PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes SL??

BlkMaxima
08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Her dad used to have an SL55 AMG and now this what is the exact model on it, Im not good with numbers I like names lol!:thumbsup:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4271/x1pji2hif13kcnzy1spdmlgdahcmbf.jpg

3G
08-25-2005, 09:28 PM
whos dad :dunno:

BlkMaxima
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
A friend of mine

b_t
08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
so you mean to tell me you don't know what an SLR is when you see one?

BlkMaxima
08-25-2005, 09:36 PM
I dont really follow MB so no I probly wouldnt unless I read the emblems, Im a bit more into the cars I can actually afford!:thumbsup:

l8braker
08-25-2005, 09:50 PM
slr for sure :thumbsup: the license plate is 'IT GOHS' right? nice way to spend $600,000+! looks like an sl in the foreground as well...

a friend of mine who is a good customer of lone stars was told that there is another one on its way to calgary! :clap:

BlkMaxima
08-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Im not sure about the plate

Lo)2enz0
08-26-2005, 12:14 AM
isn't that an SLR

but still i would love an sl55, ahh I will have to settle with an slk230 for my first benz

shtock99
08-26-2005, 02:39 AM
they also have a porsh gt2

gpomp
08-26-2005, 02:43 AM
that's a honda civic with lambo doors. :guns:

BubbaSTi
08-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Hmmm wealthy family. What does the guy do, if you don't mind me asking.

/////AMG
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Jesus Christ.

You've seen a McLaren SLR and you don't know what it is. What has this world come to!?!?! :banghead: :banghead:

That "unknown" car he has is a Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR, a SUPERCAR!

Here are some specs to wet your pants; :)

The SLR McLaren is Mercedes-Benz’s entry into the high-performance sports GT category and combines styling elements from original 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SLR roadster, the legendary SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe, and the current Formula 1 Silver Arrow races cars. The SLR McLaren showcases the experience of both Mercedes-Benz and its Formula 1 partner McLaren, and is powered by a hand-built 617-horsepower supercharged 5.5-liter V8, the first engine developed exclusively by Mercedes-AMG. One of the most recognizable styling cues carried forward from the original SLR is the gullwing doors, although on the SLR McLaren the doors are hinged at the front of the door rather than at the roof.
The SLR McLaren is powered by a 617-horsepower supercharged 5.5-liter Mercedes-AMG V8 combined with a 5-speed automatic transmission and AMG Speedshift with Comfort, Sport, and Manual programs. The SLR McLaren body is carbon fiber composition construction and the brakes are carbon fiber ceramic discs with 8-piston caliper at the front and 4-piston calipers at the rear. Under hard braking above 59 mph, the adaptive rear spoiler acts as an airbrake, popping up at a 65-degree angle for increased downforce and improved stability.

Oh and please, please, pleeeeeease get some more pics!
I've been hearing about this SLR in Calgary for a while and no one has goot any pictures.

BlkMaxima
08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't know what he does for a living, own buisness I think, Ya I will try and get more pics this weekend, maybe I can get a ride for some video aswell, but I doubt it!:D

/////AMG
08-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Think positive damn it!! :)

PS. Your first post said "her dad" who is she?

shakalaka
08-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Yea man. If I was you I would be trying to get hooked up with her dude. Who knows if it all works out in the end, you might be set. lol:rofl: :rofl:

shakalaka
08-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima
A friend of mine, Her names Irene do you know her??

Originally posted by /////AMG
Think positive damn it!! :)

PS. Your first post said "her dad" who is she?

viffer
08-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Is Irene single?

:love:

asp integra
08-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
that's a honda civic with lambo doors. :guns:

hahaha ya, thats what i thought it was too, and yes is she single???

E36M3
08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
The SLR looks nicer in person then I expected.. sounds exactly like an SL55. I saw the car out cruising last weekend. The funny thing is that I thought it was an SLK at first (saw it oncoming at first, then saw it later from the side and rear)

Great car, but I doubt I'd buy an automatic supercar.. I think it is fine for the SLs to be auto, but a carbon fiber supercar should give you more control.. I really don't like the manumatic benz transmissions at all.

asp integra
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
The SLR looks nicer in person then I expected.. sounds exactly like an SL55. I saw the car out cruising last weekend. The funny thing is that I thought it was an SLK at first (saw it oncoming at first, then saw it later from the side and rear)

Great car, but I doubt I'd buy an automatic supercar.. I think it is fine for the SLs to be auto, but a carbon fiber supercar should give you more control.. I really don't like the manumatic benz transmissions at all.

i know what u mean, im sure its still so much fun to drive, but i would rather shift gears myself, i think it adds to the overall driving experience

asp integra
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM

i know what u mean, im sure its still so much fun to drive, but i would rather shift gears myself, i think it adds to the overall driving experience

rage2
08-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Don't you have a "SMG" tranny in your car? ;).

The benz autos aren't the problem with the control. It's the lack of a LSD. I'll bet you that any AMG car with an aftermarket LSD would be a night and day difference. Even the SLR doesn't have a LSD. Bizarre.

SLR supposedly shifts even faster than the SL55's tranny, but I'm not sure if the downshifting is improved. Benz quotes really fast shift times but that's just for upshifts, it does take about 2/3 of a second for a downshift, and you have to blip the throttle to match revs. Clever marketing heh.

I personally don't mind the AMG autos, they work fairly well even if you're looking for an involved drive. People stare at me when I rev match in the car, sounds really nice.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
No LSD on the SLR? That's madness... what were they trying to do, shave $10,000 off of a $600,000 car? It makes no sense!

Mercedes = :nut:

CKY
08-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Styling wise all I see is perfection, even the rims are sexy as hell :drool:

P.S. you've got yourself quite a friend

rage2
08-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
No LSD on the SLR? That's madness... what were they trying to do, shave $10,000 off of a $600,000 car? It makes no sense!

Mercedes = :nut:
Easier to drive without LSD. It's an everyday car for the everyday (mega rich) person. Also, the MB ASR system simulates a LSD. Seems to work alright based on Top Gear and Fifth Gear SLR drift action, but definately would not have the crisp feel of a true mechanical LSD.

BTW - only $1000 for a LSD. $5000 for an electronically controlled one with variable locking rates.

E36M3
08-29-2005, 09:00 AM
It is strange that the SLR does not have LSD.. the SL65 does. In Europe you can get the SL55 (and I would assume) the SLR with LSD as an option.

Yeah, I have a car with a sequential manual gearbox, but you have to admit that it is 1000 times better than the AMG transmission.. mostly to me it is just how slow the box is. I would guess that you may be able to speed it up with software and/or some minor tweaks, but you would never match a good SMG box (which I see as being a completely different world than an automatic or manumatic transmission)

Originally posted by rage2

Easier to drive without LSD. It's an everyday car for the everyday (mega rich) person. Also, the MB ASR system simulates a LSD. Seems to work alright based on Top Gear and Fifth Gear SLR drift action, but definately would not have the crisp feel of a true mechanical LSD.

BTW - only $1000 for a LSD. $5000 for an electronically controlled one with variable locking rates.

kenny
08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
The SLR thats cruising around Calgary has some weird HID aiming issues, the drivers side is far too high! I was blinded when I was driving in the opposite direction on 17th.

Just as E36M3 noticed, I too thought it was an SLK until it got closer.

Ariakas
08-29-2005, 10:07 AM
I saw the car yesterday on Crowchild S. Was driving behind it for several minutes before I turned off on 33ave. Same license plate as mentioned above, very nice car.

sexualbanana
08-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by asp integra

I said the same thing about the 360 Spyder I drove a couple weeks ago. It had the paddle shift, it was kinda cool but I noticed that it didn't downshift as fast as I would've liked. I would've much prefered a full manual tranny.

The SLR is damn fancy car. I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I just about shit a brick.

E36M3
08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
You can downshift faster than 200ms or whatever the 360 does it in? I like stick shifts myself too, but I doubt that a human can shift faster than the F1 transmission in a 360.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I said the same thing about the 360 Spyder I drove a couple weeks ago. It had the paddle shift, it was kinda cool but I noticed that it didn't downshift as fast as I would've liked. I would've much prefered a full manual tranny.

The SLR is damn fancy car. I saw it a couple weeks ago, and I just about shit a brick.

l8braker
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

isn't it possible to adjust the timing on the shifts somehow??

BerserkerCatSplat
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Yeah, that makes sense. The SLR is aimed more at the "rich old-person" market rather than the performance enthusiast market. However, I would have expected that they make it available as an option like they do on their other models.

Then again, I would have assumed that a full manual gearbox would be an option, as well.

As for the price... yeah, I had no idea what Mercedes would charge for an LSD, I just took the base price and mutipled by 10. :D

l8braker
09-06-2005, 10:53 PM
slr was spotted: http://exoticspotter.com/list.php?page=0&batch=bt00054/bt00054_108970.JPG&model=all&make=all&location=all

looks funny from that angle......:nut:

asp integra
09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
looks funny from that angle......:nut: [/B]

haha i agree, that looks really strange

?????
09-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Saw it at lone star today too.