322 - 11th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 262-7262
http://www.vintagechophouse.com/

Number in Party - 4
Food rating - 10 / 10
Ambience - 5 / 5
Service - 9.5 / 10
Average Cost per person: dependant on what you order. Pastas, ~$20 + drinks, Steaks $30-$50+ drinks, generally $50-60 per person for steak dinners w/ a couple drinks, and not being cheap.

I had the extreme pleasure of dining at this location Friday evening with my family.

Reservations were absolutely necessary as it was a kickin' place, and we were promptly seated at our prepared and waiting table. The atmosphere was perfect, right off the bat, superb lighting accenting rich dark burgundy and ebony oak, maple, and unfinished pine.

Classy quality white tablecloths, proper table settings with appropriate cutlery and glasses one would expect at an upscale restaurant. Accompanied by comfortable seating, it was already a place I could entirely see myself returning to.

Service started right off the bat. The extremely attractive female who greeted us and showed us our table was replaced by our server for the evening (sad I know, however such is life), whom all wear crisp clean white sport jackets, definitely a change from the standard black suit attire found most commonly at other formal restaurants. I actually like it.

Now, contrary to my last review, this waiter immediately introduced himself, welcomed us to the restaurant, and other pleasantries, before bringing us up to speed on what the restaurant was all about and what their specials were that night (including a massive 36oz T bone :eek: )

He then took the drink orders, of course starting with the women. Another sign that he at least has some sort of clue how to serve.

Dinner selections were the Teriyaki strip loin for my sister, 12oz Rib Eye for my mother, Steak Oscar for my father, and I myself had the 16oz Rib Eye. We also had some salad and sautéed mushrooms and whatnot.

Their Caesars are great here, and they use the asparagus instead of traditional celery garbage.

Service was always prompt but never intrusive, they never came by to ask if we required anything, just as we placed a fork in our mouths, which is so important to me, because I hate trying to explain what’s going on with food in your mouth, plus it's rude.

They brought these shark cake things to "excite the taste buds" basically some sort of shark and other mystery ingredients inside a French puff pastry thing (similar consistency to a croissant) but damn were they good.

Following that was the standard bread w/ whipped garlic butter. It was good though, because it was a multigrain loaf baked in house.

I don’t have much to write about dinner other than it was the best steak I've ever had, and trust me, I know my steaks and how to cook 'em. Everyone agreed, it was extremely good. The sides were perfectly cooked, and extremely good. Highly recommend their stuffed potato, or horseradish mashed potatos.

All in all, I would recommend this establishment without a second thought. PERFECT for a corporate dinner, a warm upbeat romantic dinner, or just the need to get out and live the good life for a night.

So go check it out.

sputnik
08-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Vintage is fantastic. My wife and I have gone with another couple for Valentines day for the past few years.

Excellent food and atmosphere! Their wine service is also excellent as they actually let you smell the cork and sample the wine before committing to the bottle.

Ben
08-22-2005, 11:14 AM
They brought out the Butchers board with all the cuts of meat on it, so you can see exactly what it is you're looking for or about to cook. Just stuff like this that really makes it unique

BebeAphrodite
08-22-2005, 02:03 PM
The first three times I was there it was a miss.
The first time I was there basically everyone had some type of steak and it was pretty mediocre - my dish I thought was out right bad.

The only thing I enjoyed the first three times were the mussels and clam chowder.

Decided to try it again and the fourth time it was really tasty only our service was pretty bad because no one came to take our order for about half an hour and we had to flag someone down.

For the price you pay, I don't think it should be like that. So unless someone had something planned there or insisted on going there, I wouldn't chose Vintage on my own.

Ben
08-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite
The first three times I was there it was a miss.
The first time I was there basically everyone had some type of steak and it was pretty mediocre - my dish I thought was out right bad.

The only thing I enjoyed the first three times were the mussels and clam chowder.

Decided to try it again and the fourth time it was really tasty only our service was pretty bad because no one came to take our order for about half an hour and we had to flag someone down.

For the price you pay, I don't think it should be like that. So unless someone had something planned there or insisted on going there, I wouldn't chose Vintage on my own.

Y'know, you seem to get the shaft everywhere you go...

bigboom
08-22-2005, 02:31 PM
ive been to vinatge twice and while the service was great the food itself was meh. it was almost like something i could get at the keg for a couple bucks less...but i will admit the atmosphere of Vintage is like no other.

sputnik
08-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Ben

:werd:

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Perhaps guys like you and I are just a little less picky.

However, I cant stand La Chaumiere.

max_boost
08-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Y'know, you seem to get the shaft everywhere you go... :rofl: ha ha ha

Ok anyway......great review Ben. I just looked over their website and everything looks sooooo goood. :drool:

GTS Jeff
08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Y'know, you seem to get the shaft everywhere you go... I like your subtle diss of CCA.

Ben
08-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Wasn't a dis whatsoever, just stating what I've noticed.

FlySi
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben

:werd:

...always 'disappointed' or 'a miss' everytime. I hope your boyfriend/husband is very rich and/or extremely patient. You need more maintanence than a DSM!

GTS Jeff
08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Wasn't a dis whatsoever, just stating what I've noticed. Oh, I interpreted it as a subtle intonation of high maintenance poseurism.

Myyyy bad.

szw
08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Oh, I interpreted it as a subtle intonation of high maintenance poseurism.

Myyyy bad.

I interpreted it as some sort of innuendo.

My bad.

HRD2PLZ
08-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Do they have any entrees that aren't steak or chicken? reason I ask is, most of my friends/family are huge steak fans and I am not. I haven't had the opportunity to try Vintage yet, but would like to in the near future. Usually we just end up at Caesars, The Keg, Carver's etc.

sputnik
08-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Do they have any entrees that aren't steak or chicken? reason I ask is, most of my friends/family are huge steak fans and I am not. I haven't had the opportunity to try Vintage yet, but would like to in the near future. Usually we just end up at Caesars, The Keg, Carver's etc.

The menu is on their website.

HRD2PLZ
08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

The menu is on their website.

My apologies, I didn't see that the first time around.

core_upt
08-23-2005, 09:49 PM
i liked Vintage last time I was there. I didn't eat, but between the three other people I went with, our 5 bottles of wine were excellent!

I am surprised at how well it does, considering the owner is a fucking douche bag who couldn't run a restaurant to save his worthless lfie.

sputnik
08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
isnt Stephen Ames (PGA golfer) part owner?

t-im
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I find Vintage quite nice. Nice atmosphere - Not too formal, and not too casual..nice and dark decor.

The food is pretty good, except I would stick with the steak/meat dishes. I've had the pasta before and it wasn't that great.

Si_FlyGuy
09-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I absolutely love the decor there. :thumbsup:

Sorath
11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
bump, going here tonight, what do you think is a better choice, the ribeye or the tenderloin or ny strip?

C_Dave45
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
If you like fat...Ribeye
If not, then tenderloin.
I love fat and blue rare, so it's hands down ribeye everytime.
Strip loin to me is, meh.

Ribeye

http://www.kansascitysteaks.com/_FileLibrary/ProductGroup/829/Prime-Boneless-Rib-Eye.jpg

Tenderloin

http://artiesmeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tenderloin1.jpg

flipstah
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Ribeye in rare... :drool:

Sorath
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
i have been leaning towards the ribeye, i just wonder to get the chop or not :nut:

hopefully i dont puke on you at shinny dave!

Sorath
11-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Rib eye was delicious. Cripsy on outside perfectly cooked on inside. Lobster mashed was disappointing.

Disoblige
11-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Went to Vintage on Monday.
Tenderloin, rare.
INCREDIBLE.

It was like butter.
Much much much better than NY strip.