PDA

View Full Version : Mazda MR2 Impressions & Opinions

Mikko
02-02-2003, 12:56 PM
I am interested in learning more about them. All generations. One of the reasons is because I am looking at possibilities of rebuilding one into a pro-rally competition car sometime, but forget about that, I am also just curious, I have gained a large interest for the cars overall. Lightweight, MR, two seater, no power steering on the older ones, etc.

EDIT: hahah, friggin hell. No sleep and a headache.. Toyota of course. *Slaps self* :banghead: Moderators, please change the subject of the thread!

If you can, give your comments on, and comparing these things with other vehicles:

1. Ergonomics, vision, space for driver and passenger.
2. Handling while cornering on different surfaces (if you have any idea). Did you notice the lower inertia due to the mid mounted engine? Keeping the weight near the center of the car should make it require less force (from the front wheels usually when turning) to make it start rotating, and less to straighten it out - thus making it sharper.
3. Weak poinds, parts that are prone to being damaged easy.
4. As above, but the unusually strong points.

theken
02-02-2003, 12:58 PM
toyota

2.2vtec
02-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Mazda MR2?? you must mean toyota mr2. I had a 91 and even though the there was no power steering it had the best turning radius then any other car I have driven. By far the one of the best handling cars for the money.

GTS Jeff
02-02-2003, 01:06 PM
a good car til the 3rd gens came out. altho the non-turbo sw20 seems really anemic to me

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Miko If you're using the car for rally then I suggest going with the first generation Mr2. It is much lighter than the 2nd gen, parts are cheaper and also easier to come by. The high revving 4age engine found in the MK1 MR2 makes the car extremely responsive in and out of the corners and the handling is extremely precise and predictable. I've found the 2nd generation mr2 to be much too tail happy especially if you plan to take it off road. The suspension on the first gen mr2 although softer than the second gen's suspension would also be more suitable to offroad racing. The seating position in the first gen is also more upright and the seats are higher than they are in the second generation. In the second gen they are very low and make you look like a wannabe gansta in a 6 9'pala, definitely not the type of seating position you want in a rally car. The engines available in the second gen mr2's aren't very suitable for rally racing, the 2.2l 5sfe n/a motor doesnt rev very high and doesnt really have any sort of powerband like the 1.6L 4age does and the 2.0 turbo 3sgte is not responsive enough for tight entry's and exits. One thing to note with both cars is that at high speeds the steering becomes very light and twitchy because of the lack of weight in the front of the car. Look for a first gen MR2 for your rally racing, the 2nd gen is more suited towards drag and street track.

Mikko
02-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks a lot for that feedback. :) Haha, though, gravel roads and such is not 'off-road'. It's just differently surfaced roads. I guess an actual road is where traffic rules apply, then the surface doesn't matter much.

So the 1st gen has a long torque courve? I don't particulary like peaky engines, but a flat long courve makes it more drivable. Lightness is always good. Hmm twitchy.. wonder if one can get aerodynamic aids for it. Yes, big spoilers that produce drag, it doesn't really matter to me.

Low seating position = lower center of gravity = less chance of roll-over. How high is the engine mounted in a MR2 versus conventional cars?

Lo)2enz0
02-02-2003, 02:02 PM
I still want a 89, when they came out with it supercharged. so nice.

RiceCake
02-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Damn those supercharged MK1 MR2's were a blast! :thumbsup: Very quick from the factory, but too damn they're rare and damn pricey. :(

GTS Jeff
02-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
Thanks a lot for that feedback. :) Haha, though, gravel roads and such is not 'off-road'. It's just differently surfaced roads. I guess an actual road is where traffic rules apply, then the surface doesn't matter much.

So the 1st gen has a long torque courve? I don't particulary like peaky engines, but a flat long courve makes it more drivable. Lightness is always good. Hmm twitchy.. wonder if one can get aerodynamic aids for it. Yes, big spoilers that produce drag, it doesn't really matter to me.

Low seating position = lower center of gravity = less chance of roll-over. How high is the engine mounted in a MR2 versus conventional cars? the supercharged engine has a pretty good torque curve right from idle up to its 7500rpm redline, the na 4ag also has a pretty smooth torque curve but its small so the engine feels peaky even tho it isnt. theres also a bit of a kick at tvis engagement...

Mikko
02-02-2003, 05:56 PM
It's 130kg heavier though - that is A LOT heavier. Surely the MR2 SC's extra weight isn't only a supercharger?

Redlyne_mr2
02-02-2003, 06:33 PM
It's 130kg heavier though - that is A LOT heavier. Surely the MR2 SC's extra weight isn't only a supercharger?
The Mr2 became moreof an image car with the release of the sc'd MR2, this included the addition of heavier leather seats, t-roof, power everything, and side skirt package. The sc'd ones are easy to make quick, add an aftermarket pulley and intake and those cars become just as quick as the 2nd gen turbo.

RiCE-DaDDy
02-02-2003, 11:32 PM
one important thing, they are a BITCH to work with. Engine being at the back, it's cramped like a mother there

XylathaneGTR
02-02-2003, 11:41 PM
True, but if your building for Pro Rally, you wouldn't always be working with the engine in the back, and it would require a lot of rebuilding.

I liked MR2's for a while, maybe a year ago, but i changed my mind on other things. Since im poor, (damn co-op :(...paying me dirt nothing :( )i've had to focus on reality and look towards cheaper cars, as an alternative to saving for years...Mr2s have leapt back into my thoughts.

Their good cars, well balanced, light, quick. Go for it mikko.
Obviously there won't be a lot of space for driver/passanger etc, becuase its a small car. but i think its ample for the car size. Similar to DelSol in passenger volume right?

three.eighteen.
02-03-2003, 12:15 AM

1. Ergonomics, vision, space for driver and passenger.
2. Handling while cornering on different surfaces (if you have any idea). Did you notice the lower inertia due to the mid mounted engine? Keeping the weight near the center of the car should make it require less force (from the front wheels usually when turning) to make it start rotating, and less to straighten it out - thus making it sharper.
3. Weak poinds, parts that are prone to being damaged easy.
4. As above, but the unusually strong points.

1. they fit tight, 2 seats, shifter is up high, the transmission is basically an arm rest, you can see the nose, car turns on a dime
2. depends on tires more than anything, the car feels very easy to rotate, short wheelbase too
3. it sucks to work on one, constantly leaning in, the 1st gen are very difficult to find in 'good' condition, i think they have fiberglass nose?
4. peaky engine, lots of power especially in either iterations of forced induction (1st gen s/c, 2nd gen turbo), beautiful handling on nice roads, i've only test driven a first gen though

however, i've read an article on a 1st gen rally car, lots of work to make the car rallyworthy, too many of the oem parts werent designed to take the huge stresses of rally, the car is fragile

James
02-03-2003, 01:52 AM
Cant Beleive i missed this Thread:confused: ,maybe becuase you called it a MAZDA! lol .......I love my Car, like others have Said, Peaky high revving engine, Very tight through corners, good throttle response in and out of corners etc..
The Space isnt as bad as you would think, before i bought my car i test drove a Honda Del Sol and that was a Pain in the Ass to get in and out of( im a pretty big guy)....When i Saw my car in the Trader, and wanted to go see it, my friend was like"Dont you remember the Del sol? how are you gonna fit in an MR2"...Like a glove! Glad i went to look at it,:D mine is in a alot better shape than most,seeing as its an '86 and they Tend to Rust pretty bad, but it only has 127,000km, bought it in June with 111,600k. and it was originally a B.C. car.
I Think an MK1 MR2 is a really good Choice for a Rally car, I'll be taking mine to as many Solo2 events as i can this Year Since thats what i my car was made for!( sort of) :tongue:
Only Recently have i Had any Real Problems with my car ,I have pretty much replaced everything related to the Brakes( replaced the Alternator, and ive had some stupid( bad luck) issues with Glass Breaking, sunroof etc..( my Fault). Some of it is Due to the Cold Weather Driving, Which is not reccomended, as this car dosnt even have a block Heater, and the interior Heater has to be the Worst i have ever seen.
With Good Tires, Driving in Any Weather Conditions is possible, Rain Can be a bitch at Times, but only if your pushing the Car, I Had one Close Call with a Curb. I find with the Engine in the Back it Actually helps for Traction, it can be a little twitchy on Ice/snow at higher Speeds 70km/h+, but you Learn how to Deal with it.

I think thats enough for right now, I'll add more later if you like.

James
02-03-2003, 02:06 AM
And About being a Bitch to work on, YES sometimes I wonder why i even bothered buying a Mid Engine Car!....For Example the Alternator, "Theken" an i Did that and it took about 2 hours, and most of the work was done from underneath the car AFTER taking
out part of the cooling System from the Top to Gain Access to 2 Bolts.The Haynes Manual Actually Suggested taking out the Exhaust to get Easier Access! We Said Fuck That! lol...But i figure By the Time i buy another Car, after working on a Mid-Rear Car, moslty everything else should be a Peice of cake! :dunno:

Mikko
02-03-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_MR2

this included the addition of heavier leather seats, t-roof, power everything, and side skirt package.

Those things can be removed, though I don't like the idea of having a T-roof. Would require work to fix.

Originally posted by three.eighteen

i've read an article on a 1st gen rally car, lots of work to make the car rallyworthy, too many of the oem parts werent designed to take the huge stresses of rally, the car is fragile

Where was this article, was it online by any chance? I would love to see it. As far as I see it, a car is rally-worthy from the start (with roll-cage), but it's state of durability determines how hard it may be pushed on different surfaces. Do you recall what parts especially were too fragile?

Originally posted by James

the interior Heater has to be the Worst i have ever seen. [engine] being a Bitch to work on, YES sometimes I wonder why i even bothered buying a Mid Engine Car

Yum, lots of info, thanks! Interior heater would not be an issue as it would be a competition car. I think I should make some gearhead friends. :rofl:. I'm really not a tuner and I don't exactly enjoy working on cars to insane lengths.

Now the million dollar question - what kind of aerodynamic aids are available? Remember, it should be very functional spoilers that actually provide downforce, even at the expense of getting more drag.

Other questions are: How many turns from lock to lock on the steering wheel? What about the other generation MR2's?

4wheeldrift
02-03-2003, 07:41 AM

Those things can be removed, though I don't like the idea of having a T-roof. Would require work to fix.
A T-roof wouldn't be pro-rally legal anyways, you'd have to weld a panel into the roof to make it completely solid. Would be better for the overall rigidity of the chassis anyways, since T-roof models tend to have quite a bit of body flex.

three.eighteen.
02-03-2003, 12:44 PM

Where was this article, was it online by any chance? I would love to see it. As far as I see it, a car is rally-worthy from the start (with roll-cage), but it's state of durability determines how hard it may be pushed on different surfaces. Do you recall what parts especially were too fragile?

uhh...takes more than a roll cage to let u rally, im willing to bet the mr2s axles and ball joins would snap over the first big bump (this goes for almost any road going car, unless it has a really beefy suspension to begin with), in a rally the car's chassis/suspension is what needs to be the most prepared the article was in SCC, i have dozens of issues, i'll try to dig it up but chances are i'll prolly find it while im on the shitter

Mikko
02-03-2003, 12:59 PM
lol, thanks three.eighteen. And I'd be sure to slow down before a jump then. :D

It takes a roll cage, nomex jumpsuits (I think), fire extinguishers to rally. The rest is just up to how hard you want to push it without having it break down.

4wheeldrift
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

uhh...takes more than a roll cage to let u rally, im willing to bet the mr2s axles and ball joins would snap over the first big bump (this goes for almost any road going car, unless it has a really beefy suspension to begin with), in a rally the car's chassis/suspension is what needs to be the most prepared the article was in SCC, i have dozens of issues, i'll try to dig it up but chances are i'll prolly find it while im on the shitter You can go rallying in a stock car with only a roll cage, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and full fireproofs for both driver and co-driver. Anything after that is up to what class you want to run, how competitive you want to be, and how likely your car is to break down :D

92 Teg-B18A
02-03-2003, 04:14 PM
The latest issue of SCN (http://www.sportcompactnational.com/) has an article where they turned an MKI MR2 into an Ice Racer. Probably some similar ideas as to turning it into a rally worthy car.

Redlyne_mr2
02-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Mikko you are looking for the article about the rally MR2, it was in sport compact car a few years ago, you may be able to find it in their archives.