PDA

View Full Version : Friend needs help

A_3
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
My friend recently got rear-ended while she was stopped at a traffic light. Her car, a 97 Civic Hatch sustained considerable damage, $3000 to be exact. They both got out and exchanged information, insurance, personal info, the usual business. Apparently he was really nice about it, seemed genuinely concerned or what ever. Anyways, she goes in to get the car fixed and guess what... all his information is false, name, liscence, insurance, phone number. So now she's out $3000 grand, is there anything she can do or is she up shit creek? Anything you guys can come up with would be much appreciated by both myself and her. Thanks.

dastick
08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Have her report it to the police! With a file number given to her insurance, she should be covered. Did she not get the real plate # ?

A_3
08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Apparently the plates on the other car were fake. It was a mid 90's white ford van... almost as non-descript as they come.

dastick
08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow...they were prepared!

They didnt happen to try and offer her a persian rug did they?
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97990

ken-gsr
08-25-2005, 12:52 PM
ya holy crap.... who prepares like that to rear end somebody. I bet you the van was stolen and the guy wanted to get out of there as soon as he could. I would report it to the police, and then call her insurance company. Maybe they will have a suggestion of what to do.
good luck, i hope they catch that asshole.
for future reverence, i would actually copy down the VIN number of the vehicle.

ryder_23
08-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by dastick
Wow...they were prepared!

They didnt happen to try and offer her a persian rug did they?
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97990

For some reason, this is the exact same thing i thought of.

3000$ damage eh. Well, a police report should have been filled out by atleast herself, since if over 1000$ damage, a body shop must see a police report before they fix it. So i guess get her to do that now, but doesnt look like there is much she can do. As for this, I think insurance can count it as a Hit n Run, and she can get it fixed that way.

As well, 3000 grand damage on a civic...HOLY SHIT :rofl:

lastprodigy
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
besides the point get them to write it off because that should be around +/- 50% of the cars value

A_3
08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
In retrospect a vin number would have been a great thing to have. But then again, at her best moments, she's not particularly forward thinking. She was pretty shook up and he just kind of took over doing everything (obvious sign that something was up). She was telling me insurance won't let her claim it as a hit and run because she doesn't have collision insurance? I'll mention the fact that she could attempt to write it off, older EK's (and this one isn't in the greatest condition) don't have a huge black book value.

And yes, $ 3000 grand, it was the all Platinum, ruby studed, 1000 hp, 1000 tourqe, Maybach edition of the Civic. She wasn't even driving, her chaufer was supposed to take care of everything... give me a break, i've been up since 4:00am!

Supa Dexta
08-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
besides the point get them to write it off because that should be around +/- 50% of the cars value

it's actually 75%..used to be 50 I think... I just had my car fixed from a hit and run, and the bill was a touch over $6800

:eek:

ryder_23
08-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by A_3
In retrospect a vin number would have been a great thing to have. But then again, at her best moments, she's not particularly forward thinking. She was pretty shook up and he just kind of took over doing everything (obvious sign that something was up). She was telling me insurance won't let her claim it as a hit and run because she doesn't have collision insurance? I'll mention the fact that she could attempt to write it off

Well i dont have collision and i sure as hell have hit n run coverage. SHe must not have theft or hit n run coverage then.

And what would writing it off do? shes then out 3000$+ then, and no transportation? If insurance isnt gonna cover it, why write it off?

dooman24
08-26-2005, 08:16 AM
ouch!!
accident over 1000$ worth in repairs.. you should of called a cops to the accident..
he would of fixed shit up.. scanning shit through..

A_3
08-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Apparently the guy who hit her just sort of took over doing everything. She was pretty dazed from the accident and she said he was extremely nice and knew exactly what he was doing. It sucks that a person would screw another over like that. Worst part is she just moved out, but now chances are she's going to have to move back home because she can't cover fixing the car (which she needs) and her rent.

dooman24
08-26-2005, 10:53 AM
scammers = manipulative..
that does suck..

DelSoln
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Geez that is awful to hear but like dooman24 said she definitely should have called the cops to the scene. Just because the guy tries to take control over the situation does not mean you just sit idly by. You have to look out for yourself when dealing with strangers. You never know who is looking out for your best interests so always be prepared. As for what she can do I think she may be hooped. All she can do is probably give as many descriptions as she can and hope the guy slips up somewhere.