PDA

View Full Version : WTB wireless router and card combo

buddha
08-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey everyone,

My cuz is looking for a wireless router(B or G) and a wireless card. He needs this for his notebook... if that makes a difference. The ones in the store are too expensive, and I bought mine on ebay for $40. So he's looking to spend arouond the same or maybe alittle more. If you have one to offer please send me the info and pics to [email protected] or pm me.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Thaco
08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
memoryexpress.com has a sale right now, $40 for a G router and $50 for a pcmcia card

ronaldo
08-24-2005, 01:10 AM
besy buy is selling both piecies for a total of $20 after rebates

its hawkings router and usb networking key

Godfuader
08-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ronaldo
besy buy is selling both piecies for a total of $20 after rebates

its hawkings router and usb networking key

Great find! I will probably pick it up or order online tomorrow. Anyone else have this? how well does it work?

Mo Squared
08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Works pretty well, bought one today, it wasnt too bad to set up and the key is easy to install. range is decent but setting up WEP can be a bitch if you dont know what you are doing

unfocus
08-28-2005, 12:06 AM
i need to pick up one of these... so hows the distance what if say the moden is at the main floor and ur at the basement.. is the connection still good or poor.. im guessing not that good since its a basement

Godfuader
08-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by unfocus
i need to pick up one of these... so hows the distance what if say the moden is at the main floor and ur at the basement.. is the connection still good or poor.. im guessing not that good since its a basement

Well i had my modem in the basement and tried the signal on the second floor and it was weak. It seems fine if you are going just up a floor or in the same room.

EDIT: I just returned the Hawking router and USB Adaptor. It worked fine for one floor but anything more, it was unreasonably weak.

eblend
08-28-2005, 09:08 AM
can get a smc g router and wireless card in a bundle for 69.99 at compusmart

Godfuader
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
i might get the combo from compusmart.

Question: I have a shaw modem hooked up to my comp in my room thru a cable outlet. I need internet for my dads comp and rather than going thru a router, i want to get a second modem cuz he has a cable outlet right next to his comp. Can i have 2 modems at the same time.
Would this direct cable connection be better than a router/card setup?

thnx

EmJay
08-30-2005, 06:32 AM
i would go with a router set up toonnect both the computers to the internet. IF you decided in getting another modem you would have to buy the modem ($60) which is the same price of a router and probably would have to get another subscription to shaw so wahtever that is per month. Router would make the most sense in a situation like this.

emjay