PDA

View Full Version : Figure I'd try my hand at Japanese!

legendboy
08-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Since the gf doesn't dig fish all that much I don't get out for japanese all that often. I figured I'd give it a try at home!

Tonkatsu + vegetable tempura + rooster brand rice

Turned out really well :drool:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mcdonald/food/cooking.JPG

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mcdonald/food/finished.JPG

not bad for a honkey eh! lol

wildrice
08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow, that looks really good.
:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
08-23-2005, 09:22 PM
wow Crackah, that looks pretty good...:drool:

good on you Corey...haha

gpomp
08-23-2005, 09:27 PM
where's the raw fish?

SteveMo600
08-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Wow man that looks tasty...what's your address and when will you be making that again :drool:

Davetronz
08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
I'd eat that and I am fussier than hell...

BerserkerCatSplat
08-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Tasty looking stuff!

...but did you save the tonkotsu from the tonkatsu? It makes some pretty good soup!

LUDELVR
08-23-2005, 11:11 PM
What the fuck are you doing cooking nigga? Shit, I mean that's why we have girlfriends to begin with!:devil: :rofl: :rofl:

GQBalla
08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
hrmm looks pretty good!!!

not bad for a white guy!!

lol juss joking hrmm....how did you make the tempura?? like the batter!?!?

Skyline_Addict
08-26-2005, 06:37 PM
looks good!

pinoyhero
09-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
What the fuck are you doing cooking nigga? Shit, I mean that's why we have girlfriends to begin with!:devil: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL, seriously though good job man.

dDUB
09-11-2005, 09:39 AM
haha whos the bitch in that relationship :rofl:

JordanEG6
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
that looks tasty guy!! hahaah u sure ur white?! haha looks good...yeah umm...how did u make the batter? :D

Vagabond142
09-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Tempura batter is easier than laying a 5 cent Thai prostitute. The real key to good tempura is to cook it so that the batter is crispy all the way through, and the veggies inside get nicely hot. Crispyness is what makes or breaks tempura.

As for recipes to making tempura, off the top of my head (I cook a lot of Japanese and Italian stuff):

1 egg
1 cup crushed ice
Cold cold cold COLD water
1 cup all purpose flour (preferrably sifted)

Beat the mofugging crap out of the egg, but be careful not to "foam" it too much. If it foams, let it sit for a little (30 seconds) to smooth out. Basically, you want it so that all the "goopy strings" are as broken apart as possible and you have a nice, smooth beaten egg

Add the ballretractingly cold water to the cup of crushed ice. Stir that vigorously for a few seconds until the ice chunkies start to melt away.

In quick succession, add egg then now uber-fucking cold water to flour (which should be in a mixing bowl). While adding cold water, do it slowly but mix the flour and egg quickly but gently while pouring. This ensures a smooth and creamy batter (a key to good tempura). Once all the water is in, beat the mixture with a hand beater, a wooden spoon, your neighbors cat, whatever, just make sure to get as many of the flour lumps out as possible (a good way to do this is to sift the flour into the mixing bowl, to get out the chunkies. Basically, pour the flour into a measuring cup, but don't dump it straight into the bowl. Run it through a sifter (strainer) with a shaking and grooving motion over teh bowl :D)

IMMEDIATELY put that mixture into the fridge (under no circumstances allow it to come to room temp.

prep your veggies and such, then heat up some veggie oil to ~350 F, or, if you don't have a kitchen thermometer, until you can see the oil "swim" amongst itself and bubbles are JUST starting to form around the base edges of the saucepan or deepfryer or whatever you're using . Take your prepared veggies, dip them COMPLETELY into the batter, lift out, allow a small drip to get excess off, then carefully place in the oil. it should snap and hiss and crunch at you, so using tongs to place in oil is a recommendation if you aren't used to putting cold stuff in hot oil. Deep fry on both sides until lightly golden brown, then using a skimmer or oil-proof serving spoon with drain slits on it, scoop out your tempura veggies and IMMEDIATELY onto a paper towel and pat dry. Voila. Tempura a la Vagabond :P

legendboy
09-15-2005, 01:10 PM
I just used a japanese mix i bought at a T&T :D

statick
09-15-2005, 01:14 PM
looks like bomb shit:thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
haha looks pretty good Corey :thumbsup: for a white... ;)

CRXguy
09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Do you deliver, Corey? :D

Good job. :thumbsup:

240droptop
09-19-2005, 11:00 PM
wow tha looks good dam

sexualbanana
09-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Do you deliver, Corey? :D

Good job. :thumbsup: