PDA

View Full Version : alpine SPS-170A (type S 6.5")speaker problem

luv2xler8
08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
ok well got home with brand new speakers hooked them both up turned some tunes on holy shit worst sound quality ive ever heard..... well then i go work on buddys car go to show him how bad they sound and... they wouldnt even work.. then went and started car and one works still crapy as hell though..... i did check the wires but i had to unhook them because i could not stand how shitty the sound was.... I have NO amp and am running a 400$ clarion deck any ideas on wat this might be?

Jonathan@TCS
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it possible that when they were installed, one of the wires got pinched, and is touching metal, or maybe even the actual terminal is touching metal. This can cause the internal amp to shut down, or sometimes just cause really bad distortion. Check the wires, and see. If possible, pull the speakers out, and hold them in your hand, see if they still sound bad.

spike98
08-26-2005, 03:55 PM
First check and recheck the all connections. Then the grounds.

Then you can check them with a digital multi meter. Pull the deck and test the resistance between the + and - of each speaker. If it reads about 4ohm (or whatever the speakers are suppose to be) then you have no short. If it says ERROR or give you zero or some messed number then there is a pinch/short in the wire.

If the speakers check out fine then it is the deck. Try a different set of speakers that you know work on the deck and see whats up.

luv2xler8
08-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Well Thxs alot for ur help but wat was really needed was to re wire my hole car b/c the wires were frayed and cracked inside the casing and i had to give the speakers a quarter turn b/c they were grounding on the metal where they go