cars being towed away.

i usually hit the one heading from downtown onto memorial but one thing i noticed many times is they dont stop a few people here and there in between etc...and also in the far left lane going onto edmonton trail they have kept it open a few times. I took that lane one time cuz there was a huge line for memorial one and i just went straight up onto edmonton trail

benyl
08-21-2005, 08:49 AM
What you probably didn't notice (I noticed this in the same spot after working out and getting pulled over) is that the officer stuck his head in halfway in my car. I saw him take a big sniff as he was talking.

If you had alcohol on your breath, I think you would have been pulled out of the car.

He didn't even ask me for my license.

Officer: Been drinking?
Me: No sir, I just finished working out (big sniff)
Officer: Have a nice night.
Me: (drive away)

A_3
08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
When I was leaving Cowboys on Thursday night the Police had soem buddies Jeep Grand Cherokee up on a flat bed in the the Boot Company Parking lot. Great move by the police IMO, catching the drunk drivers before they can actually get on the road in obvious spots. :thumbsup: CPS!

becks_is_back
08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
couldnt tell ya, i always just cruise on through like nothing happened, hahahaha j/k

schurchill39
08-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I like going through the check stops here in the hat cuz they give you free whopper coupons if you havent been drinking. Some times the cops are nice and give me one for every person on my car and then we go for a good midnight BK run. Lots of times too though i havent got the coupon but thats ok cuz there is always at least 4 cars being towed away at that time.

MiG_Master
08-21-2005, 10:47 PM
I've never been through or even seen a Checkstop up here in Edmonton.

Which is too bad IMO, as the police should be doing all they can to eliminate drunk driving.

Weapon_R
08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Ever notice how they lean in when they ask you these questions? They are checking to see whether they can smell alcohol on your breath, they look at your eyes and shine the light into them to see how they change, and they are trained quite well at being able to pick out people who are trying to lie.

Jesus
08-22-2005, 04:27 AM
So what if you're deaf? Do they have interpreters on site? That would be a form of discrimination if they didn't.

BubbaSTi
08-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Jesus
So what if you're deaf? Do they have interpreters on site? That would be a form of discrimination if they didn't.

Harsh man!!!

I think they would probably write it down on a pad or something. And if the person was worse off than just deaf, then mabye they shouldn't be driving.

Toms-SC
08-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Jesus
So what if you're stupid Do they have interpreters on site? That would be a form of discrimination if they didn't.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Phy
08-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by MiG_Master
I've never been through or even seen a Checkstop up here in Edmonton.

Which is too bad IMO, as the police should be doing all they can to eliminate drunk driving.

They're probably too busy maintaining all the red light cams.