06-28-2002, 03:51 AM
a cheap macco job is like 500 bucks i think
a custom paint job can cost in to the thousands

legendboy
06-28-2002, 08:09 AM
That looks like Imola Orange, to get a paint job that is that quality proly 20k

Weapon_R
06-28-2002, 09:37 AM
20K for a paintjob??? You can get a Top of the line painjob for about 3-5 thousand

You will NEVER get a job like that using maaco.

A-1 autobody did a custom black with GT-S pearl for my friend for $3000, so a color like that wouldn't be a whole lot more.

rx-7heaven
06-28-2002, 11:15 AM
one of my friend's dad's who restored a 67 mustang got a $2000 paint job and it looks flawless. it looks really good, but it's not a metallic color or anything, but nonetheless, they did a good job.

RiceCake
06-28-2002, 11:20 AM
think most shops will be in the 2-5000 range. it depends on where you go and the people you know. :thumbsup:

macco jobs are :thumbsdow :banghead:

todaB18c5
06-28-2002, 02:15 PM
around 4 - 5 G for a paint like the nsx. It is hard to get a factory quality paint job....

legendboy
06-28-2002, 03:37 PM
First off, that is factory paint. In order to get a car painted to factory or better than quality, including all door jams, complete engine jams ( which includes r&r engine), trunk jams, plus about 30 hours of wet-sand/polishing is going to run u 15k+ mininum at any "Top of the line" shop in northamerica. There are none of thoes shops in calgary. If anyone knows anything about Imola Orange, just call any Spies Hecter dealer and ask how much base/tint, perl clear for Imola is to paint 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear is. My guess is around $2000 for the paint alone.

We were painting Coolermaster Computer cases for Voodoo, we painted Imola and Sandstone perl, to do 8 cases in sandstone was $1200 in paint. Imola is even more $.

max_boost
06-28-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can get a Top of the line painjob for about 3-5 thousand

I don't think so buddy, maybe just for the exterior
For that price you would not even be able to do inside the doors, trunk, engine etc.
But in the end I guess it just depends who you know and what they are willing to charge

MiNG
06-28-2002, 11:51 PM
i got mine done for 2000...there were a few flaws, but it looked pretty good.

Mortimer Schnur
06-29-2002, 01:07 AM
I'm completely with legendboy on this one. If you wanted actual top quality, you're looking at a good chunk of the price of that Acura. We're talking art here. Like an artist vs. painter. And someone with enough bux to custom paint their megabuck ride will know exactly what they are getting and be very fussy about it. It would have to be done by artists, practicing their skill everyday on high end exotics. There just isn't any other way. You could go to a local shop and many can do a great job, but to do a perfect job on something like that requires every stage to be performed flawlessly. So that's why you'd have to find a SoCal shop with tons of awards and only exotics in their shop to pull it off.

Think of it like wine connoisseurs who are very knowledgeable about their grapes so they will pay a lot for something very subtle, but very much appreciated.

Think of the sanding block as Stradivarius' violin making tool. Think of the paint gun as Van Gogh's brush. That's what you're paying for. Skill, eye, art, hands, and in the end, the enjoyment of ethereal beauty.

Church is over.

4wheeldrift
06-29-2002, 07:41 AM
What do you guys think is the best shop in town for doing custom paintwork?

A couple of years ago, I was looking at having a car painted by Andana Customs over Ogden, and having a look around their shop they would certainly appear to be one of the best shops in town for that type of work. In the back was a early 70's T/A that had been stripped right to the frame and empty body shell that was being painted. Now, I'm no body man or anything, but looking at that shell was something else. There was not a blemish to be seen anywhere in the paint, it was mirror smooth. They were in the process of masking the car to airbrush on some kind of detail work (I'm not too sure what, didn't get a look at the sketches). But truly, from all appearances that body shell was a work of art, in and of itself.

TomTom
07-01-2002, 03:23 PM
wheres the best place to get a touchup? i have a spot on the side skirt that is bugging me and wanted to get it touched up.

shadowz
07-01-2002, 07:22 PM
There is nothing like a perfect paint job everyone will agree, for a good paint job though you will be looking about 5-6000 for the exterior and jams and such, but theres still the engine bay and everything else to takei nto consideration, its really hard to put a price on a good paint job

slowcivic
07-04-2002, 11:24 AM
for paint jobs ..you get what you pay for ...a cheap price for a cheap job.

Redlyne_mr2
07-04-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
There is nothing like a perfect paint job everyone will agree, for a good paint job though you will be looking about 5-6000 for the exterior and jams and such, but theres still the engine bay and everything else to takei nto consideration, its really hard to put a price on a good paint job
for 5 -6000 you're gettign hosed, what you need to look for all those small or private shops that have catered to jobs other than just to oem and collsion repair. Excellent 2000 or even less paint jobs are out there, you just ahev to knwo where to look

ConVict
07-04-2002, 12:20 PM
well if this helps any one out i paid in the 2000 range for my paint, and he didnt do door jams or ANYTHING. there are dips all over the car from previous rock chips, small dents he didnt fix, areas that got over spray, areas that got under spray.... it goes on!
for a top quality im going to get first place in a car show paint job... you are looking pretty damn high, specially when you get under the hood, that alone is about 2000 worth of work.. ripping the engine out, sanding it all down, doing all the work, then putting EVERYTHINg from your fuse boxes, to your engine back in... thats about 2 weeks worth of labour

but dont listen to me im stupid

Redlyne_mr2
07-04-2002, 12:39 PM
I'll be takign my car apart myself , that saves a ton of cash..money that I would rather put into the paint job rather than pay to let some 7 dollar an hour body man assistant pull my pride and joy apart

ConVict
07-04-2002, 12:44 PM
:thumbsup:

legendboy
07-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'll be takign my car apart myself , that saves a ton of cash..money that I would rather put into the paint job rather than pay to let some 7 dollar an hour body man assistant pull my pride and joy apart

Bodyshops charge big bux for R & I.