PDA

View Full Version : Hows customs these days?

crazytou
08-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Hows customs these days...i remember back in the day just ask you what youre going down for and thats that...anyone crossed lately??? what do they ask for or what?

Weapon_R
08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Crossed where?

sCream
08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I went across over to Montana about a month ago. They werent too bad, they confiscated our Hot Dog Weiners (it would have been wierd if i just said weiners), but that was pretty much it. We even had 30+ beers in the trunk that they saw plus some tobacco, but it was all good.
Coming back to Canada on the other hand was kind of a bitch, they made us park and they searched our car.

I just found it really wierd that they were a lot more strict coming back into Canada.

rage2
08-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Lesson #1 - Don't lie to customs haha.

I'll let someone else elaborate on that point :rofl:.

benyl
08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Lesson #1 - Don't lie to customs haha.

I'll let someone else elaborate on that point :rofl:.

It might cost you money? ;) ;)

crazytou
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
what kinda id do you need these days? or what do they ask for?

MintRacer
08-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Passport or gov pic ID

I also second the not lieing part as well.

I get the vehicle search every time. Those racist bastards

crazytou
08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
oh so drivers licence is good enough?

saiyajin
08-24-2005, 11:12 PM
drivers license is sufficient but a passport ensures a smoother transaction
or so i heard...:dunno:

MintRacer
08-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Customs can be a bitch if they sense your being lippy and can deny you entry.

But yeah just the driver's is good, passport if you look like a punk.

crazytou
08-25-2005, 08:49 PM
well i wouldn't be lippy to customs agencies.

K271
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
have a passport. Driver's license in general is not enough. They prefer a passport and it'll make thing go a lot smoother. Whatever you do just keep it simple with the answers, don't elaborate. If you stay cool, it's no problem. It's nothing to be afraid off

kenny
08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Things US customs will ask you:

1. Where do you live?
2. What do you do for a living?
3. Who do you work for?
4. Where are you going?
5. Do you have any alcohol or tabacco?
6. Do you have anything else to declare?

First four questions are asked to prepare for question #5.

Then on your return trip to Canada:

1. Where do you live?
2. What do you do for a living?
3. Who do you work for?
4. What was the purpose of your trip in the US?
5. How long were you gone for? (the computer already tells them)
6. Do you have any alcohol or tabacco?

Pretty fun! haha

I crossed the border 10 times in the last week, pretty fun adventure. Oh and as rage2 says, never lie to a customs officer! Unfortunately I'm not going to elaborate for now just dont! for your sake.

Passports will be required to enter the US on January 1st I believe. Can't remember if its 2006 or 2007 but it will be a requirement. I saw that on a poster somewhere on one of my crossings.

Weapon_R
08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
I just came back from Michigan/Windsor area.

They take a picture of your license plate each time you cross the border. You will see several cameras recording your vehicle every time you pass a border officer.

They will ask you name and country of citizenship. Present your passport. They will ask you where you are going, and what you will be doing. How long will you stay. They will ask you if you have any firearms, tobacco or alcohol in the vehicle.

If they feel that you are screwing with them, they will tape a sticker onto your car, where you will be welcomed by the "Asshole Unit". These guys are completely rude and disrespectful. They will yell at you, tell you to put your car keys and your cell phones on the dash. They will search your car up and down for anything they don't want you bringing into the country. They will search underneath your vehicle and bring a canine into the car. After that, they let you go through.

When you come back, same idea. They ask you how long you've been in the U.S., and what you purchased here, including automobile repairs (parts in Detroit are way cheaper than parts in Windsor).

crazytou
08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
crazy shit...

K271
08-26-2005, 05:52 AM
I told everyone so!! I posted somewhere that there were cameras at customs but no one believe me. Thanks Weapon_R for your words. Goes to show, so many skeptics who assume they know it all.

n1zm0
08-28-2005, 04:19 AM
if ur goin over seas, like asia, dont go thru the states, they are tight bottomed about everything, i just got back from malaysia with a full set of coilovers ,bovs and what not, no hassle or tax,came thru Van city from HK. just remember the CDN authorities only allow 2 luggage pieces/person, anymore and theres $$$ involved

crazytou
08-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Well i think customs is over doing it...but security comes in so many different ways.

crazytou
08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Well i got returned back to canada not like i was in the usa for very long...no passport no entry.

Celica TVS3
08-30-2005, 11:24 AM
You drove to the border and they wouldn't let you in because you didn't have a passport?:confused:

Weapon_R
08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by K271
I told everyone so!! I posted somewhere that there were cameras at customs but no one believe me. Thanks Weapon_R for your words. Goes to show, so many skeptics who assume they know it all.

Yes there are definately cameras...I don't see why no one would believe you, there are literally 4 at each counter. During one stop, she says "Is that a P or a B in your license plate" so I knew they were looking right at my rear plate. Once I told her the right letter, she typed it into the computer.

Originally posted by crazytou
Well i got returned back to canada not like i was in the usa for very long...no passport no entry.

Passports are not a requirement, although they will turn back shady fuckers if they do not have the proper ID.

crazytou
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Yep thats what they said anyways ...im a volunteer with red cross and today i got a call being asked to come down to new orleans to help out...hope they let me across...lol..