PDA

View Full Version : Best way to learn how to re-build an engine?

tictactoe2004
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Ok... so i've basically done everything to my car except rebuild the engine, what's the best way I can learn how to re-build one?

I was thinking about buying an older beater that needs some engine work... getting a book... and just trying.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

legendboy
08-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Buy the OEM factory technician service manual for the car and buy this book

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/sunnen.jpg

this is definatly one of the best books i own

freakin
08-22-2005, 10:22 AM
The best way is to get a car to experiment on. The only real way to learn is through doing. I wonder if SAIT provides night courses on stuff like that for casual/shadetree mechanics. Might be worth looking in to.

Read up on the theory and basics, then try it out.

tictactoe2004
08-22-2005, 11:54 AM
cool, thanks for the replies... i'm not really interested in taking a course, but i'll check out that book for sure.

buck
08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
It,s not as hard as you think, get a manual and go for it. Just take your time and keep every thing very clean.
Just don't go super lift cams and shit and you will be fine

Toms-SC
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Get a mentor whos be doing it for 20+ years. Thats what I am doing. :D

b_t
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

that's some solid advice right there

finboy
08-22-2005, 02:46 PM

:werd:

my buddy hasn't been doing it for 20 years but he has MANY motors that he has built for himself and others, we put my motor togeather (2.5 SOHC, stock size cast pistons) in a few evenings and it is a STRONG motor. compression results have come back good every time i've done a compression test, and leakdown tests say the same.

good luck :thumbsup:

schurchill39
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I dont know about u but if you are a hands on learner i suggest buying that book or what ever book might be best for your car (start off with a crappy car so u dont mess up anything important just in case) and just have at it. I am a pretty quick hands on learner so I know personally that would be the best approach for me.

tictactoe2004
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM

lol, well if anyone here has been doing it for that long and has a bunch of extra time, lol, send me a PM.....

so yeah, i was just planning on buying a beater and giving it a shot... i don't want to do any performance stuff yet.... just learn the basics first, once I got that figured out I want to learn something about turbos.... once those two parts are figured out then I'll be able to put a turbo on my mustang and fix it when it blows up :D

finboy
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

lol, well if anyone here has been doing it for that long and has a bunch of extra time, lol, send me a PM.....

so yeah, i was just planning on buying a beater and giving it a shot... i don't want to do any performance stuff yet.... just learn the basics first, once I got that figured out I want to learn something about turbos.... once those two parts are figured out then I'll be able to put a turbo on my mustang and fix it when it blows up :D

in that case, get a turbo dodge, they are EVERYWHERE in the junkyards, have strong SIMPLE motors very much like a v8, can make power for litterally nothing (like $7 for a boost controller), and you can buy them for CHEAP.

to give you an idea, look what i got for $1200 (rims were extra)...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2086327